ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:42:37 PM EST
I've been considering a couple of SBR's, but after thinking about it for awhile, I'm not sure.

Several Points:

SBR's - Tax Stamp and 'paperwork', restricitons on out of state, where and when I can take it, etc.

Pistols - No resitrictions of above, can just about carry it anywhere, as my CCW, etc.

What are you guys thoughts? I do travel alot out of state, since I live VERY close to state lines. Seems like a Pistol (or several) would be almost as good, excepting the 'stock' of course, but considering all the hassle of the SBR's....anyway...can't sleep...and just thinking out loud! href=http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
topgunpilot20
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:00:44 PM EST
What will you be using it for?

The AR pistol is a fun range toy.
The AR SBR is fun at the range, but is also a great HD/SD gun.
TaylorWSO
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:32:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 10:33:08 PM EST by TaylorWSO]

Originally Posted By ScotClayton:
I've been considering a couple of SBR's, but after thinking about it for awhile, I'm not sure.

Several Points:

SBR's - Tax Stamp and 'paperwork', restricitons on out of state, where and when I can take it, etc.

Pistols - No resitrictions of above, can just about carry it anywhere, as my CCW, etc.
What are you guys thoughts? I do travel alot out of state, since I live VERY close to state lines. Seems like a Pistol (or several) would be almost as good, excepting the 'stock' of course, but considering all the hassle of the SBR's....anyway...can't sleep...and just thinking out loud!

--Scot
www.ScotClayton.org
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.AR15info.org
p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif</a>

Your going to carry a AR Pistol as your CC weapon?
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:58:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

Mostly Range, plinking, etc. but you just NEVER know! href=http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/17/2005 11:01:51 PM EST

Your going to carry a AR Pistol as your CC weapon?hr

No...but since it's classified as a pistol, I can carry it just about anywhere, vehicle, etc. That was my point...and I actually COULD carry it concealed, I guess...but my point is the 'convienence' of being a pistol as opposed to being a rifle, and especially a SBR....comprende?

--Scot
www.ScotClayton.org
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.AR15info.org
http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
NAM
Shut up and color
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/17/2005 11:21:26 PM EST

Your going to carry a AR Pistol as your CC weapon?

No...but since it's classified as a pistol, I can carry it just about anywhere, vehicle, etc.

That's what i love about ND. You cna carry anything. pistol, rifle, showgun, subguns, AOW, you name it. heck, you coudl even carry chuck norris, if he'd let you.
Isaiah 16:11 "Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp..."

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
GENESMITH
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 1:16:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

Not a flame, just a curious question: would not a AR pistol work just as well for HD / SD as a AR SBR? Have never shot a AR pistol so I don't know how it handles, but since it's the same round, I'd think they are the same, infact I think the pistol would be better. Smaller, easier to handle etc.

I ask because I'm thinking about buying / building an AR pistol.

Thoughts?

Gene
EVERY SHIP IS A MINESWEEPER..... ONCE
U.S. NAVY MINEMEN
NAM
Shut up and color
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 1:32:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By GENESMITH:

Not a flame, just a curious question: would not a AR pistol work just as well for HD / SD as a AR SBR? Have never shot a AR pistol so I don't know how it handles, but since it's the same round, I'd think they are the same, infact I think the pistol would be better. Smaller, easier to handle etc.

I ask because I'm thinking about buying / building an AR pistol.

Thoughts?

Gene

They both shoot about the same. However, the stock of an SBR makes it more controllable and makes follow up shots quicker.

For me, the AR pistol is for hip/point shooting. The SBR is for aimed fire.
Isaiah 16:11 "Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp..."

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
eklikwhoa
ADDICTED
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 2:53:54 AM EST
both!
FUNction over form

my replies consist of my opinions, my $0.02 worth so take it or leave it
eye_spy
Pinoy Ini
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 3:07:25 AM EST

--Scot
www.ScotClayton.org
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.AR15info.org
p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif

Sorry to be off topic, but what up with all "that"? Credentials? For info.?
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:38:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By eye_spy:

--Scot
www.ScotClayton.org
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.AR15info.org
p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif</a>

Sorry to be off topic, but what up with all "that"? Credentials? For info.? hinking.gif

Just some of my websites....href=http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:40:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
both!

Now...I have to admit, that's a GREAT idea! href=http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
aecasasus
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 7:27:48 AM EST
IMHO...I don't like the way the buffer tube is exposed on the pistol, so I, BY FAR, like the SBR more than the pistol. I rather have an SBR and also be able to adapt a forward pistol grip, than just have a BIG pistol for CCW.

Just my $.02!!!
Mute
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:04:25 AM EST
An SBR also has alot more real estate to add goodies (optics, NV, flashlight, etc....).
StealthyBlagga
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:18:04 AM EST
AR Pistol is a range toy.

If you want a CCW, then carry a Glock or similar - an AR pistol/SBR is just plain too big for any sort of convenient carry unless you like trench coats and are expecting trouble.

If you want a truck rifle, then carry an AR carbine... it is really not much bigger than an SBR/pistol, especially if you disassemble it. If you want something small and instantly ready to go, then try an AK underfolder, which is the same size as the smallest AR SBR/pistols:

DocGP
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:18:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mute:
An SBR also has alot more real estate to add goodies (optics, NV, flashlight, etc....).

As far as 'hanging goodies' on, you can make a pistol have just as much room.

I have never hung anything but a sling on the buttstock.
az-gunner
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:32:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 8:37:44 AM EST by az-gunner]
I couldn't decide either. Here's what I have so far. Now I'm broke for a while. I hope to be able to afford the SBR fees next year. Then I can put the pitol uppers on the SBR lower.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=261292

While were talking about the "applications" of the AR pistols. I'll just say that they fall in line with "applications" of the HK SP-89.
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:21:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By aecasasus:
IMHO...I don't like the way the buffer tube is exposed on the pistol, so I, BY FAR, like the SBR more than the pistol. I rather have an SBR and also be able to adapt a forward pistol grip, than just have a BIG pistol for CCW.

Just my $.02!!!hr

I agree, I 'like' the looks of a SBR better, etc. That wasn't my question, or any of my points.
Since most SBR's are almost/or the same barrel lenghts, their performance is about the same, ballistically, right?

...but most places (I think approx 30 states) I could carry my AR Pistol or AK, or HK, or whatever in my vehicles, across state lines, take with me anyplace I could my normal CCW, but the SBR, technically I have to have permission to take it across state lines, etc. tax stamp, paperwork, etc, etc...k? href=http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:22:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mute:

Really? That I don't get...most would have EXACTLY the same room for 'goodies'! One doesn't usually mount a bunch of 'goodies' on the stock, right?

--Scot
www.ScotClayton.org
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.AR15info.org

ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:26:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
AR Pistol is a range toy.

If you want a CCW, then carry a Glock or similar - an AR pistol/SBR is just plain too big for any sort of convenient carry unless you like trench coats and are expecting trouble.

If you want a truck rifle, then carry an AR carbine... it is really not much bigger than an SBR/pistol, especially if you disassemble it. If you want something small and instantly ready to go, then try an AK underfolder, which is the same size as the smallest AR SBR/pistols:

You are missing my point, I t hink too...I DO carry a 'regular' sidearm of various makes as my regular CCW, but since it's LEGAL to carry a pistol, I could just about carry a AR pistol, or AK, HK, etc, etc...just about anywhere...

Most states that allow CCW, don't allow loaded rifles, whether they are carbines, or underfolders, etc...but a pistol would be legal...right? href=http://p3.hostingprod.com/@ronniejamesdio.org/diobannerwerock.gif
ScotClayton
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:32:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By az-gunner:
I couldn't decide either. Here's what I have so far. Now I'm broke for a while. I hope to be able to afford the SBR fees next year. Then I can put the pitol uppers on the SBR lower.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=261292

While were talking about the "applications" of the AR pistols. I'll just say that they fall in line with "applications" of the HK SP-89.

Yeah..I hear ya...

I'll probably eventually pick up a couple of SBR's, but I was thinking since I've got a few regular AR's, AK's FAL, etc that I might put up a pistol first (or make one, etc.) and it wouldn't be so restrictive as a SBR, because of the paperwork, etc. I don't think I'll have ANY problems with the local sigs, as the current, and next possible Sheriff are family friends...anyway...I'm rambling a bit today...

Didn't get much rest last night
...anyway...some great discussions....I've lurked here for quite awhile on and off over the years, but just started posting here....

Hope everyone gets LOTS of weapons for Xmas!

LTR

--Scot
www.ScotClayton.org
www.RonnieJamesDio.org
www.CraigGoldy.org
www.SMCProductions.org
www.TonyIommi.org
www.AR15info.org

Real_estate_salesman
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 11:02:30 AM EST
I've dinked around with the concept of an AR pistol, but I haven't done it yet (I still have 4 receivers left out in the shop). Something about that buffer tube just looks kinda gay, like a big dildo sticking out towards my face or something.

On the other hand I have 4 AK pistols, 3 AMDs 1 Yugo Krinkov and plans to cut a romanian kit into a pistol. I feel they are great defensive weapons, I've shot the krinkov from the modified weaver stance with far better accuracy than my 8" ruger redhawk.

If you do buy/build an AR pistol just use the CAR length tube, as the old pistol tube was unreliable. I see the 7 1/2" barrels are prone to needing tinkering to run 100% as well (from what I hear 11 1/2" is the only length than runs very well out of the box.)

My only gripe with the AR platform is the buffer tube though.

I see where you're comeing from with the CCW thing, you just want to keep it in your car, right? Luckly in my state you can carry loaded long guns conceiled even if you don't have a CHL.

No, I wouldn't buy a SBR, most people will tell you never to use a NFA weapon as a defensive weapon, it should be kept in a safe.
BigHunt
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 11:20:51 AM EST
Here in Missouri we are allowed to carry any "concealable firearm" that is any firearm with a barrel shorter than 16" concealed in a vehicle WITHOUT a permit and are allowed to carry the same outside of a vehicle with a permit. Rifles, shotguns, and handguns may be carried openly fully loaded if you wish but it is not a good idea in St. Louis and Kansas City, Cape Geardeau and surrounding metro areas because Missouri cities are allowed to prohibit open carry but not concealed carry. So under the concealable firearm definition short barreled shotguns under 16" SBR's and AOW's are all allowed to be carried under Missouri's concealed weapon statute.
NVGdude
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:30:09 PM EST
A good friend of mine picked up an AR-15 pistol at last years CRW/SAR show. Had it about one month before he decided to put in the SBR paperwork. The AR pistol is an incredibly awkward muzzle heavy beast. His new SBR is a really handy little thing.

Paperwork took about 9 months :-(
James_Brown
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:44:59 PM EST
That guitar case full of guns is boss. Alls you are missing is the mariachi suit.
CavVet
Freeman
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:50:05 PM EST
In WA you cannot have a loaded rifle or SG, to include a loaded mag in the rifle or SG. We alos cannot have SBR or SBS.

You can have a loaded (AR) pistol of any kind, hell you can carry it if you so desire.

I have 2, and love them.

One is on a single point sling, and hangs just right to be carried if need be.

The other is a work in progress.

Shooting? Just great!

Libtards are proof abortion is necessary amongst us.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED