Author
Posted: 3/28/2013 1:24:15 PM
[Last Edit: 3/28/2013 1:25:26 PM by Sixpakastan]
ETA link and pic.

Will this combo work?

I've been trying to search for the answer but keep getting mixed answers some say works great in the LWRC or DPMS etc, some say it won't work in a piston rifle.

What say you?
I switched stocks put the rifle length tube and spring in but wasn't thinking and didn't replace the buffer and someone has since thrown away the old parts. (not me, and no one is willing to fess up)

So I figured this captured spring set up looks like a winner just need to know if it will work before dropping the coin.

Link to part just in case

azmp5
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2013 1:48:06 PM
I have the POF build kit for my .308, so i just have the rifle length gas tube (DI). BUT I have the PRS stock and capture spring and love it. mostly love the lack of the "thwang" that ar's r known for. I dont see why it wouldnt work for a piston POF though.
Sixpakastan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 9:26:46 PM
** Is not compatible with any AR using a solid or weighted bolt carrier that is not hollow in the rear such as the PWS Direct Impingment or Piston Carriers since the guide rod must extend into the rear of the carrier as it cycles.

Well so much for that. I wanted to soften the recoil a little so the kids could shoot it more comfortably. Guess it's a standard rifle length buffer for me.

Unless someone has a better idea?

Like maybe the Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer - .308 AR - fixed stock.
notgrownupyetSBR556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2013 1:54:46 PM
Unless poof changed something on its carrier, the JP spring will work. Look at your carrier, is it hollow at the back? If so, then it will work. I used them same item on a Hogan H308 rifle w/o issue.
Sixpakastan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2013 4:30:58 PM
Thats what I wanted to hear.
I looked at my carrier and it has a hole in the back, just wasn't sure if the hole would be big enough, I dont have a DI bolt to compare it to.

Thanks for the reply.
notgrownupyetSBR556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/30/2013 7:28:11 PM
no worries. I ran one with the Magpul UBR stock, so short AR308 carbine system length.
jones_usaf
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 1:45:47 PM
[Last Edit: 6/21/2013 1:46:27 PM by jones_usaf]
Originally Posted By Sixpakastan:
** Is not compatible with any AR using a solid or weighted bolt carrier that is not hollow in the rear such as the PWS Direct Impingment or Piston Carriers since the guide rod must extend into the rear of the carrier as it cycles.

Well so much for that. I wanted to soften the recoil a little so the kids could shoot it more comfortably. Guess it's a standard rifle length buffer for me.

Unless someone has a better idea?

Like maybe the Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer - .308 AR - fixed stock.

I use the Enidine in my Ruger SR-556C and it's fantastic. I used to have it in my Daniel Defense M4V4, but when I got my new Ruger I wanted to put all the nice goodies (JP Ent. spring as well) on it during the initial break in period. After tossing the stock Ruger's spring/buffer in my DD and shooting them both back to back, even though my DD has the PWS 5.56 brake on it and the Ruger the A2 flash hider, the Ruger's recoil seems more mild and you don't have that god awful springy sound with a cheap spring/buffer.

Actually thanks for reminding me, I need to order another spring + Enidine buffer for my other rifle :)
MJP68
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/22/2013 4:04:17 AM
I'm using the Enidine buffer in my 20" P308 with the carbine tube, recoil reduction was noticeable
I believe the rifle length buffer is longer.
SC-Texas
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:13:51 AM
I changed out the carbine length tube for a rifle tubes, PRS, Tubbs flat wire spring and a rifle length enidine buffer.

The recoil impulse was changed. It is noticeably softer. I plan on taking slash's advice and using one of his armalite AR-10 springs.

Some video of my P-308 at the range this weekend

I Went to the range to try two new 25rd mags and brown bear 140gr SP in the P-308.

The mags had a few issues with the first 2-3 rounds of soft point. The rifle functioned fine.

I expect the mags to wear in with a little use. They seem to feed fine after the first rounds have been shot. I'll report more as they get more cycles through them.

A friends 13yr old daughter shot it a few times and enjoyed it!

And

TomP308
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2014 3:37:05 PM
[Last Edit: 1/2/2014 3:37:27 PM by TomP308]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By SC-Texas:I Went to the range to try two new 25rd mags

SC are you talking about Magpul Gen3 PMAGs? If yes yours would be the first report I've heard of availability...