Author
Posted: 4/13/2013 4:03:06 AM
[Last Edit: 4/19/2013 1:30:35 AM by maveric23]
I have a SP223 Lower with the Seekins Precision Enhanced Bolt Catch. I noticed something unusual earlier today. When I pull the charging handle back slowly from full battery with a properly seated empty magazine, the bolt catch will engage behind the rear of the bolt's locking lugs preventing the BCG from moving backwards. At the same time, the magazine follower engages the front of the bolt preventing the BCG from moving forward. In this position, the BCG is stuck and can't be moved unless the bolt catch lever is depressed or the magazine is dropped to disengage the follower.

I found a video of the issue from another user who has the same problem.

Is this something that is a big concern? If so, is there a solution to this issue? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
Traderjac
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/13/2013 8:03:32 AM
Why would one pull the bolt handle back on an empty Magazine?
Find the Bastards, then Pile On.
spizike9
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/13/2013 5:58:24 PM
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
Why would one pull the bolt handle back on an empty Magazine?

+1
heatseekins
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/14/2013 12:40:15 AM
A empty mag is going to push up on the catch. If there is nothing in the catch's way it's going to move. The area between the carrier and bolt lugs is smaller so it's going to try and raise up if you let it. It won't catch in there when you fire your last round. It will lock the bolt back.
Magsz18
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/15/2013 2:23:30 PM
My Seekins bolt catch does not engage as much of the locking lugs as any of my milspec catches.

Should i be concerned about this? With less bearing surface i believe eventually i might experience premature bolt lug shearing but this is purely speculation.

Do i have a defective part or was this catch designed this way? My sample size is one so unfortunately i have nothing else to go by.

I can acquire pictures if necessary.
heatseekins
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/15/2013 2:50:06 PM
[Last Edit: 4/15/2013 2:51:48 PM by heatseekins]
there is a fairly large range of engagement for your catch onto the lugs with mil spec parts. The lugs are under stress when you fire and all the catch does is stop the bolt from going forward afterwards. You should be good to go.
craigos
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/21/2013 9:40:12 PM
You will find Lancer AWM mags do this all the time. I personally modified the floor plate on them and they work perfectly.

Seekins - may want to check the new PMAGS M3 20 rounders (they are curved, not straight). Got to jam them hard up to get them to seat as the new mags have a bump on the rear that hits the mag well.
henrypbui
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/22/2013 9:42:18 PM
Mine does that too on the same lower. Ive tested that on 2 other plain forged lowers and they dont do that though. Do you think over time it could cause harm to the bolt lugs or the bolt catch over extended use since it has to force the lug past the bolt catch by force?
maveric23
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/25/2013 11:11:55 AM
I believe that the issue is with the bolt catch design. Specifically, the Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch doesn't have a beveled top edge at the front like the standard mil-spec bolt catch. This extra metal is catching the rear of the locking lugs when the BCG is moving rearward.

The issue is readily apparent when you see them side by side. In the picture below, the Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch is on the left and a standard mil-spec (from White Oaks Arms) bolt catch is on the right. The red boxes highlight the area at issue.

ZINCOGNITO
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2013 8:59:01 PM
Originally Posted By maveric23:
I believe that the issue is with the bolt catch design. Specifically, the Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch doesn't have a beveled top edge at the front like the standard mil-spec bolt catch. This extra metal is catching the rear of the locking lugs when the BCG is moving rearward.

The issue is readily apparent when you see them side by side. In the picture below, the Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch is on the left and a standard mil-spec (from White Oaks Arms) bolt catch is on the right. The red boxes highlight the area at issue.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-29A-VExQkdk/UWmg7qBailI/AAAAAAAAAgY/n6C2Vw-TUGY/s720/IMG_0268a.jpg

Has this been resolved?
razorblade
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2013 5:52:17 PM
I just got finished filing a bevel on mine. They both work great. I might have to harden the surface to match the rest of it. The steel seems to divot easily, from the bolt lugs.
w1ngsmk
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2013 12:55:10 AM
Originally Posted By razorblade:
I just got finished filing a bevel on mine. They both work great. I might have to harden the surface to match the rest of it. The steel seems to divot easily, from the bolt lugs.

Nothing like Real World customer feed back .......popular products get bought, listening to feed back gets the bug's (sic) worked out ... makes a better final product .... Yes ?
heatseekins
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2013 3:26:39 PM
We did change it to put a larger chamfer in that area to mitigate any possible issues. The mil spec bolt catch i have that i modeled ours off of does not look like the one in the pic above. The DPMS ones i have do.
MaynardJamesKeenan
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/4/2013 5:00:46 PM
Originally Posted By heatseekins:
We did change it to put a larger chamfer in that area to mitigate any possible issues. The mil spec bolt catch i have that i modeled ours off of does not look like the one in the pic above. The DPMS ones i have do.

Changed as in when and what runs?
1HeavyMetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2013 10:41:36 PM
Heatseekins, Any eta on the next shipment to Brownells? This is the last piece for the current project. Thanks.
heatseekins
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2013 11:40:25 PM
[Last Edit: 6/6/2013 11:41:01 PM by heatseekins]
They are in heat treat and coating right now. There has always been a chamfer on the area in the pic, some are larger than others and the factory bolt catch's vary quite a bit too. The batch we just got has a very large chamfer on that area. Im not sure how many of these will go out as individual pieces. We expect about 2000 billet lowers to come back to be assembled at about the same time.
Sheetz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2013 8:32:47 PM
any idea when you guys are doing another batch of these? Did the increased chamfer fix the issue?
maveric23
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/25/2013 10:56:01 AM
Some people are taking matters into their own hands and filing a larger chamfer into their Seekins Precision Enhanced Bolt Catch as shown in this picture:

dbrevelle
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2013 12:23:01 AM
Maveric.. so did this correct the problem? How does it run now?

I just purchased one yesterday from Primary Arms, I hope Seekins has corrected the latest batch, asuming I ordered one from the latest batch.

Can anyone frome Seekins Precision or Primary Arms confirm this?

DCB
maveric23
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 2:27:42 AM
[Last Edit: 8/21/2013 2:31:03 AM by maveric23]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By dbrevelle:

I just purchased one yesterday from Primary Arms, I hope Seekins has corrected the latest batch, asuming I ordered one from the latest batch.

DCB

I didn't do the modification, but the member that did indicates that it works and runs fine. Like me, he was concerned that the bolt catch was damaging the rear of the bolt locking lugs. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet...
heatseekins
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 3:38:29 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By maveric23:
Originally Posted By dbrevelle:

DCB

I didn't do the modification, but the member that did indicates that it works and runs fine. Like me, he was concerned that the bolt catch was damaging the rear of the bolt locking lugs. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet...

If your un happy with your catch we will swap you for a new one. the new ones do have a larger chamfer but we also havnt had any issues with any of them we are running. My personal 3 gun rifle has the very first prototype on it and i couldnt count how many rounds i have fired in it. Just let me know.
patrick0525
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/11/2013 12:46:55 PM
[Last Edit: 9/11/2013 12:53:10 PM by patrick0525]
Just got the new enhanced bolt catch assembly with the chamfered edge. Looks great .
Thank you Glen and the Seekins team for making it right!

ScoeyAz
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2013 11:30:23 AM
Customer service was amazing and I love the new stickers!
4 bolt catches later :-)