Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
Author
Posted: 10/8/2011 12:13:04 PM
Lost my MBUS front sight key at the range yesterday.
Does anyone have recommendations for buying a replacement?
I found them on MidwayUSA, but they want too much for shipping and I do not buy often enough from them to wait and combine with another order.
Is there an alternative to the key?

Thanks
TheTacticalCoyote
Major League Infidel
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2011 10:52:50 PM
Call Magpul up and ask them for one.
LCpl. Nigel K. Olsen March 4th, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
LCpl. Carlos C. Aragon March 1st, 2010 Southern Helmand Province, Afghanistan
dontalo
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 12:04:16 PM
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Call Magpul up and ask them for one.

It was worth a try.
The would only replace it if it broke and I sent them the broken one.
Upside: they told me any $5 A2 front site key will work. I am sure I can find one online.
dontalo
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2011 5:12:03 PM
Originally Posted By dontalo:
[clip] ...they told me any $5 A2 front site key will work. I am sure I can find one online.

They [Magpul Customer Service] lied. Might be true for Gen 2 sights, but not Gen 1.
Figured out a technique that is adequate. Using two precision screwdrivers: depress the catch with one and rotate the post with the other. Works fine, but requires two hands.
Justin-Beard
MAGPUL INDUSTRIES
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2011 7:34:44 PM
[Last Edit: 10/17/2011 7:36:53 PM by Justin-Beard]
[clip] ...they told me any $5 A2 front site key will work. I am sure I can find one online.

They [Magpul Customer Service] lied. Might be true for Gen 2 sights, but not Gen 1.
Figured out a technique that is adequate. Using two precision screwdrivers: depress the catch with one and rotate the post with the other. Works fine, but requires two hands.

Sorry you feel we misled you. Both the Gen 1 and current Gen 2 MBUS use a standard A2 front sight post that can be found on any M16/M4. The Gen 1's was held in place via friction while the Gen 2 uses a detent similar in concept to a factory sight. We provide a basic tool for adjustment of the Gen 2 as a convenience but in no way is it required for our sight as an A2 front sight adjustment tool can be obtained from any number of retailers.

Our included tool is normally not available for sale, but we can sell you a replacement for your lost one if you'd like for a minimal charge plus shipping costs.
JUSTIN BEARD
Sales Manager
Magpul Industries Corp.
jBeard@magpul.com
dontalo
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2011 10:57:51 PM
Maybe "lied" was too strong a word. Sorry. I am still a big fan of Magpul. This minor irk aside, I would buy them again.

More accurately: I tried 2 different A2 front sight tools (Tapco and Leapers). Neither fit my MBUS. Both misfit my MBUS in the same way. Both fit my son's S&W M&P perfectly.
The MBUS seems to have the proper spacing of holes but the holes appear too narrow. The pins on the tool will not fit into the holes. I guess I could file the pins to fit the holes.

No big deal. The front sight is now spot-on at 50 yards. I am good to go.