Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Author
United States Marine Corps 00-05
Military
Posted: 5/4/2011 7:51:35 PM
[Last Edit: 5/4/2011 7:52:12 PM by diaz_aa]
I did a search on Arfcom and on the internet and couldn't find a definitive answer. I would like to know all the differences between a "xxx pts" and a "xxx" product. Thank you.
"Around here we handle problems with sight alignment, sight picture...."
FiremanFrank
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2011 8:49:26 PM
I checked and the PTS Magpul is for airsoft and the regular Magpul is the stuff rated for firearms. You can buy the Magpul pts and it may work for you but I like things that are made for firearms and not plastic shooting airguns.

http://www.magpul-pts.com/

http://www.magpul.com/

bdawg998
Retail Engineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2011 10:10:09 PM
The PTS parts are made in China I believe and are made of a basic polymer, probably whatever material is cheapest when they are making a run. Whereas, the regular Magpul items are made in America from a specific polymer designed a standard with a much tougher breaking strength. Basically, regular Magpul items are made for hard use and PTS parts are not as strong.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."----George Washington
45FMJoe
Vote Barry Goldwater in 2012!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2011 10:12:57 PM

Originally Posted By bdawg998:
The PTS parts are made in China I believe and are made of a basic polymer, probably whatever material is cheapest when they are making a run. Whereas, the regular Magpul items are made in America from a specific polymer designed a standard with a much tougher breaking strength. Basically, regular Magpul items are made for hard use and PTS parts are not as strong.

Correct, the PTS line is specifically made for airsoft.
SS17

Pack Larue Founding Hound
diaz_aa
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2011 11:34:18 PM
[Last Edit: 5/4/2011 11:37:52 PM by diaz_aa]
I work with companies that do injection molding for large capacity and high-resolution seismic data acquisition systems designed for marine towed streamers acquisition. Molding is a bunch of beads fed into an ejector, heated, into a sample. The press squeezes the top and bottom molds together, until the timer is released. How much of a difference does a XXX bead cost compared to the pts XXX bead. I will post pics next time I am in that facility.

Not only cost, but wouldn't it be more efficient to do all from the same polymer? I mean you would have to have a different "Millicron" (sp?) press to do pts injections. Is this correct?
45FMJoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2011 11:38:40 PM
They're not manufactured by Magpul. The PTS line is licensed airsoft copies made of an off the shelf polymer and not Magpul's sekkret blend.
SS17

diaz_aa
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2011 11:48:52 PM
[Last Edit: 5/4/2011 11:53:48 PM by diaz_aa]
So Magpul, has developed a secret blend of polymers (not available to anyone). Why not use it in the pts? They could buy in bulk from the same supplier rather than two suppliers at different rates. Then Magpul could say the airsoft is built to the same standards as firearms and corner the market.

ETA: Off the shelf polys are alot stronger than you would think. Example "A", Injected at 500 degrees, compressed at 3k with a piston diameter of 30''. I am unable to disclose the polys my customer uses...
bdawg998
Retail Engineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2011 12:00:31 AM
Doing this would then cause the PTS to cost the same as the normal Magpul line of products and hence defeat the purpose of the purpose of making two lines of products. Also, if they bought from the same supplier, they would then have to ship it from the US to China if they continued to have it made there. The idea of Magpul licensing the design of Magpul products to a manufacturer in China is to keep someone else from knocking off Magpul products from China.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."----George Washington
45FMJoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2011 12:00:35 AM
[Last Edit: 5/5/2011 12:01:43 AM by 45FMJoe]

Originally Posted By diaz_aa:
So Magpul, has developed a secret blend of polymers (not available to anyone). Why not use it in the pts? They could buy in bulk from the same supplier rather than two suppliers at different rates. Then Magpul could say the airsoft is built to the same standards as firearms and corner the market.

ETA: Off the shelf polys are alot stronger than you would think. Example "A", Injected at 500 degrees, compressed at 3k with a piston diameter of 30''. I am unable to disclose the polys my customer uses...

Because they don't manufacture the PTS line, and they don't care about it. It's simply licensed airsoft copies. Since "they" would make knock-offs anyway, Magpul can at least get some royalties for the airsoft clone stuff.
SS17

DrDrake
Once upon a 7KOPPER.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2011 12:57:58 PM
[Last Edit: 5/5/2011 1:54:46 PM by DrDrake]
Readers Digest version;

Magpul Inds. Corp.
Based USA
Products for Real-Steel weapons (AKA real real guns as my 7 year old would say)
All products proudly Made/Designed in the USA, mostly in CO
Uses advanced polymers, coatings, treatments and processes for the toughest real world environments
Built for a spectrum of users whether enthusiast or door kicker

Magpul PTS, (Professional Training & Simulation)/Magpul Asia
Based Asia
Products for training weapons, Airsoft/ Soft Air/ Little Plastic BB thingy’s/ BB gatz
Built for the training mission on training weapons
While Magpul products look similar PTS products there are material differences in polymers, coatings, treatments and processes. Because of this we discourage the use of PTS products on Real-Steel weapons.
Built for non Real-Steel hobbyist, prop collectors and force on force training.

Going into details on the differences between each product is not info I’ve got on the tip of my tongue. And if I did I don’t believe I share, proprietary info ya know? Here’s one reason why we have PTS doing what they do and it’s no secret. Ask any player in the firearms biz and they tell you they kit gets knocked off. We’re ahead of the 8 ball. What is it about loose lips?

We are not releasing any information on products that may or may not be in the works. We're always looking for new ways to improve on existing products and exploring boundaries of new ideas. Thanks.
uscmCorps
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2011 8:08:40 PM
[Last Edit: 5/5/2011 8:11:03 PM by uscmCorps]
To further expand upon what Drake said, the primary reason why a different polymer is used is due to ITAR. Secondarily, the Magpul Polymer is a closely guarded secret and is therefore something they quite understandably want to keep 100% in house. While the Magpul PTS polymer is not the same as what is used for real-steel Magpul product line, it is far from cheap polymer. PTS works closely with Dupont Plastics to create a specific blend of polymer that mimics the fit, feel and look of that of the real-steel counterpart, but to work on airsoft replicas. While the PTS polymers are of an extremely high grade, it is very important to note that it is not designed and stress tested to work with real firearms which is a major factor why PTS products should never be used with real firearms. Magpul Industries goes through EXTENSIVE testing to ensure that their products would not result in a catastrophic failure when used with a real gun. Magpul PTS has never had to, and has never needed to do this as the PTS products are purpose built for training and simulation.

All PTS made accessories have a Magpul PTS logo engraving to ensure someone doesn't accidentally use it with a real firearm. When looking to buy Magpul Industries products, make sure that the product is not in fact a PTS product, nor is it a fake clone product (which will not bare the PTS engraving). Your best bet is to buy from a reputable Magpul Industries dealer/retailer.
AEnemaBay
2111 - USMC
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2011 6:20:08 PM
[Last Edit: 5/24/2011 6:24:20 PM by AEnemaBay]
I know this is kind of old, but I figured it would be better posting here than starting a new thread.

How can I tell the differences between genuine Magpul USA gear and Magpul PTS? Say I purchase a CTR stock from an online dealer; how can I, the consumer, be sure that I'm getting the genuine stuff or paying more some PTS stuff? I recently bought an OD CTR stock on Ebay for a good, but not too good to be true, price and something about it just seems off when compared to my other CTR's that I purchased from Brownells. The seller is US based and swears on everything that they're genuine.

Thanks for the help.
"Nothing says 'come to my tree stand for a good cornholing' more than a Browning Buckmark sticker on your oversized truck." - dport
uscmCorps
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2011 6:40:20 PM
It's been answered previously. Something made by PTS will clearly have "PTS" engraved on the product somewhere. You wouldn't have hard to look. So if you bought a CTR or other Magpul looking item without PTS written on it, it is either genuine or an unauthorized fake. You don't see too many fakes for sale in the US, but honestly, your best bet is to buy from an established retailer/dealer. You don't have far to look, Magpul, DSGArms, AimSurplus, Brownells, BravoCo. SKDTac, RainierArms ... the list goes on. Buying from an unknown is going to be a gamble. Most Ebay sellers would definitely qualify as unknowns. Maybe you save a few dollars, but what you may also lose is peace of mind that perhaps you bought a fake.
AEnemaBay
2111 - USMC
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2011 6:43:01 PM
Originally Posted By uscmCorps:
It's been answered previously. Something made by PTS will clearly have "PTS" engraved on the product somewhere. You wouldn't have hard to look. So if you bought a CTR or other Magpul looking item without PTS written on it, it is either genuine or an unauthorized fake. You don't see too many fakes for sale in the US, but honestly, your best bet is to buy from an established retailer/dealer. You don't have far to look, Magpul, DSGArms, AimSurplus, Brownells, BravoCo. SKDTac, RainierArms ... the list goes on. Buying from an unknown is going to be a gamble. Most Ebay sellers would definitely qualify as unknowns. Maybe you save a few dollars, but what you may also lose is peace of mind that perhaps you bought a fake.

Geez, I read through this whole thread looking for my answer before I posted and I completely skipped your last paragraph where you stated it would have a "PTS" logo on it. Sorry for bringing it back up, I'll try to read a little more thoroughly next time.

Thanks.

"Nothing says 'come to my tree stand for a good cornholing' more than a Browning Buckmark sticker on your oversized truck." - dport
GLOCKshooter
Just this guy
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2011 8:58:56 PM
So it is like chicken salad v. egg salad? Same recipe but different ingredients, one is better and more solid?
Either run for your lives, surrender, or stand up and fight...
...............................................................................................
A source said: ‘Removing the head in this way was totally inappropriate.’