Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Author
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:56:01 PM
Magpul- will you ever make a FN-FAL mag for us RRA LAR owners???!! And FN owners...
CujoTwoOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:04:34 PM
INB4
We are not releasing any information on products that may or may not be in the works. We're always looking for new ways to improve on existing products and exploring boundaries of new ideas. Thanks.
stfram
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:15:33 PM
Hell, they're making G36 mags!

Anything is possible.
Madcap72
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2010 2:53:00 AM
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
Magpul- will you ever make a FN-FAL mag for us RRA LAR owners???!! And FN owners...

What military is using said platforms?

I.E. where would the fat military contract come from to make it worth spooling up a line to crank out mags?
stfram
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2010 2:14:49 PM
Originally Posted By Madcap72:

I.E. where would the fat military contract come from to make it worth spooling up a line to crank out mags?

Fat military contracts are irrelevant when you've got many thousands of civilian customers with rifles who are ready to buy.

It wasn't the military that was causing Magpul to run at capacity during late 2008 and half-way though 2009, that's for damned sure.

Hell, if that were the sole criteria, why the hell are they making G-36 mags? Germany and Spain are the primary users (and they certainly WON'T be buying PMags). I think Norway issues the rifle as well, but I'd be shocked if they had any need for PMags either. I guess the domestic LE market needs them, but I thought most agencies have dumped that rifle...?

With regards to FAL mags specifically, surplus used mags are pushing $20 a copy, if you can find them. The cheap surplus supply is gone, and DSA is being forced into making their own due to that (and their copies start at $25). Seems to me that should be reason enough to consider developing a FAL PMag (and it would be terribly easy to modify that mold so as to make mags for the SCAR-H, which would drive FN completely batty...)
Black-Tiger
GIVE THEM NOTHING, BUT TAKE EVERYTHING!
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2010 2:28:50 PM
Metric? Inch pattern? Details, man. Details.

(in all honesty, there are so many of them around to be had cheaply)
RIP SGT. Robert "Bobby" Wagner - 8/1/2004, Mosul Iraq.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall; Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
imortal
Army>>security>>EMS>>nursing
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:25:38 PM
Originally Posted By DrDeath:

This crops up every few months. It was explained a couple times, but most of the Magpul folks pretty much avoid these threads now. The problem with FAL/L1A1 mags is the same as with M1A/M14 mags or AK mags. It is the method those magazines lock into the rifle; the rear latch method. A metal latch with a strong spring against the polymer nub of the magazine locking lug is a design no-no. So, any polymer magazine would wear pretty quickly. And a magazine that may fail on the user is not the Magpul way.
"And in this moment I will not run. It is my place to stand. We few shall carry hope, within our bloody hands."
Cruxshadows, Winterborn

DDSS17
Madcap72
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:39:01 PM
[Last Edit: 2/12/2010 6:49:46 AM by Madcap72]
Originally Posted By stfram:

Fat military contracts are irrelevant when you've got many thousands of civilian customers with rifles who are ready to buy.

It wasn't the military that was causing Magpul to run at capacity during late 2008 and half-way though 2009, that's for damned sure.

Hell, if that were the sole criteria, why the hell are they making G-36 mags? Germany and Spain are the primary users (and they certainly WON'T be buying PMags). I think Norway issues the rifle as well, but I'd be shocked if they had any need for PMags either. I guess the domestic LE market needs them, but I thought most agencies have dumped that rifle...?

With regards to FAL mags specifically, surplus used mags are pushing $20 a copy, if you can find them. The cheap surplus supply is gone, and DSA is being forced into making their own due to that (and their copies start at $25). Seems to me that should be reason enough to consider developing a FAL PMag (and it would be terribly easy to modify that mold so as to make mags for the SCAR-H, which would drive FN completely batty...)

Thousands of customers? You'd have to have more than that to recoup from R&D, marketing, testing, time and materials.

G-36's are used by a TON of contractors. ETA G-36's are used by the Capitol police here in the states, and a lot of other countries police forces.

Fn FAL mags are 13.50$ online, up from 5 bucks at gunshow, don't know where you got the 20$ thing from. (just found them for 11.00 on GB).

Fal mags are just like Ar-180 mags for me, they aren't viable, and would take away from the manufacture of ar-15 pmags which are a golden ticket.
Jaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/11/2010 11:04:25 PM
I know I'd be in for a handful
stfram
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2010 2:01:48 PM
[Last Edit: 2/13/2010 2:02:47 PM by stfram]
Fn FAL mags are 13.50$ online, up from 5 bucks at gunshow, don't know where you got the 20$ thing from. (just found them for 11.00 on GB).

$13 these days will get you well-used surplus. I actually got lucky and scored some Springfield Armory FAL mags for ~$13 each, NIW Israeli. That was an aberration, however. SA's supply pretty much presents the last available NEW surplus FAL mags, and the price is back up to $20 each. Still a good deal as far as NIW mil contract mags go.

The FAL mag market, presuming a polymer design is viable WRT the mag catch location, would be good for far more sales than the G-36 market (notwithstanding the capitol police...and I thought they got rid of theirs?).
Madcap72
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:56:36 PM

$13 these days will get you well-used surplus. I actually got lucky and scored some Springfield Armory FAL mags for ~$13 each, NIW Israeli. That was an aberration, however. SA's supply pretty much presents the last available NEW surplus FAL mags, and the price is back up to $20 each. Still a good deal as far as NIW mil contract mags go.

The FAL mag market, presuming a polymer design is viable WRT the mag catch location, would be good for far more sales than the G-36 market (notwithstanding the capitol police...and I thought they got rid of theirs?).

From Wiki.

* Australia: Australian Federal Police (G36C).
* Belgium: Used by the Antwerp local police special squad BBT (Bijzondere Bijstandsteam).[9]
* Brazil: Brazilian Federal Police (G36K).[10]
* PRC: Used in limited numbers by specialized units of the People's Armed Police (G36C model).[11]
* Croatia: As of 2007[update], c. 200 in use by the police special units, as well as the Croatian Army contingent in Afghanistan.[12][13]
* Finland: The G36C is used by Finnish Border Guard rapid response units and Finnish Police special units such as Karhuryhmä and special response teams of local police departments.[14]
* Germany: Standard service rifle of the Bundeswehr (G36 or G36A1, G36A2, G36K and G36C).[15]
* Georgia: Elite Georgian forces.[16]
* Indonesia: Elite Kopassus forces (G36C model).[17][18]
* Jordan: The Royal Special Forces and Jordanian special forces both employ the G36C.[19]
* Kosovo: Purchased by Kosovo Security Force. [20]
* Latvia: The G36KV is the standard assault rifle of the Latvian Army and Speciālo uzdevumu vienība (Latvian special forces).[21][22]
* Lithuania: Lithuanian Army adopted the G36V and G36KV in 2007.[23]
* Malaysia: The Pasukan Gerakan Khas Special Operations Force of the Royal Malaysian Police (G36C model).[24]
* Mexico: Law enforcement agencies such as state, federal and military police as well as some elements in the Mexican Navy.[25] The Minister of Finance and Public Credit has told congress that SEDENA will spend 488 million pesos (37 million USD) to transfer technology to manufacture the G36V rifle.[26]
* Montenegro: Military of Montenegro.[27]
* Norway: Norwegian Navy Kystjegerkommandoen.[21]
* Philippines: Armed Forces of the Philippines.[28]
* Spain: Purchased the G36E to equip all branches of the Spanish Armed Forces. 75,219 units acquired with deliveries starting in 1999 and completed in 2005; 60,000 rifles were issued to the Spanish Army, 7,559 were allotted to the Spanish Navy and the Spanish Air Force received a total of 7,660 weapons. Naval G36's are slightly different in that they feature a 3x optical sight. The rifles are manufactured jointly by both Heckler & Koch in Oberndorf am Neckar and the General Dynamics Santa Bárbara Sistemas facility in A Coruña, Spain at a unit cost of €778.99.[29]
* United Kingdom: Many police armed responce units, Special Air Service, Special Boat Service[30], and many Authorised Firearms Officers including CO19[31], the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.
* United States: Used by the United States Capitol Police.[32]

I think that's enough still in active duty to make landing 2-3 big contracts worth it.
fpd164
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2010 4:14:46 PM

From Wiki.

SERVED

* Australia: Australian Federal Police (G36C).
* Belgium: Used by the Antwerp local police special squad BBT (Bijzondere Bijstandsteam).[9]
* Brazil: Brazilian Federal Police (G36K).[10]
* PRC: Used in limited numbers by specialized units of the People's Armed Police (G36C model).[11]
* Croatia: As of 2007[update], c. 200 in use by the police special units, as well as the Croatian Army contingent in Afghanistan.[12][13]
* Finland: The G36C is used by Finnish Border Guard rapid response units and Finnish Police special units such as Karhuryhmä and special response teams of local police departments.[14]
* Germany: Standard service rifle of the Bundeswehr (G36 or G36A1, G36A2, G36K and G36C).[15]
* Georgia: Elite Georgian forces.[16]
* Indonesia: Elite Kopassus forces (G36C model).[17][18]
* Jordan: The Royal Special Forces and Jordanian special forces both employ the G36C.[19]
* Kosovo: Purchased by Kosovo Security Force. [20]
* Latvia: The G36KV is the standard assault rifle of the Latvian Army and Speciālo uzdevumu vienība (Latvian special forces).[21][22]
* Lithuania: Lithuanian Army adopted the G36V and G36KV in 2007.[23]
* Malaysia: The Pasukan Gerakan Khas Special Operations Force of the Royal Malaysian Police (G36C model).[24]
* Mexico: Law enforcement agencies such as state, federal and military police as well as some elements in the Mexican Navy.[25] The Minister of Finance and Public Credit has told congress that SEDENA will spend 488 million pesos (37 million USD) to transfer technology to manufacture the G36V rifle.[26]
* Montenegro: Military of Montenegro.[27]
* Norway: Norwegian Navy Kystjegerkommandoen.[21]
* Philippines: Armed Forces of the Philippines.[28]
* Spain: Purchased the G36E to equip all branches of the Spanish Armed Forces. 75,219 units acquired with deliveries starting in 1999 and completed in 2005; 60,000 rifles were issued to the Spanish Army, 7,559 were allotted to the Spanish Navy and the Spanish Air Force received a total of 7,660 weapons. Naval G36's are slightly different in that they feature a 3x optical sight. The rifles are manufactured jointly by both Heckler & Koch in Oberndorf am Neckar and the General Dynamics Santa Bárbara Sistemas facility in A Coruña, Spain at a unit cost of €778.99.[29]
* United Kingdom: Many police armed responce units, Special Air Service, Special Boat Service[30], and many Authorised Firearms Officers including CO19[31], the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.
* United States: Used by the United States Capitol Police.[32]

I think that's enough still in active duty to make landing 2-3 big contracts worth it.