Site Notices
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Author
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:48:37 AM
Ray Tanner must have just gotten some flat top 9mm carbines in.

Colt 6951

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere else. Q-net in the sandbox is atrocious.

LTK
GlockSlap
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:30:36 AM
Nice, but price. Ow...
ssgjason
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 3:00:02 PM
Originally Posted By GlockSlap:
Nice, but price. Ow...

Not saying that is a good price, but it seems about on par with previous models prices
JL_2112
You no want breakfast??
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:54:51 PM
Originally Posted By GlockSlap:
Nice, but price. Ow...

I don't think i've seen a 9mm AR for under $1100 in the past several years.
noisemaker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:10:33 PM
Someone has some nice pics of one in the wild. It looks as though they machined the FA and brass deflector off of the raw forging from a regular flat top. I kinda think the leftover lines after the machining look cool.

Colt 6951 pics on Imgur...

LTK
George_in_Wis
Retired Army Temp
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:39:07 PM
Nice pics.

I wonder what Colt's reasoning is for machining the humps off A3 receiver forgings, rather than simply starting with forgings that have no humps. They're available –– RRA and others use them.

Must be a good reason, but I can't figure out what it would be.
CAR_16
Gold membership generously donated by mac130.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:19:47 PM
I am glad these are finally out in the wild.
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its maximum hour of danger. You are that generation, that is your role, this is that moment.

-Judge Napolitano
hARd_time
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 7:08:26 PM
The price may not be great, but given the fact that there are very, very few out there I don't think it's out of line. I called Tanners and they don't have anymore. They only received seven of them and don't know when they'll get anymore. I'm thinking about grabbing one from somewhere. I don't see anyone else having them in stock right now.
JMR
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 7:19:07 PM
[Last Edit: 3/22/2012 7:20:10 PM by JMR]
I thought the AR-6951 came with a carry handle and not a BUIS ?

It looks better without the LEO markings too.
AggiePhil
Texas Aggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 9:23:34 PM
Wow. Nice!!! I thought they were just going to convert the 6450 rifles to flat tops. Guess they decided to give it an entirely new model number.

I'd like to get one and send it off to Adco to be cut down to 10.5". I guess the gas port would have to be adjusted too, huh?
PistoleroJesse
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 11:07:58 PM
Originally Posted By JMR:
I thought the AR-6951 came with a carry handle and not a BUIS ?

Are you maybe thinking about the 6450 that has the A1 carry handle?
ssgjason
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 9:36:25 AM
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
Wow. Nice!!! I thought they were just going to convert the 6450 rifles to flat tops. Guess they decided to give it an entirely new model number.

I'd like to get one and send it off to Adco to be cut down to 10.5". I guess the gas port would have to be adjusted too, huh?

The 9mm is blowback, no gas system
AggiePhil
Texas Aggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 11:06:27 AM
Good to know!
maleante
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:25:36 AM
Originally Posted By noisemaker21:
Someone has some nice pics of one in the wild. It looks as though they machined the FA and brass deflector off of the raw forging from a regular flat top. I kinda think the leftover lines after the machining look cool.

Colt 6951 pics on Imgur...

LTK

I hope Colt didn't cheap out and use those junk magpul sights. It also appears that they are no longer painting over the rollpin holes in the lower receiver... or they ran out of a bucket of paint...
I'll save my thoughts on the people who can spend any amount of dollars on a rifle but can't devote 20 minutes to getting their body in shape for another thread. -skinnysarge79
Mac_Fan
Han shot first!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:36:21 PM
Nice to see these out finally.
"Flyin' through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy."
ssgjason
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 12:40:52 PM
These seem rather hard to find.
Is anyone keeping these in stock? Or where are they all at?
Woody600
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 2:18:56 PM
Do I want to eventually score a 6951 upper receiver for my 6450 or just put a 2X ACOG in the carry handle and call it good?
JMR
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 7:17:29 PM
On Colt's LE website it shows the AR6450 with a detachable carry handle, guess in production the BUIS won out.

Predator
I drank a case of beer, just to watch it die!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 9:33:11 PM
On Colt's LE website it shows the AR6450 with a detachable carry handle, guess in production the BUIS won out.

http://www.colt.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=q874E_AThFk%3d&tabid=77&mid=462

That picture is actually a 9mm lower with a 5.56mm upper. Not an accurate representation of anything.
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." -George S. Patton
Woody600
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 10:01:37 PM

Originally Posted By Predator:

That picture is actually a 9mm lower with a 5.56mm upper. Not an accurate representation of anything.

Pssst, pssst, your gas tube is showing.

JMR
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 11:47:06 PM
[Last Edit: 4/4/2012 11:50:16 PM by JMR]
It's actually a SMG lower, notice the rollmark and go fast pin. Who knows what is going on with the upper no doubt pre-production.
My first 6450 built in 2005 had a hole in the upper for the gas tube even though it's a blow back design go figure. The bottom line is no carry handle for the AR6450 or AR6951.

hARd_time
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 6:34:39 PM
Questions for those "in the know" on the distribution process with Colt guns. They use wholesaler/distributors, correct? I don't understand why the larger Colt retailers, at least larger to my knowledge, haven't received any of these yet a couple of smaller places have popped up with them. I know Tanner's is a decent size dealer, but SAW, Knesek, Clyde's, etc., don't have them. I saw that someone posted a picture (on another forum) from a place that they had bought one from that I've never heard of and a place had them on GB over the last week, also that I'd never heard of. Knesek lists them but does not have them in stock. How can they get to smaller retailers before they get to the larger ones? It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm sure there is a good reason for it and they'll start showing up in more places.

Also, someone indictated on another thread that Colt told them that they are only doing one run of these a year now. I thought that they did two of them in the past, possibly one in the spring and one in the fall, if I remember correctly. Anyone know if this is correct and if so how many they would run? I tried calling Colt this afternoon to ask them and was on hold for what felt like forever and finally hung up.

Thanks.
JMR
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/10/2012 12:37:34 AM
[Last Edit: 4/10/2012 12:39:10 AM by JMR]
I've have owned 2 AR6450 one was made in April 2005 (sold it) and the other was made in Feb 2010.
The 2 serial numbers differ by only 2,630 in 5 years of production so I think the 9mm production cycle is a short one.
From what Colt has told me in the past they only make them during the first months of the year so they can be hard to find.
Predator
I drank a case of beer, just to watch it die!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/12/2012 2:44:50 AM
Originally Posted By hARd_time:
Questions for those "in the know" on the distribution process with Colt guns. They use wholesaler/distributors, correct? I don't understand why the larger Colt retailers, at least larger to my knowledge, haven't received any of these yet a couple of smaller places have popped up with them. I know Tanner's is a decent size dealer, but SAW, Knesek, Clyde's, etc., don't have them. I saw that someone posted a picture (on another forum) from a place that they had bought one from that I've never heard of and a place had them on GB over the last week, also that I'd never heard of. Knesek lists them but does not have them in stock. How can they get to smaller retailers before they get to the larger ones? It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm sure there is a good reason for it and they'll start showing up in more places.

Also, someone indictated on another thread that Colt told them that they are only doing one run of these a year now. I thought that they did two of them in the past, possibly one in the spring and one in the fall, if I remember correctly. Anyone know if this is correct and if so how many they would run? I tried calling Colt this afternoon to ask them and was on hold for what felt like forever and finally hung up.

Thanks.

How are you defining large vs small in the dealer category? To me based on sheer order numbers, MGE is large and Clyde and Knesek are small. So what are you basing it off of exactly?
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." -George S. Patton
hARd_time
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/13/2012 3:14:03 PM
[Last Edit: 4/13/2012 3:25:29 PM by hARd_time]
Originally Posted By hARd_time:

Thanks.

How are you defining large vs small in the dealer category? To me based on sheer order numbers, MGE is large and Clyde and Knesek are small. So what are you basing it off of exactly?

Predator,

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I would think it would be based off of number of Colt units bought and sold, no? I'm not sure of any other way to define it.

I will confess that I am not familiar with MGE. They may very well buy/sell more Colt guns than anyone else. Have they had any 6951's for sale? If I am looking at the correct site then they don't have them either and my main point is still in order. Why would Colt ship just a few of them out to smaller places and none to the larger or more notable vendors? Or, does Colt not ship directly to vendors and for some reason a wholesaler is deciding where they are going? It's not a major issue, just something that I thought about when looking for one and has me wondering about the distribution process. Thanks.

ETA: Is MGE a wholesaler? That wouldn't be the same as the other vendors mentioned then.
Industry » Colt