Site Notices
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
Posted: 9/12/2009 9:52:49 PM
[Last Edit: 9/13/2009 1:08:51 AM by ftldrben]
Does anyone have a DMPS .308 SASS or any DPMS .308.

Aside from the two threads I've found, I'm looking for some arfcom experiences with this caliber in from DPMS. I want a .308 SASS and don't want to wait for an OSR or have to pay for an AR10 SASS....unless DPMS cannot compete.

I have a POF P-308 16" in the safe...it needs a friend.

Any help would be appreciated!
"Is it 2012 yet?"
st33ve0
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/23/2009 10:34:16 PM
I should be able to tell you more about mine when I get it from my FFL here pretty soon [I hope]. A few people on sniper's hide have them with nice glass and said they're good performers. I'm looking forward to putting her through her paces asap
west2746
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/3/2009 2:15:23 AM
I have one but have only put 40 rounds in it. I like it so far. I really looked into buying a SASS Vs. another brand or building my own. For everything that comes with the rifle it was the cheapest way to go. I really looked at getting a RRA 308 but by the time I added a rail and PRS stock and a few extras I was at or over what the SASS cost. The rifle is very well built. My only complaint is the rail is not the same as a DD or Troy but it does the job. My question is if you can afford a POF then why look at DPMS?
bowslngr
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:43:03 AM
I built a SASS-like gun from DPMS parts (with the exception of the stock) including the DPMS SASS barrel and I really am happy with it so far. That said, I only have about 75 rounds through it so far. It fired and functioned reliably from the first round, and seems to shoot fairly accurately. Even though the barrel isn't broken in yet, it consistently shoot 5 shot groups of the cheapest Winchester hunting load I could find at about 1.75" at 100 yards and shoots similar groups of Corbon 168 grain HPBT Match at just under 1". I am going to start some load development with handloads this weekend and expect that I will be able to get well under 1".
eastTXhunter
www.dallasshootingsupplies.com FFL/SOT
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2009 6:52:23 PM
microsuck1 has one and he loves it. Its dead nuts reliable and accurate.
Dallas Shooting Supplies FFL/SOT Class 3 Dealer

"Low price guarantee!"

www.dallasshootingsupplies.com

1-888-280-3847
15330 IH 635 #106
Mesquite, TX
Keigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2010 3:49:52 PM
I am just breaking in the barrel on one, only twenty rounds so far. I like it! I'll post groups and further comments and the break in proceeds next weekend.

Cheers, Keigan
AL50bmgshooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2010 6:13:00 PM
Ive had one on back order with DPMS for almost a year now. It would be nice if I could get it
1971DJD
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2010 6:44:05 PM
I use a DPMS 24" bull .308 to shoot 1000 yard stuff and it shoots great. I haven't done true precision type stuff at 1000 but have got many 10-15" 5 shot groups out of it at that range. As far as close stuff, out to 600 it has always held close to 1/2 MOA.
Love the gun, had a SASS but wantd more velocity so went to the 24"
GunFrog
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2010 10:48:57 PM
What do you want the gun to do, what level of accuracy/ reliability?

I have the DPMS 16" 308, shoots about 1.25 min. I have gotten 5 to 7 inch groups with it at 500 yards. I was on the line with 4 other guys shooting 16" SR-25s and they where shooting about the same. All groups considered I would have to call it a better than 1.5 min gun but not quite a shoot better than a minute of angel all the time. I have used it in some 3 gun competitions, and am happy with the accuracy. I have had some extraction problems, with 7.62 ammo, it is one of the early guns with a 308 chamber. I polished the chamber and clean it (chamber) after every stage in a match and it runs.

I got a new barrel from DPMS in 7.62X51 and re barreled it, only got about 40 rounds through it, but no extraction problems and the same level of accuracy.

My friend has the same gun and his runs great,

308 ARs are finicky, my opinion, I believe they are ammo sensitive depending on, location of gas port, size of port, weight of buffer, buffer spring strength, allowable bolt travel, burn rate of powder used, dimensions of cartridge and quality of brass.

The mid length system with 18" barrel on the DPMS SASS should be a good combo.

My experience with customer service from DPMS has been outstanding.

I guess what I am saying is, get a DPMS SASS, you could pay more money for a 308 AR, and still have to work through an issue.

I just put together a DPMS SASS, all DPMS except for rail, trigger, grip. Will shoot it this week and let you know how it shoots.

happy shooting, gunfrog

bullride8
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:22:08 AM
[Last Edit: 1/31/2010 7:22:53 AM by bullride8]
I do have a SASS that currently sits unfired and for what it is worth............

I had the opportunity to talk with some of the instructors of the US Army Sniper School. I mentioned I had purchased a DPMS SASS. All three of them stated they preferred the DPMS against the other two commonly known (and more expensive) competitors. I am not going into detail about what they said.......needless to say, I'm happy I went with the DPMS after the conversation.
GunFrog
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2010 1:50:25 AM
[Last Edit: 2/3/2010 1:52:52 AM by GunFrog]
Got to the range with DPMS SASS, only got 40 rounds through it. Runs good. Only shot at 100 yards. After sight in and break in I shot 3 , 5 round groups with BH 168, Groups ran from .7 to .9 inches for 5 rounds, but in each group, 4 of the rounds where right at or just under 3/4 min.

So in review: Pull trigger it goes off and is ready to fire again. 80% of the time the round will strike less than .4 minutes from where I am aiming, the odd 5th round will be about .5 minutes off,

I am happy with that [:)

I also have an SR25 which does not shoot any better than this. Will do a side by side when I get a chance and post some pics of the groups. r gunfrog

hawkin
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2010 11:39:23 PM
I'm building mine. Just waiting on the SASS FF tube (which I don't see in their new catalog) that is enroute as I type this and the 308 FF tube wrench. Should have pics this weekend!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT!_______________________
gmor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/15/2010 5:54:02 PM
[Last Edit: 2/15/2010 5:56:50 PM by gmor]
i got a DPMS SASS .308 at an auction last year in 100% as new condition with 6 factory mags (4 in unopened packages) for $1206 total out the door cost!!!!
VoodooChile
Just Smile and Wave Boys
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/28/2010 11:14:17 AM
[Last Edit: 2/28/2010 11:20:50 AM by VoodooChile]
Originally Posted By gmor:
i got a DPMS SASS .308 at an auction last year in 100% as new condition with 6 factory mags (4 in unopened packages) for $1206 total out the door cost!!!!

right there with you...one SASS with 2 mags for $1200 yesterday...I wasn't even in the market for one and I snatched that up

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=993&aid=25536&lid=7089219#topoflot

There, I said it...Don't tell me you weren't thinking the same thing!

I just want to go to the backyard, get a stick, and clean this thread off the bottom of my shoe....
Keigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2010 10:56:44 AM
I have access to two in .308.

Number 1 holds sub moa at 100 yards without trying, using the hood of my truck as my bench (not stable).

Number 2 is into DPMS for warranty work, we do not share the same opinion of accuracy or quality on this rifle. So I paid them to fix the rifle for what I beleive is non-acceptable manufacturing tollerences - hopefully they return to me the part that I asked them to replace.

I hope to shoot both rifles this weekend and I'll provide pictures of the groups.
Keigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2010 12:41:26 PM
DPMS did not return the part that I asked and paid them to replace. The rifle now shoots straight. It was raining this weekend, so no pictures, maybe next weekend.
slipjett
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2010 10:24:54 PM
Originally Posted By Keigan:
DPMS did not return the part that I asked and paid them to replace. The rifle now shoots straight. It was raining this weekend, so no pictures, maybe next weekend.

What?
Dan_Gray
just shut up.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2010 10:27:03 PM
Originally Posted By AL50bmgshooter:
Ive had one on back order with DPMS for almost a year now. It would be nice if I could get it

call bullseye firearms in little rock, ar. I watched them take in a damn near brand new one saturday on partial trade for a repr. I think the guys gonna regret the trade.
http://www.pennies4penny.org/ check that out, help out if you can.
Keigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/22/2010 10:13:11 AM
[Last Edit: 4/22/2010 10:29:31 AM by Keigan]
Originally Posted By slipjett:
Originally Posted By Keigan:

What?

That is correct..... I sent the rifle in for two warranty concerns, trigger and accuracy. They adjusted the trigger no problem, but we agreed to disagree regarding the accuracy of the rifle. Fine.... The barrel works fine, holds sub-moa at 100 yards without trying - my concern regarding the accuracy was that the barrel seems to not be aligned with the upper receiver.

a) the air gap between the gas block and the free float hand rail was not the same on left side and right side, right side was significantly less then left side - one could conclude that:
a.1) if we assume that the barrel was aligned to the upper receiver, then there must be some manufacturing tollerence concern with the free float hand guard that is producing the differences in gap between the gas block and the inside of the free float hand rail
or
a.2) if we assume that the barrel was not aligned to the upper receiver, and that there were no issues with the manufacturing tolerences of the free float hand rail - then we could conclude that the air gap differences between the gas block and the inside of the free float hand rail are caused by the barrel not being in alignment with the upper receiver

Precision rifle test:
If a scope is zeroed on rifle A, mounted to PIC Rail on upper receiver - you should be able to move the scope and mount to Rifle B and things should be "close" for the zero. that is assuming that Rifle A has the barrel in aligment to the upper receiver, and Rifle B has the barrel in alignment to the upper receiver.

I have access to two DPMS SASS in .308 - Rifle A and Rifle B

Leupold Mark 4 zeroed on Rifle A at 100 yards, then moved to Rifle B - same day, same ammo, same conditions.... Rifle B POI is 11 inches to the RIGHT based upon the scope move. Inspection of Rifle B showed a significant bias of the air gap on the gas block to the inside of the free float hand rail - indicating that the barrel was pointing more RIGHT than centered. BTW, yes I have anti-cant devices on both rifles and the bubble was zero at time of testing.

Rifle B was sent in for the warranty work, DPMS Techs confirmed that the rifle holds sub-moa accuracy at 100 yards - but we agree to disagree regarding the importance of barrel alignment to the upper receiver. Fine, replace the upper receiver, cost me about $200 for new upper receiver and labor.

They did not return my original upper receiver, I did not care to chase it down with them. I suspect that detail measurements on the upper receiver would tell the truth. The rifle now shoots sub-moa so I am happy, the scope move between Rifle A and Rifle B required only two clicks to adjust POI to POA.

IceHammer
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/15/2010 9:12:01 PM
My SASS is the same way. Shoots M80 ball awful, 3 out of 10 rounds on a paper plate at 100 yds, but shoots the federal 165gr. trophy bonded bear claw sub moa. Optic is a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50. My forearm /gas block is the same way.

Did it make a difference once you sent it back?

I know the 1:10 twist is slow for 147gr. so is this extreme in accuracy with M80 ball normal? The ammo is good, SBS '08 de-linked.

Tom
Keigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2010 4:59:47 PM
Originally Posted By IceHammer:
Did it make a difference once you sent it back?

Hopefully my posts describe that, Yes, the change that I requested made a difference in my perception of the accuracy of the rifle.
Carcajou
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2010 5:11:09 PM
I have one that I used at GPS Defense Sniper School. I was the only one in the class not using the Rem 700 Bolt. My rifle shot every bit as well as the Remingtons but my follow up shots were MUCH quicker than everyone else there. I was able to shoot consistently out to 922 yards in the class (that was the furthest any shot in the class). It is a subMOA rifle (at least with match 175 gr.)
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
-Thomas Jefferson
Keigan
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/18/2010 9:48:31 AM
Originally Posted By Carcajou:
I have one that I used at GPS Defense Sniper School. I was the only one in the class not using the Rem 700 Bolt. My rifle shot every bit as well as the Remingtons but my follow up shots were MUCH quicker than everyone else there. I was able to shoot consistently out to 922 yards in the class (that was the furthest any shot in the class). It is a subMOA rifle (at least with match 175 gr.)

That is great news - I have not taken mine past 400m yet, I'm also shooting 175g.
shawn_c992001
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2010 9:38:58 AM
This is the first 3 rounds out of my LR-308 AP4.

That black dot is 1"
hawkin
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2010 5:41:50 PM
SASS FF tube will be showing up tomorrow.. That makes the final part for the build.. Now need to choose an optic??? Was thinking a Super Sniper 10X42. Or something variable up to 10 power.. Anyone own a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT!_______________________