Site Notices
8/22/2014 4:19:20 PM
Author
Posted: 10/31/2013 9:51:03 PM
For you guys that have bought both the PSA Classic LPKs and the PTAC/Blackhawk LPKs from Palmetto State, is there a visual difference between the two?

I know the PSA Classics LPKs usually come in the bag with the PSA logo. But as far as the individual pieces (trigger, hammer, etc.) , can you tell just by looking at them which pieces are from the PSA kit and which are from the PTAC/Blackhawk?

The info on the PSA site regarding the PTAC/Blackhawk built kits is rather lacking.
gabeowp
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/1/2013 9:58:32 AM
i returned all my ptacs after using one. they are crud and highlighted by the worst trigger ive ever felt. stick with the psa kit as a min. The PSA with QMS trigger is my new basic kit
SwannyJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/1/2013 10:50:46 AM
I have a P-TAC sitting here just for spare parts if I ever need them. As part of a package deal, it was an almost free LPK. That said, I got what I paid for. I can't imagine ever using the trigger parts, except maybe in a dummy gun or airsoft. The engagement surfaces are coated with gritty finish. They are obviously different than the parts in any other LPK I have ever seen. The other parts look OK.
txgunguy
Creepy Ass Cracker & Teahadist
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/1/2013 9:40:13 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By SwannyJ:
I have a P-TAC sitting here just for spare parts if I ever need them. As part of a package deal, it was an almost free LPK. That said, I got what I paid for. I can't imagine ever using the trigger parts, except maybe in a dummy gun or airsoft. The engagement surfaces are coated with gritty finish. They are obviously different than the parts in any other LPK I have ever seen. The other parts look OK.
What parts are different? I just got a PTAC lpk and the only thing I can see is where the trigger and hammer connect, needs to be polished. Doesn't look like anything some Flitz can't fix.
HankC
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/1/2013 9:46:21 PM
Have both could not tell the difference except packaging.
Fullbore
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2013 11:58:58 AM
I've used both(not by choice). The Ptac trigger sucks and the pins are unusually tight going into the receiver. Additionally my rear takedown pin doesn't have the usual positive engagement. I much prefer the PSA kit.
CRIDEMM24
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2013 2:36:27 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By HankC:
Have both could not tell the difference except packaging.

This is my experience as well.
SwannyJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2013 10:01:27 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Fullbore:
I've used both(not by choice). The Ptac trigger sucks and the pins are unusually tight going into the receiver. Additionally my rear takedown pin doesn't have the usual positive engagement. I much prefer the PSA kit.

That's 2 of us for frills.
AZJim
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2013 10:30:51 PM
I received a PSA LPK last week with (supposedly) a classic LPK. The travel and feel are not what I expected, based on others reports. Trigger pull has much creep and very rough- the opposite of what I had read. I am apprehensive that the P-Trac fire control group is now being shipped instead of the original FCG. Can anyone tell me if either has any distinctive markings on the components? The FCG I have from Stoner is much better for about the same price. If this is PSA norm, I'll write it off to product education, and order a couple more from Stoner, for my next 2 builds.
SwannyJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2013 9:53:47 AM
AZJim, as previously stated, the major difference that I noticed right away is that the engagement surfaces on the trigger and hammer are covered with finish on the P-TAC. If yours are polished to bare metal, than I'd say you got the right thing. My PSA classic trigger is great, rivaling my QMS, but I believe they get parts from multiple suppliers, so quality may vary. The Classic is "mil-spec," and a gritty trigger can meet this minimum standard.
Python00
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2013 2:47:40 PM
have build 2 PSA lowers lately using both and can not tell the difference between the two, have done trigger jobs to both and have now have a good two stage feel. Stayed around the 5lb mark.
jncryer
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2013 5:12:01 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By gabeowp:
i returned all my ptacs after using one. they are crud and highlighted by the worst trigger ive ever felt. stick with the psa kit as a min. The PSA with QMS trigger is my new basic kit

Gordianus
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/5/2013 10:52:14 PM
The PTAC kit trigger spring and hammer spring seem to be of thinner, less quality metal.

I took the carbine I just finished with the PTAC LPK to the range today, ran about 200 rounds through it.

The trigger seemed to be no more, or less gritty than any other mil spec trigger.

Nothing broke,

The take down pin and pivot pin do seem very tight.
GoKart_Mozart
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 1:18:53 AM
I started this thread originally because I was accidentally sent the wrong lower parts kit and wanted to be able to tell which one I actually had. After having both a PTAC and a PSA Classic LPK installed in the same lower, here are my thoughts.

I ordered one of the lightweight premium uppers with what was supposed to be a PSA Classic build kit about a month ago, but it arrived with a Blackhawk stock/grip and a parts kit in a plain plastic bag (all of the other PSA Classic LPKs that I've seen have been in either the white cardboard box and/or the plastic bag with the blue PSA logo on it). I suspected that since I was sent the Blackhawk furniture, I likely had a PTAC LPK as well. The most noticeable quirk was that the trigger was very gritty on initial takeup even though the contact surfaces on both the trigger & hammer were polished.

Around that same time, a co-worker of mine received a PSA Classic MOE kit to put in his new lower. I borrowed his finished lower and did some direct comparisons between several of the components in our two lowers:

1) First of all and most importantly, his trigger felt just absolutely fantastic compared to mine. This was a deal breaker for me because the feel of the PSA classic trigger is why I wanted the Classic LPK in the first place.
2) Takedown & pivot pins appeared lighter in color on mine
3) Trigger & hammer springs appear to be slightly thinner or have a different finish on the PTAC kit
4) My buddies selector switch has a nice crisp positive engagement; the PTAC feels a bit sloppy in comparison

I contacted PSA customer service through this sight; they were fantastic to work with and I'm extremely pleased with their response and the outcome. Based on the fact that I had the Blackhawk furniture, they figured I likely had the PTAC LPK instead of the PSA Classic. They worked out an exchange on the LPKs with me. I just now got the replacement PSA Classic kit installed and I'm 100% thrilled with it. Trigger is perfect & the selector feels just like the one on my buddy's lower.

So in summary, the PTAC LPK is probably fine but I had felt a few PSA Classic triggers before...and the PTAC trigger just wasn't there, IMO.

YMMV.
GoKart_Mozart
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 8:21:43 AM
[Last Edit: 11/9/2013 8:22:21 AM by GoKart_Mozart]
Also, forgot to mention that one of the casting marks was different on the PTAC trigger. Mine had a circle with the number 4 in it and both my replacement PSA classic trigger and the one that my buddy received both had a circle with a 6 instead.

Don't know if this is a definitive way to tell a PSA from a PTAC, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
APBullet
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 9:38:34 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By GoKart_Mozart:
I started this thread originally because I was accidentally sent the wrong lower parts kit and wanted to be able to tell which one I actually had. After having both a PTAC and a PSA Classic LPK installed in the same lower, here are my thoughts.

I ordered one of the lightweight premium uppers with what was supposed to be a PSA Classic build kit about a month ago, but it arrived with a Blackhawk stock/grip and a parts kit in a plain plastic bag (all of the other PSA Classic LPKs that I've seen have been in either the white cardboard box and/or the plastic bag with the blue PSA logo on it). I suspected that since I was sent the Blackhawk furniture, I likely had a PTAC LPK as well. The most noticeable quirk was that the trigger was very gritty on initial takeup even though the contact surfaces on both the trigger & hammer were polished.Around that same time, a co-worker of mine received a PSA Classic MOE kit to put in his new lower. I borrowed his finished lower and did some direct comparisons between several of the components in our two lowers:

1) First of all and most importantly, his trigger felt just absolutely fantastic compared to mine. This was a deal breaker for me because the feel of the PSA classic trigger is why I wanted the Classic LPK in the first place.
2) Takedown & pivot pins appeared lighter in color on mine
3) Trigger & hammer springs appear to be slightly thinner or have a different finish on the PTAC kit
4) My buddies selector switch has a nice crisp positive engagement; the PTAC feels a bit sloppy in comparison

I contacted PSA customer service through this sight; they were fantastic to work with and I'm extremely pleased with their response and the outcome. Based on the fact that I had the Blackhawk furniture, they figured I likely had the PTAC LPK instead of the PSA Classic. They worked out an exchange on the LPKs with me. I just now got the replacement PSA Classic kit installed and I'm 100% thrilled with it. Trigger is perfect & the selector feels just like the one on my buddy's lower.

So in summary, the PTAC LPK is probably fine but I had felt a few PSA Classic triggers before...and the PTAC trigger just wasn't there, IMO.

YMMV.

You described the PTAC kit I ordered.
On my tombstone I want – “What a long strange trip it’s been”
pgaplayerless
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 7:37:19 AM
I have 2 PTAC LPKs and 3 PSA LPKs.

There are just VERY minor difference between them.

1. Both kits have the trigger and hammer engagement surfaces precision ground.....and both are better off being polished. Quality wise they are the same.
2. The small parts....pins, mag button, springs.....are the same between them.
4. The medium parts.....bolt/mag catches.....look identical in quality.
3. Hammer and trigger spring are coated BLACK for PSAs and left in natural finish on the PTAC. I think this might be a way for PSA to quickly tell the two apart.Wire gauge wise they are the same.
5. The coating on the steel parts looks to be BLACK on the PSAs, while just GRAY on the PTAC. Something tells me coating was one of the cost cutting measures on PTACs

So far I only used the PTAC kit to build. After polish, the trigger has awesome two stage feel with light and precise break.
ToledoXJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/19/2013 11:02:11 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By pgaplayerless:
I have 2 PTAC LPKs and 3 PSA LPKs.

There are just VERY minor difference between them.

1. Both kits have the trigger and hammer engagement surfaces precision ground.....and both are better off being polished. Quality wise they are the same.
2. The small parts....pins, mag button, springs.....are the same between them.
4. The medium parts.....bolt/mag catches.....look identical in quality.
3. Hammer and trigger spring are coated BLACK for PSAs and left in natural finish on the PTAC. I think this might be a way for PSA to quickly tell the two apart.Wire gauge wise they are the same.
5. The coating on the steel parts looks to be BLACK on the PSAs, while just GRAY on the PTAC. Something tells me coating was one of the cost cutting measures on PTACs

So far I only used the PTAC kit to build. After polish, the trigger has awesome two stage feel with light and precise break.

What areas do you polish? MS paint? My PTAC trigger feels like breaking glass.
pgaplayerless
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/20/2013 8:11:21 AM
Both ground surfaces of the trigger, and then the small "ledge" catch surface on the hammer. Do it until mirror finish. I also break all the edges on those surfaces with very fine stone/detailing sand paper just to remove all the impossible-to-see-yet-still-there grind burrs.