Author
Posted: 12/11/2011 12:06:02 AM
I saw the sale on ArmaLite AR 10 flattop uppers, without the forward assist. Anyone have any experience with these units? Fit, finish etc. I am a dedicated ArmaLite fan from way back, and I'm curious as to the real necessity of the FA in the first place. I plan to swap it out with the carry handle version currently on my rifle.

I have shot thousands of rounds from my AR 15 Nat. Match in local DCM matches over the years, and my new-ish AR 10, and cannot EVER recall actually have to use the FA. By the same token, I read all of the ft fire, ft to extract, failure to ....stories here on the site and I begin to wonder.

I guess I must be the luckiest man in America, but my rifles just never seem to have the issues I read about, at all. They just run, and run, and run. And I can tell you my guns would not pass muster in the barracks in re cleanliness. I don't mistreat them, but I don't do a surgical clean every time I shoot them either.

As always, thanks in advance for any info you all can provide as to whether you think this purchase is ok, or would I be better served stepping up to the regular configuration version. 44-40
Doin' my best to keep the cars rollin', one well at a time. Drill Baby Drill!
SharpCharge
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/11/2011 1:59:12 AM
I've got an AR10 A2 with no FA, and I've never wished I had one. Thanks for the heads up on the sale too, I've been looking to "repurpose" my AR10.
ArmaLite
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2011 3:01:54 PM
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
I saw the sale on ArmaLite AR 10 flattop uppers, without the forward assist. Anyone have any experience with these units? Fit, finish etc. I am a dedicated ArmaLite fan from way back, and I'm curious as to the real necessity of the FA in the first place. I plan to swap it out with the carry handle version currently on my rifle.

I have shot thousands of rounds from my AR 15 Nat. Match in local DCM matches over the years, and my new-ish AR 10, and cannot EVER recall actually have to use the FA. By the same token, I read all of the ft fire, ft to extract, failure to ....stories here on the site and I begin to wonder.

I guess I must be the luckiest man in America, but my rifles just never seem to have the issues I read about, at all. They just run, and run, and run. And I can tell you my guns would not pass muster in the barracks in re cleanliness. I don't mistreat them, but I don't do a surgical clean every time I shoot them either.

As always, thanks in advance for any info you all can provide as to whether you think this purchase is ok, or would I be better served stepping up to the regular configuration version. 44-40

The FA was added in 2008 for government and overseas contracts.

TR

AR stands for ArmaLite
Kayenne
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/2/2012 2:08:28 PM
Will these work with any armalite lower or is there a specific lower needed