Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 8/25/2013 4:38:26 PM
[Last Edit: 8/25/2013 5:30:52 PM by detacbob]
Picked up a Recon 308 two weeks ago and finally got it to the range today. I attempted to fire 200rds of various manufactures. Ammo from Prvi, PMC, Hornady, and Remington. Mags were DPMS, Pro Mag, and MagPul Pmags.

The rifle simply would not cycle. Attempted all of the above ammo and mags in various combinations. The entire 200 rounds required manual manipulation of the charging handle to load rounds. The bolt cycle enough to eject a round, however, it did not cycle far enough to the rear to pick up a new round. BCG was run very wet using SLIP2000. I also noted carbon leaking around the front edge of the gas block.

Purchased this with the intention of running it in Heavy Metal Division 3.

Suggestions?
HOGAR
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2013 9:51:52 PM
What is very wet ? To wet can cause the action not to function properly what you are describing very well could be just that I would clean the rifle and lube it as described in manual and shoot it again
DPMS
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 10:23:59 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By HOGAR:
What is very wet ? To wet can cause the action not to function properly what you are describing very well could be just that I would clean the rifle and lube it as described in manual and shoot it again

No, the number 1 reason for AR cycling issues is lack of lubrication. You cannot over lubricate the AR bolt and carrier assembly.

This is posted on the top out our fourm...

If your brand new DPMS rifle will not cycle or jam's right out of the box 99% of the time it is because...

Bolt carrier assembly not lubricated or under lubricated
Wrong or out of spec (bad) ammo

Lubrication:
Regardless what you may have been told your NEW DPMS rifle needs oil to run!
We recommend "excessive lubrication" on the bolt carrier assembly during break in (100-150rnds) for proper function.

Oils that work are:
Any thick gun oil, brand not important (motor oil consistency)

Oils that do NOT work:
Rem-oil
dry lube
Teflon or moly based
aerosol sprays
grease
anything with a light and watery consistency

Ammunition:
Ammo quality and performance varies greatly from brand to brand lower quality (cheaper) ammo will result in poor accuracy, excessive powder fouling, cycling and chambering problems, excessive parts wear. In some cases catastrophic failure may occur resulting in person injury or worse!

Good ammo:
Brand name US Factory made brass cased ammunition (Remington, Federal, Winchester ect)

Bad ammo:
Steel cased (brands like Wolf, Tula, Brown bear, ect) imported surplus, reloaded, "no-name" off-brand ect. Remember bad ammo is bad ammo period!
DPMS Firearms

3312 12th Street SE
St. Cloud, MN 56304
1-800-578-3767
www.dpmsinc.com
detacbob
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 11:19:33 AM
[Last Edit: 8/26/2013 11:42:23 AM by detacbob]
DPMS-

I listed the ammo used in my original post. None of which was steel cased. Reference lubrication; the rifle is heavily lubed with the Slip. To the point of lube nearly running everywhere.

Had the fail to feed been an isolated incident I could see an ammo, mag or lube problem. I was able to use a reasonable cross section of ammo and mags. During my range session, it never feed a single round on its own. Every single round of the 200. My initial observation makes me feel that the gun is undergassed. I simply want to get this gun running efficiently. Thanks.

DPMS
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 12:51:22 PM
detacbob,

We will take care of your issue no problem

We do test fire all rifles a minimum of 10 rounds before shipping, if your rifle will not chamber on it's own right out of the box most likely something has changed from when it left the factory.

Before we send you a call tag to have the rifle sent back just a couple questions if you have some time...

Was the rifle brand new?

Was the rifle modified/changed in any way by you or the dealer? (swapped stock, trigger upgrade, ect?)

You said you used several kinds of ammo and magazines, did you try just American made ammo in the factory DPMS magazine?

So we have a better understanding was does "required manual manipulation of the charging handle to load rounds" mean?

DPMS Firearms

3312 12th Street SE
St. Cloud, MN 56304
1-800-578-3767
www.dpmsinc.com
detacbob
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 1:29:57 PM
[Last Edit: 8/26/2013 1:53:37 PM by detacbob]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By DPMS:
detacbob,

We will take care of your issue no problem

We do test fire all rifles a minimum of 10 rounds before shipping, if your rifle will not chamber on it's own right out of the box most likely something has changed from when it left the factory.

Before we send you a call tag to have the rifle sent back just a couple questions if you have some time...

Was the rifle brand new?yes weapon was purchased from dealer NIB

Was the rifle modified/changed in any way by you or the dealer? (swapped stock, trigger upgrade, ect?) I Swapped the AAC flashider to a PWS brake. Then reinstalled the AAC with no improvement in feeding.

You said you used several kinds of ammo and magazines, did you try just American made ammo in the factory DPMS magazine? Yes. Remington was tried in the factory mag

So we have a better understanding was does "required manual manipulation of the charging handle to load rounds" mean?Bolt would close on an empty chamber. I would then charge the weapon by cycling the charging handle.

Responses in Bold. Thanks.
DPMS
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 3:35:40 PM
We covered the bases and she needs to come back to find out what the issue is. Please send a PM with your contact info and SN of the rifle and we will take care of the rest.
DPMS Firearms

3312 12th Street SE
St. Cloud, MN 56304
1-800-578-3767
www.dpmsinc.com
detacbob
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 6:10:31 PM
PM Sent