Site Notices
7/31/2014 7:43:02 PM
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
Author
Posted: 3/29/2013 9:08:27 AM
I have a rear MBUS on a complete upper I just got back from the manufacturer for repair of a canted FRONT sight - and here's my problem. Before I decided to send the upper back, I tested it with the MBUS and figured out that I had to basically bury the MBUS to the left side to get it even close to on-paper. Now I would like to start over from factory zero on the MBUS but other than a visual reference of the aperture being "about in the middle" I don't know if I am at the real center or not. Is it all guess work? Is there a number of clicks I can count to get it back to the true center?

Does this even matter? Am I making a problem where none exists?

Should I get it to "about the middle" and go from there?
TheTacticalCoyote
I Aim To Misbehave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 10:44:22 AM
There are tick marks beneath the aperture to help you return the sight to mechanical zero.

LCpl. Nigel K. Olsen March 4th, 2010 Southern Helmand Province Afghanistan
LCpl. Carlos C. Aragon March 1st, 2010 Southern Helmand Province Afghanistan

Thanks Hoosier556shooter For The Membership!
DesertDog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 12:38:41 PM
If the canted front sight base was repaired, just put the rear sight in the middle like the photo above and go to the range and start sighting it in. I prefer 3 shot groups at 100 yards but there are many different preferences for sighting in, choose the one that makes sense for you.

Don't worry if you don't start with the MBUS exactly in the center of the rear sight, it won't matter because the sighting in process will correct it and place it where it needs to be for you.
I will never do business with Member LittleMagic.
Synyster06Gates
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 12:40:08 PM
Originally Posted By DesertDog1:
If the canted front sight base was repaired, just put the rear sight in the middle like the photo above and go to the range and start sighting it in. I prefer 3 shot groups at 100 yards but there are many different preferences for sighting in, choose the one that makes sense for you.

Don't worry if you don't start with the MBUS exactly in the center of the rear sight, it won't matter because the sighting in process will correct it and place it where it needs to be for you.

Or you could get it all the way to one side. Count the clicks going back the other way, then go half that back towards the middle.
DesertDog1
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 12:56:17 PM
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:
Originally Posted By DesertDog1:

Or you could get it all the way to one side. Count the clicks going back the other way, then go half that back towards the middle.

And then he can go to the range and sight it in. That was my point. A rifle that is not sighted in is useless and a liability.
I will never do business with Member LittleMagic.
850SheepDog
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/29/2013 10:37:09 PM
I appreciate the help. I was over complicating it for sure. I got it as close to the center hash as possible and will sight in from there. Thanks again!