Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Author
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:32:36 AM
[Last Edit: 1/27/2012 1:08:22 PM by WW-TechSupport]
There has been a lot of discussions on the forums about "Commercial vs Mil-spec" buffer tubes. A lot of people seem to suggest that commercial spec tubes are not as strong as Mil-spec tubes.
The main difference is the the mil-spec are deep drawn from a single slug of material while the commercial are a tube with an end cap welded on to the back. Good welds are as strong as the parent material so strength is not an issue if done correctly.
Whether one is better than the other is irrelevant if neither one fails under heavy use. As I stated in another thread in my experience with another AR manufacturing company we put at least a million rounds through a test lower with a well built commercial
spec tube and it never failed.
Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:32:10 AM
[Last Edit: 1/27/2012 9:45:11 AM by Aimless]
Supposedly commercial receiver extensions are usually extruded 6061 aluminum while Colt and the Colt clones use forged 7075 aluminum. Firing it a bazillion times may not place the same pressures on the receiver extension that mortaring it or falling on it would, not that I have any proof that there is a real world difference
John Willis OSOE http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/929579_John_Willis__OSOE.html
eodinert
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 9:38:03 AM
Doing IMT with it will stress it far more than shooting it. Forged is stronger.

The main reason commercial sucks is that if you don't know about the difference, there is a 50% chance you'll buy the wrong size.
WW-TechSupport
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:07:55 PM
Thanks for the input here. We got feedback at SHOT show regarding mil-spec tubes as well. Between the feedback there and here on ARF.com we are revisiting the issue and will be having meetings and discussions regarding this.
Whether there is an advantage in favor of mil-spec tubes or not there is definitely a percieved advantage. Therefore we here at WWI thinks it is worth further discussion.
Thanks again to everyone that posts their opinions here.