Author
Posted: 7/29/2011 3:37:02 PM
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 5:17:12 PM by Snake_driver]
I'm getting ready to order a 16" mid-length A4 from RRA and I can't decide on whether to order the chrome lined barrel vs. the std. chrome-moly. and I can't get a straight answer from anybody on which is better. I am fully aware of the issue on why the chrome was added to the M16's back at the beginning of their production and understand the issue with chrome being better for long term durability on a fully automatic weapons that could have long engagements using full auto. fire.

On the other hand I understand that the chrome lining in the barrels hampers accuracy because it's hard to get a good consistent chrome thickness throughout the barrels length. I'm not worried about my bore rusting either, I always keep my guns clean. Some of my most accurate rifles are 100 years old, yet the bores are still mirror bright without any chrome lining. My concern is to achieve the best accuracy possible from my RRA-AR.

Has RRA done any testing on their barrels to determine which is more accurate between the chrome lined and the standard chrome moly.?
LDES
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2011 3:42:11 PM
Yes. Cromed barrels are less acc. Crome moly is more acc. I have their 16 middy and also a 20 bull barrel in SS. Both from RRA. LOOOOVE THEM...
RRAMODERATOR
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:08:26 PM
Yes, and while I don't have the exact testing matrix that we used, we found that there is a POTENTIAL for some degradation for accuracy in a chrome-lined barrel. That potential degradation ranged ranged from statistically insignificant to 1/2 MOA.

Steve/RRA
Snake_driver
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2011 5:24:50 PM
Originally Posted By RRAMODERATOR:
Yes, and while I don't have the exact testing matrix that we used, we found that there is a POTENTIAL for some degradation for accuracy in a chrome-lined barrel. That potential degradation ranged ranged from statistically insignificant to 1/2 MOA.

Steve/RRA

That's my general impression too. If you get a good chromed barrel it will work well, but if you get one with a poorly applied chrome lining then it will yield poor accuracy.

This confirms my desire to go with an un-chromed barrel in the standard chrome-moly.

Thanks Steve, I enjoy reading your posts and am not deterred by the RRA bashers.
Weldingrod
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2011 6:12:15 PM
I have a 20" Standard A2 with chrome that will shoot 1 MOA (5 shots) with match ammo. Now that is with iron sights, so I don't know what the gun is actually capable of,