Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2006 6:46:39 AM EDT
Does the government have a spec for 100m accuracy for the M16 a-3/m-4 family of rifles. Is there a accuracy criteria that they must meet for mil. spec. The government has guidelines for everything they purchase, just wondering what they require these rifles to shoot (groupwise).
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Acceptance for M16 was 4.5" and rejection was 7.2" at 100 yards.  Most came in around 3 to 3.5".  Occasionally one would come in under 2".
The new carbine spec is 5" so rejection would be 7.5" which is also pretty poor.  The ammo is required to shoot around 12" at 600 yet they will accept a rifle that prints 5" at 100 or 30" at 600.  Obviously they don't shoot ammo acceptance with a M4 but a bolt gun.  Considering the average rag head is maybe 20" wide at 600, kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it. haha.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff guys! Thanks...I have finally got around to benching my 16" Bushmaster. After being use to my 5 shot 1/2" groups at 100y W/ my .222 Rem 788, I was a little disapointed but not too suprised (Lotta work in that setup though).

I always shoot a min. of five shot groups and sometimes 10.

After getting your feedback I am within the mil.spec. It is real tight at 50m, damn near hole in hole with an occasional flier, but it really loosens up at 100m. It groups around 1" to 2", but it's fliers that piss me off. It sometimes is 3 to 4 inches off target.

I shot the hell out of some 63gr Radway Green and it was consistantly inconsistant. Some Winchester Varmint white box was not much better. I have some 55 gr. Wolf Serbian that I will take out next. I also want to try some factory match stuff. I dont have any dies and really don't want to get started handloading this beast. I'd really like to get good results with the military/NATO stuff.

Thanks again...
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I shot the hell out of some 63gr Radway Green and it was consistantly inconsistant. Some Winchester Varmint white box was not much better. I have some 55 gr. Wolf Serbian that I will take out next. I also want to try some factory match stuff. I dont have any dies and really don't want to get started handloading this beast. I'd really like to get good results with the military/NATO stuff.

You want better accuracy and you're using crappy ammo?

Military stuff is not intended to be moa ammunition, unless it's Mk262.

I understand what you are saying, but one trains with what is available, and what will be used. The weapon is grouping within spec for the NATO Radway. That was the original intent of the thread, and very good information I received as well.

The more you shoot a variety of ammunition, the better you understand what works and what does not work in your weapon. Radway is cheap, and if I’m going to be throwing lead 70m or less, why not shoot Radway. If it looks like it will be >100m+ I am still looking for the right cartridge. That's what this is all about.

Thanks…
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top