Author
Posted: 6/17/2006 1:13:41 PM
A couple of months ago, I ordered a new BM Pred, from my local dealer. Couple of weeks later it arrived. Fit and finish were what one would expect from BM, minus the hammered, unfinished forged looking gas block that detracted from the clean finish found through out the rifle elsewhere. For hose of you not familiar with the predator, yea right who the hell am I talking to here? The predator is a 20" flat top AR variant, designed after there varmint series, but with a 20" barrel rifled in 1:8. This probably old hat to all you guys out here, so I'll get to the part that really matters.
Since my local didn't have the specific glass I was looming to top my rifle with in stock, I went ahead and brown bagged a Tasco Varmint series scope on it. (more on this later). A trip to several different dealers, and Wal-Mart, left me with a variety of different ammo. I decided that on my first trip, I would only feed her the less than premium ammo, to see if i could incite a failure or two, and make my fist post range cleaning of the weapon be as filthy as possible.
What ever I fed the BM Pred, it ate it. Wolf, Rem UMC, you name it, and the BM ate it, flawlessly. The groups with the cheap stuff were. . . . . . . . . well say wide. Maybe 2" at the most, and rarely a 1" would pop up. Luckily low an behold my friendly hand loader buddy starts to doll out some of his better stuff. WOW! #%$%^$%^% WOW!! 1/4" and 1/2" are the norm.
Initially I was concerned about the whole fast twist heavy bullets only barrel which I had come to believe as gospel. I'm here right now to put this baby to bed right now. The heaviest bullet I shot was 60 grains, which one would find at the lighter end of the fast twist spectrum, and the lightest was Gr. I have to let you know that some of the Gr loads were making ragged one hole groups.
Yea yea but those are hand loads, what about factory stuff? I have to admit, I haven't made it to the uber premo stuff like Black Hills yet. To tell you the truth, I don't think I need to. Wal-Mart special 40 gr. 3600 fps Winchester Varmint loads, $14.95 for forty rounds. Its cheap, its dirty, and by all common found advice, the wrong round for my barrel. How about 4 shots in a shiny new quarter at 100M (109yds). Wish I new how do an image.
Any how the rifle shoots like its advertised. Light bullets are no problem. With the cheap Winchester, I had tons of 1" and less groups.

The Glass

Fifty bucks. I know that Tasco is junk and you get what you pay for, but I think this scope might stick around for awhile. The adjustable turrets always came back to zero, the mil dots are right on, cause I checked with a barber pole, and despite the 1" tube, the 42mm objective delivered enough light that I was able to clearly see at the last hour of light. The eye relief is a little tight, and the AO isn't as smooth as one would like, but you know what? It was bucks!!! Its not a Leopold, but you wouldn't think it was that cheap neither.

So, if anyone was thinking about the Pred, do it.