Site Notices
11/20/2014 4:05:39 PM
Author
Posted: 6/30/2011 12:24:10 AM EST
After shopping around for an AR for a while, I settled on a CMMG M4-LE. CMMG's products have decent reviews, and I like the idea of supporting a (home-state) Missouri business. In talking to the dealer, I found that the LE didn't ship with a rear sight; was set up for optics instead. My budget doesn't allow for any decent optics yet, but I figured "no problem, I'll just order a carry handle w/A2 sights for now" and did.

Now I find that the rifle doesn't include a front sight either but instead has only a rail. So now I have the M4, the carry handle, and am looking around for a suitable rail-mounted front sight, but I'm a little confused as to the sight plane and exactly which front sight will work with the carry handle, since I've already got it. I assume that my handle-mounted rear sight sits higher above the receiver than the "regular" rail-mount rear sights; what do I need for the front to match that height over the bore? I'm considering something like this:
UTG Rail mount detachable sight
... but not sure if I need the rail riser to bring it up, as one of the reviewers of that product mentions

A bit of a gripe for CMMG: your web page for this weapon is very misleading, showing both front and rear sights. In fact this doesn't even look like the same gun; the front sight doesn't appear to be rail-mounted. The specs do say that the LE has an F-marked front sight base, but nowhere mentions the fact that the rifle doesn't ship with any sights, unless I overlooked it.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
shadowcop
Independent Field Tester /R & D
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 1:58:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2011 2:02:20 AM EST by shadowcop]
Nothing misleading about the web page.
The M4 LE has an F front sight base pinned to the barrel. It also comes with a Magpul rear folding sight.

The M4 LEP and Sierra have the railed gas block.
If you order the M4 LE and it doesn't have the front sight base, return it the the right one.

If you ordered the M4 LEP, use a standard rail mounted sight.
The Sierra takes a higher sight due to the low gas block.
Dave N
"Better to die for something than live for nothing"

midmo
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 2:53:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2011 3:04:16 AM EST by midmo]
Originally Posted By shadowcop:
Nothing misleading about the web page.
The M4 LE has an F front sight base pinned to the barrel. It also comes with a Magpul rear folding sight.

The M4 LEP and Sierra have the railed gas block.
If you order the M4 LE and it doesn't have the front sight base, return it the the right one.

If you ordered the M4 LEP, use a standard rail mounted sight.
The Sierra takes a higher sight due to the low gas block.
Dave N

Thanks Dave..

Not to be argumentative, but here's what I ordered/received:

and here's the gas block:

But, at any rate, if a standard rail mounted sight will work, that's what I'll go with. Just a temp solution until I can get better optics anyway.

ETA: my apologies to CMMG if this is the result of a dealer mixup rather than an inaccurate web page.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln
shadowcop
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 3:06:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2011 3:11:42 AM EST by shadowcop]
You dfid not get what was ordered. The picture you posted is a M4 LEP. The 5.56 M4 LEP has a receiver height gas block, so you can use a rail mounted front sight.

On top of it, you paid extra for an M4 LE with front sight block. I would contact who ever you ordered it from and return it for what you paid for.
If you need any help, let me know.

Dave N

midmo
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 3:26:33 AM EST
OK, so maybe I'm being dense, but I do appreciate your help explaining what's what!

If I'm reading the web site right, the main difference between the M4-LE and the LEP (well, they list the M4-LEP II - maybe different?), besides the sights, are that the LEP is a piston system (hence the "P"?) and lists $100 higher than the LE. Mine doesn't appear to be a piston gun... has a traditional gas tube.

My confusion runs deep...
shadowcop
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 4:00:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2011 4:00:44 AM EST by shadowcop]
No, you are not confused. I was getting ready for work and I deal with the .22's so much, I automatically see a .22.
I can't see the rest of the label but what appears to have happened is you have the M4 LE 5.56 with a clamp on gas block. It is an option in the drop down box on the web sight.
I'm not sure on the rear sight. I do know the complete M4 LE .22's come with a Magpul rear sight. But only on complete rifles. I would think the 5.56 complete rifle would also.
None of the uppers come with rear sight if bought alone.
Dave N

CMMGinc
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 4:37:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/30/2011 5:00:03 AM EST by CMMGinc]
That's the correct configuration for that Item #. This particular configuration is not available directly from us, it is a distributor exclusive.

What you need is a "gas block height" front sight.
CMMG, Inc
660-248-2293
www.cmmginc.com
sales@cmmginc.com
TechSupport@cmmginc.com
shadowcop
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 5:12:11 AM EST
Thanks CMMG. I couldn't figure it out. Too early.

midmo
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/30/2011 9:47:49 AM EST
Thanks both Dave and CMMG... now I don't feel like quite as bad a dolt for not understanding the configuration. This was indeed a dealer->dealer->me transaction, and I imagine dealer "A" just had this particular one on the shelf. At any rate, I'll see if I can't find a front sight that'll work, and in the meantime I learned a bit about AR sight plane architecture and the differences between some of the options. I'll count that as a win.
AR15-LOVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/2/2011 1:36:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/2/2011 1:40:34 AM EST by AR15-LOVER]

Profile Designed for Installation on Gas Block

( These will match the Gas Block on your CMMG . )

v
v

http://s2.postimage.org/v9qj8kit6/MNT_750_PRO_1.jpg

http://s2.postimage.org/h3ce95d9o/MNT_LS750_PRO_1.jpg

Designed to Use with Handguard Rails or High Profile Gas Block

V
V

http://s3.postimage.org/u4hllmp9p/MNT_754_PRO_1.jpg

http://s3.postimage.org/fy21cjsc2/MNT_LS754_PRO_1.gif

midmo
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/2/2011 1:50:31 AM EST
thanks AR15-LOVER. You have a link for the first ones? The top sight looks a lot like the UTG sight I linked to in the OP (?).
Will sights at this height work with either a carry handle or rail-mount rear sight? Or is there yet another sight-height issue I need to worry about?
AR15-LOVER
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/2/2011 2:26:55 AM EST

Here is ( are ) the link ( s ) ....... you could find additional information there .

http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=&level2=&itemno=MNT-750&status=&mtrack=m

http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=&level2=&itemno=MNT-LS750&status=&mtrack=m

shadowcop
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/2/2011 5:29:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/2/2011 5:30:18 AM EST by shadowcop]
It should work fine with the carry handle. I use the same sight in a rail mounted version on a couple rifles. They are tougher than given credit for.
Dave N