Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2006 5:55:42 PM EDT

I've had an A2 buttstock on my 20" AR10A4 since I've had it...that's what came with it so that is what I have made due with.  After reading how the A2 is basically too long for the entire population of the US, I decided to order an A1 length.  I installed it this evening.  I havn't had a chance to shoot with it, but just holding it, I can't tell a whole lot of difference.  

Most of my shooting is target shooting from prone, kneeling or standing.  When standing I usually use a bladed stance rather than square to the target.  I have noticed that when standing square it is a little easier to keep my elbows down adn tucked but what other differences should I be seeing with the A1 over the A2?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The A1 is only 3/8" shorter. People use what fits them best. I never minded the A2 length. Poeple who wear body armor for a living find that the A1 length fits them a whole lot better, however. It's all preference.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
A2
Designed as a fixed stock, full length rifle to be employed from the prone...

If you need a shorter stock for body armor, get a M4 stock....
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried both and I prefer the A2.  I have a 6 position stock that is A2 length at its furthest extension, and A1 length collapsed 1 position.  The only time any of the shorter lengths get used is when I'm letting other people shoot who are physically smaller than me.  FWIW, I'm about 5'11 and 170 lbs.

-K
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am 5'6"... I swiched to an A-1 and I like it... though I thought it would feel shorter than it does...
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
it's perfect for me, my dad wants a stock longer than an A2
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
A1 for me. Just feels right.

The A2 stock always seemed like bad idea to me, something like this would have made more sense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
The A1 stock is 5/8 inches shorter.  By swapping stocks on an AR10 you've now brought your length of pull down to close to an M16A2 -- the AR10's lower receiver is longer towards the rear for the bolt carrier assembly.

Put an M16A2 and an A1-stocked AR10 side-by-side and you'll see the length is very close if not the same.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The A1 is not as strong as the A2

according to BRII, the A2 is many times stronger construction, and has storage.

There are a couple of other fixed stock options available including:

The Sully Stock (looks odd but incredibly comfortable)

RRA's Entry Stock

The Stubby from Bushmaster

and I believe Bushmaster also has a "Shorty" -  I once bought a BM "Shorty AK" AR15, and it came with a rifle length buffer and action spring, but a shorter than A2 stock
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 4 ARs -
two have Cavalry Arms A1 length stocks , and My SP1 wears an original M16 butt stock.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I'm 6'2" with the 35/36 sleeve and I find that the A1 length fits and balances better for me then the A2. I like a nose-to-charging handle head position and while I can use an A2 without issue, I find the A1 length more comfortable. It seems to me that most of the people who prefer an A2 (or longer) stock seem to like to keep there head more upright and further back from the CH but that's just a casual observation that means nothing

Anyway, as far as the stock strength issue, get a Colt "CS" stock and don't worry about it! It's an A1 length stock made with A2 materials\construction.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for all the input.  

The A1 I got is a Cav Arms C1 so I figure the materials should be as strong as my A2...at least that's what I thought until I began examining it...but that is another topic.

Quality of Cav Arms furniture

I guess I'll try it for a while and see if I can tell a difference while shooting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a CavArms C1 before replacing it with a Colt CS. I'd be the first one to tell you the CA C1 stocks look and feel like cheap POS's but from my own experience and from what I've read, you don't need to worry about them breaking or any other issues. Functionally they are just fine. I would suggest replacing the trap door with one from an A2 if you plan to put anything inside of the butt stock but other then that, shoot it and don't worry about it.

One positive thing about the C1's (other then their cost) is they are lighter then most of their alternatives if that's something you care about?
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I'm 6'2" with the 35/36 sleeve and I find that the A1 length fits and balances better for me then the A2. I like a nose-to-charging handle head position and while I can use an A2 without issue, I find the A1 length more comfortable. It seems to me that most of the people who prefer an A2 (or longer) stock seem to like to keep there head more upright and further back from the CH but that's just a casual observation that means nothing

Anyway, as far as the stock strength issue, get a Colt "CS" stock and don't worry about it! It's an A1 length stock made with A2 materials\construction.

what he said!  
except I'm a few inches shorter than 6'2".  

My A1 is old, and wellllll used when I bought it.  
The cracks near the buttplate havent gotten any bigger!  I have no doubt the A2 is of stronger materials...but the A1 is totally workable.  I doubt I'll ever break it.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top