Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
Author
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:15:20 PM
just curious because it seems a little quiet over here. maybe if they did they could stir up some more interest.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
sleepdr
Count backwards from 100...
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:15:37 PM
A few instructors post here occasionally, and a number of us are members. As far as an official presence from Front Sight, I've not seen anything other than their ad banner.

I suggested more of an online presence in my last eval sheet after a class. Since I'll be going back this month for an Advanced Tac Handgun class, I'll try to mention it to someone. My brother is acquainted with FS's director of marketing, and maybe he can put a bug in his ear.
If a doctor says you're going to feel some pressure, buckle up! -Brian Regan
tothemax
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:48:24 PM

Originally Posted By sleepdr:
A few instructors post here occasionally, and a number of us are members. As far as an official presence from Front Sight, I've not seen anything other than their ad banner.

I suggested more of an online presence in my last eval sheet after a class. Since I'll be going back this month for an Advanced Tac Handgun class, I'll try to mention it to someone. My brother is acquainted with FS's director of marketing, and maybe he can put a bug in his ear.

i think its only going to help them out if they start posting on here.
FS-FNRL
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:36:28 AM
WOW!!! This is a first. Most of the time people complain that they have too much web presence. Once you sign up for their email list that you get inundated with offers, blogs, etc.

If you are member there is a members only section on their web sight.
tothemax
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/10/2009 10:02:47 AM
im not a member but i was recently took a class down there.

reason i say the need a little more presence is the FS forum is dead. ive asked a few questions in the past and never heard a peep from anyone...
cacafuego
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/10/2009 6:00:56 PM
I've suggested a greater presence on the gun fora as well, several times. I have to say, though, that when FS is brought up, mentions of Hubbard-ism and lawsuits invariably follow. Maybe they've decided it's a bad strategy.
jtb33
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:09:54 PM

Originally Posted By FS-FNRL:
WOW!!! This is a first. Most of the time people complain that they have too much web presence. Once you sign up for their email list that you get inundated with offers, blogs, etc.

I think that's part of the problem. Perspective members certainly have questions, comments, etc... if online discussion where official reps from FS participate is restricted to those who are already FS members, that's somewhat counter-intuitive, isn't it?
tothemax
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 9:39:34 AM

Originally Posted By jtb33:

I think that's part of the problem. Perspective members certainly have questions, comments, etc... if online discussion where official reps from FS participate is restricted to those who are already FS members, that's somewhat counter-intuitive, isn't it?

x2
FS-FNRL
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:53:07 PM
There is the 800 number and an email address that you can call and ask any and all questions and get it from the company.

How does getting information second hand (and possible wrong or out dated) help anyone?
tothemax
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:21:22 PM
id rather not have to call a number and ask the questions when i can just type it in on the forum and get the answers.

all of the other industry members frequent the site and answer questions all the time. just trying to help you guys out

BTW can you answer my question i posted in another thread in this forum? i wanted to know where front sight gets the sand bags used on the rifle range...
jtb33
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:39:39 PM
Seriously? "Call them"?

There is the 800 number and an email address that you can call and ask any and all questions and get it from the company.

How does getting information second hand (and possible wrong or out dated) help anyone?

Bend
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 9:05:18 PM
FS-FNRL
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 9:19:54 PM
If I could have answered your question I would have.
forrest0872
Armed and Dangerous
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:15:30 PM
If only I lived near frontsight....................

If only frontsight opened a new facility near me!!!!!
My guns are not worth your life, but my liberty and freedom are worth mine.
sleepdr
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:26:11 AM
Originally Posted By Bend:
This

Hope I get a few more classes in on my Diamond membership before things go away.

They need, IMHO, a corporate facelift. The place has potential to be even better, but is hampered by some puzzling management choices. The core content of the lectures & training is excellent. However, the goal of appealing to a wider audience to improve PR for gun owners may be hard for them to hit. A few thoughts off the top of my head:

Running water & septic system bathrooms to make the facility less austere for first-timers. I still dread the prospect of dropping my mags, gun, eye pro, or ear pro into the blue water in a Porta-Potty.
Food concession. That's a no-brainer with running water. They have captive group of students either carting in their lunches or having them delivered at great cost. FS is missing out on $ there.
Get a proper film producer to do a better-quality "documentary" that doesn't charge a "million dollars." My father's been a documentary & industrial film producer for 30 years. I guarantee he could crank out a piece with higher production values for that amount or less, unless the testimonials were heavily compensated. The distorted audio in some parts is truly bush-league.
Spend some of the advertizing budget on the physical plant (see above about bathrooms), to include rental guns. The M16s in my last class had a very high failure rate.
Get the Pro Shop to actually answer my phone call & email about ammo availability for the Advanced Tactical Handgun class in 2 weeks... but I digress there. Bought ammo online elsewhere.
Get a web presence on various websites, populating forums like our own industry forum here. I agree that a "members-only" webpage is nice but somewhat self-defeating.

If Piazza ever had to relinquish control, I'd hope that a good group of investors & managers could keep the place going. It has a recognizable name and a long history.
Bend
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:06:27 AM
I agree.
tothemax
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:37:32 AM
i also agree.

that place could make a killing if they had a chow hall. charge a fair amount for a lunch and watch the $$$ roll in.

also once its feasible build a hotel on sight. many people would pay a little extra $$$ to not have to drive from pharump (sp) each day.

running water would also be great. there has to be an underground water source they can drill and tap into.
cacafuego
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2009 5:16:19 PM
What they have planned is...

wait for it......

time shares.

I've always been shocked that they don't have at least a "roach coach" type catering truck out there. And a freaking soda machine.
FS-FNRL
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:12:51 PM
There is a 1,000+ foot well and water tower to the right as you come in the gate.

There is a refrigerator in the Pro Shop for sodas.
sleepdr
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:49:20 PM
[Last Edit: 5/17/2009 11:50:33 PM by sleepdr]
There is a 1,000+ foot well and water tower to the right as you come in the gate.

There is a refrigerator in the Pro Shop for sodas.

They're a good start. The last email I got this weekend mentioned 428 students. One fridge for 428 students and however many staff seems to be a bit on the low side. We have around 20 CRNAs and 10 docs on duty most workdays, and our 1 fridge is always crammed full.

What do they do with the well & water tower? I've never seen any drinkable water there outside of water bottles or the coolers at each range table. I do see plenty of "do not drink" stickers on the hand wash stations, as well as a water truck spraying the parking lot to reduce dust.

I'm not knocking the training or concept - am a member there & keep coming back. I just think there is more that could be done to improve the aesthetics. If you want a place to be a "resort for gun owners," we all know it doesn't necessarily need to compete with the Bellagio. There are some missing basic amenities that seem to get low priority. It's been a long uphill battle to persuade my wife to come take a class, partly due to the comparatively austere facilities. I think she'll be going in September, if we find ammo anywhere & FS is still running classes.