Author
Posted: 4/28/2010 5:48:18 PM EST
Monday I stopped by a local fun store I do business with and picked up a standard S&W M&P 15-22 (Threaded barrel). I've been meaning to grab one for a while. While at the store I buy a Magpul MOE stock and a MIAD to add to the rifle. I have a MIAD AR -10 grip wedge on the way that I ordered online. No sooner do I get home, that I see a magpul version of the rifle is now available with the accessories I purchased plus MBUS sights. Well, I was a little mad at myself for not knowing this ahead of time. I could have saved a little money. No big deal, though. But what I did notice is that the Magpul version also has ambi QD sling swivel cups mounted at the back/sides of the lower receiver near the fake buffer tube. That is an add on I'd really want (for a single point sling). I called Smith, and they said they didn't install those. They thought Magpul did.

I intend to email Magpul, but if they or anyone else read this post and know the answers to the following I'd appreciate it:

Does Magpul sell the QD cups that they are installing (if they indeed are doing the installation)?

Is it as simple as drilling the correct sized holes for installation?

Will Magpul be offering installation as a service for those who send in their receivers?

Do the QD cups bolt in once the holes are drilled or are they glued?

Thanks.

optimus
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2010 5:56:13 PM EST
Possibly just drill a hole and screw in the sling cups for the ACS stock? I haven't seen the M&P15-22 MOE up close to really tell how complex/simple the cups are though, but it's a thought.
JW1069
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2010 6:00:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/28/2010 6:02:57 PM EST by JW1069]
Dood...if you want to go full Magpul, you need to use zip ties brother!

How does Travis attach the MS2 to his M&P 15-22?
"Because there are more bad guys out there who deserve it." - Costa
optimus
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2010 6:34:46 PM EST
Tried that on mine... Wisconsin + January = zip-tie lasted all of 10 seconds when weight was applied. I have the Midwest Industries plate now.
cclacy
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2010 6:56:54 PM EST
I'm using the MI attachment (MCTAR-13) (picture at this link: [URL=http://www.calssportingarmory.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MWMCTAR13-2T.jpg] on a SIG 556 that I didn't feel like removing the buffer tube from because it was red locktited. It works fine on that rifle. I just ordered a second one that I may use on my M&P 15-22, but since it's designed to go over a castle nut and the 15-22 doesn't have a castle nut, I'll have to add something to the fake tube to fill in that area for the attachment to really attach securely and correctly.
optimus
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/28/2010 7:47:21 PM EST
I just mounted mine (MCTAR-13) "backwards" so the loops are closer to the receiver. It clamps on just fine, nice and tight.
LonghunterCO
Charcoal Burner
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/29/2010 2:47:54 AM EST
Is the MOE/Magpul/MP 15-22 out yet?
Luck favors the prepared.

"This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it." - Elmer Davis

LonghunterCO- Just another small-town American clinging to his guns and religion.

littlered75
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/29/2010 11:44:07 AM EST
Mine will be in next Thur. and I have another ordered from another location. Gallery Of Guns has them in stock to ship to certain dealers.
DrDrake
Once upon a 7KOPPER.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/29/2010 11:51:02 AM EST
FYI, the QD cups are a factory upgrade that S&W added to the MOE M&P 15-22.
We are not releasing any information on products that may or may not be in the works. We're always looking for new ways to improve on existing products and exploring boundaries of new ideas. Thanks.
LonghunterCO
Charcoal Burner
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/29/2010 12:58:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By littlered75:
Mine will be in next Thur. and I have another ordered from another location. Gallery Of Guns has them in stock to ship to certain dealers.

Do you mind sharing what dealers are charging for them?

"This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it." - Elmer Davis

LonghunterCO- Just another small-town American clinging to his guns and religion.

littlered75
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/29/2010 4:52:36 PM EST
I am paying $525 plus tax from both dealers. I have seen them for $550-$600 shipped and taxed to a dealer listed on Gallery Of Guns.
cclacy
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/29/2010 7:14:52 PM EST
Drake,

The guy at Smith customer service said they are not adding those QD cups. He said that work is being done elsewhere. I guess he is mis-informed? Any idea which cups they're using, or which would be the best to install myself?
LonghunterCO
Charcoal Burner
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2010 4:08:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By cclacy:
Drake,

The guy at Smith customer service said they are not adding those QD cups. He said that work is being done elsewhere. I guess he is mis-informed? Any idea which cups they're using, or which would be the best to install myself?

The cups look to be molded into the receiver. If S&W is not putting them in their lower reciever that who whould. I would say mis-informed.