User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
IMHO, The .223 was designed primarily to use light weight ammo and wound an enemy to tie up four or five enemy support troops in caring for the wounded enemy combatant. It is basically a shorter range weapon for close order anti personal warfare ie Viet Nam. The Garand was an all purpose short or long range weapon but was heavy and so was the ammo. There is no perfect compromise. A Shottie is great for home protection. The AR, when multiple hits are employed will do the job. In a high stress, close quarter situation, shot placement although desireable is not always easy. I keep a 30 rounder with soft points in my Colt AR.

Please, regard all of the above as pure bullshit.  IMHO.

"Anti personal warfare?"  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IMHO, The .223 was designed primarily to use light weight ammo and wound an enemy to tie up four or five enemy support troops in caring for the wounded enemy combatant.

Is this a godam joke?  I defy you to find ONE written example of this.  Please keep in mind that if the idea is to tie up enemy resources, then we should just have the first large unit in contact surrender en masse at the first shot.  Then the enemy is tied up handling a metric assload of prisoners.  With them distracted and occuppied doing the S's on our original unit, we can air assault a Girl Scout troop in to whack them.  Sound stupid?  Yup, but so is that bullshit wound not kill crap.  The biggest assumption that you make is that the enemy we fight has the skill, capability, and desire to care for their wounded.  Would you please indicate who we've fought since WWII who displayed that.  Complete shit.

It is basically a shorter range weapon for close order anti personal warfare ie Viet Nam.

Wow, that was some foresight to see ahead something like a decade before we ever got involved in SEA to come up with the program that lead to the M16.

A Shottie is great for home protection.

Yeah if you like large heavy weapons that put multiple projectiles downrange with each shot, have a very limited mag capacity, take several seconds to reload, are harder to control for many people, and are load sensitive if you worry about cycling or overpenetration.

The AR, when multiple hits are employed will do the job.

Umm, yeah.  One shot will do if put in the right place.

In a high stress, close quarter situation, shot placement although desireable is not always easy.

Is the shotty somehow immune to this?

I keep a 30 rounder with soft points in my Colt AR.

At least you got something in that post right.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The current issued SS109rnd is a POS. The Iraqi's I hit with it kept running. You could see dust come off their man dresses, they would stumble but keep running most of the time. When used on the wild dogs, it would take several shots unless they took one in the head or spine. The 5.56mm would NOT be my first choice of caliber for serious social events in FMJ form.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any comments about the comparison in stopping power (lethality) between the 5.56 and the .308? I have my AR for home defense but continue to hear negative comments about its' ability to lay a guy down with one shot. I have not had real world experience with "putting a man down", but it is my opinion from range practice, that I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of my rounds.

Thoughts?

thanks guys,
Degreeone

That’s why you have a 30 round mag
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The current issued SS109rnd is a POS. The Iraqi's I hit with it kept running. You could see dust come off their man dresses, they would stumble but keep running most of the time. When used on the wild dogs, it would take several shots unless they took one in the head or spine. The 5.56mm would NOT be my first choice of caliber for serious social events in FMJ form.

As a vet - I thought you would know.... you weren't issued SS109 - US troops are issued M855.... which happens to fall into SS109 specifications.  Were you shooting european ammo?  

Did you also carry a 7.62x51 small arms weapon, and have side by side comparisons?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top