Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2006 10:16:57 AM EDT
Is there a limit on how many AR-15 lowers one can buy in one year? Is there a State or Federal limit? hinking.gif

I'm in North Carolina.  The reason I'm asking is due to a past gun show I bought my 2nd lower this year and the vendor mentioned that I should look into how many I'm allowed to buy, as a private owner.

Is there a limit for a private owner or is it B.S. ?

Thanks for any replys
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...sounds like a well informed dealer..imagine that. You know if you buy more than two the FBI HRT will flashbang the shit out your house, rape your dog, and run off will the spoils of war. Seriously I am not aware of any limits, I average 3-5 lowers a year, I buy and sell quite a bit. But I am sure you are safe.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
 poor dogs
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Just more gun show bullshit.

I think when you become a firearms dealer, the ATF flips a coin, and if it lands on tails they suck 40% of your brain out so that you can spout idiotic misinformation to customers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't mean to steal your thread but I am having trouble just with buying a Lower only.

I am trying to do an FFL transfer in Missouri for a Lower and the first two FFL's I called won't do lower receivers at all. My dealer said he would only do the transfer if it was a complete weapon, the BATF accused him of helping a customer make an Illegal "Assault Weapon". Of course they didn't do anything to him except scare him into thinking they were going to take his FFL. The BATF agent told him that only a Manufacturer could put a upper on a lower, or the lower had to be purchased as a complete weapon to swap uppers.

I couldn't believe the shit I was hearing.

I guess the BATF agent that went after them was even promoted out of office because he is so Psychotic. The second FFL dealer I had talked to said it was because the BATF wanted to know what Caliber weapon was being made.

So all I caught was bits an pieces to a story why they couldn't sell me a lower.

It's all bullshit to me, I don't believe it. There are no laws in MO against buying lowers that I know of. I am pretty pissed off

So for now I am waiting for Stick and Teknic to find me an FFL that will do the transfer for me. I am pretty sure they will come through for me.

Nathan

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, when my FFL did my receiver, they just asked "what caliber?" for the form. 5.56 is what they put down.
and I"m just over in Nebraska.
If you can, Talk to Denny at GlobalTactical.com  he's in Kansas City and can probably help you find a FFL nearby that he's sent a receiver to in the past.

I think, however, that its something like 8 complete rifles that you're limited to building, per year.  I'm pretty sure someone here in the past posted a photo of the dozen lowers they ordered from one vendor, all sequential serial #'s, and had no issues.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think, however, that its something like 8 complete rifles that you're limited to building, per year.  I'm pretty sure someone here in the past posted a photo of the dozen lowers they ordered from one vendor, all sequential serial #'s, and had no issues.

Note that building and assembling are two different things. If you buy every part for an AR already manufactured and put them together, you are assembling the gun. If you buy an 80% lower and finish it, you are building a gun.

Even then, I don't think there are any rules to how many you can build for personal use.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, when my FFL did my receiver, they just asked "what caliber?" for the form. 5.56 is what they put down.
and I"m just over in Nebraska.
If you can, Talk to Denny at GlobalTactical.com  he's in Kansas City and can probably help you find a FFL nearby that he's sent a receiver to in the past.

Well, I would like to see if there are any FFL dealers that are closer so I don't have to drive three hours one way. I have done business with Denny before, he's a great guy and knows what he is doing.

Nathan
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Go here to find FFLs for your area.

Thanks for the Link. One on top is near me, not that far to drive. I'll give him a call first. Hopefully I will have much better luck.

Nathan
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright, I gave him a call and he is going to fax Rainier Arms his FFL today or tomorrow! Thanks for the Help! Only a 20 minute drive and it will cost me 20 bucks for the transfer. This one guy wanted to charge $50.00 . Sorry but no way in hell would I pay that.

Nathan
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just more gun show bullshit.

I think when you become a firearms dealer, the ATF flips a coin, and if it lands on tails they suck 40% of your brain out so that you can spout idiotic misinformation to customers.

so true,  most of the guys i have met make the worst of ARFCOM look like experts
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no limit to how many lowers you can buy, it is the same as buying a complete rifle.  There is also no limit to how many AR's you can assemble with the lowers you bought.  I had an FFL dealer at a gun show once tell me its illegal to buy lowers and then assemble a rifle out of them.  I told him he is retarded and full of shit.  You'd think that a dealer would know the laws but a lot of them don't.  Or maybe he was trying to scare into buying a complete rifle from him.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy buy buy! :D
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go here to find FFLs for your area.

Thanks for the Link. One on top is near me, not that far to drive. I'll give him a call first. Hopefully I will have much better luck.

Nathan

You're welcome.  Glad that it worked out well for you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top