Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 9:09:40 AM EDT
My brother gave me a book telling me I should read it[>:/]

The book is, " Ho Chi Minh" by Jules Archer.

Maybe it's me but anyone who would paint a communist in a favorable light is kinda a.......
communist?

Anyone read it or know of the author?  Is it worth my time?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard of the book but have not read it.
Obviously there are many books out on "Ho" but I believe this one goes back to WWII.
If so, read the book.
"If" this is the book I'm remembering you won't be a happy camper but who you're pissed at may surprise you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe not. In the begining, Ho Chi Minh was pro American. He even had a lot of democratic ideas. It was our taking the side of the South Vietnamese that started him leaning more toward the Chinese Communists. I'm not advocating communism. I spent my 13.5 months in VietNam, 68-69 fighting against it, but the U.S. isn't without some blame. If we'd have given Ho some support, there is a good posibility that he would have been pro-democratic and save us 50,000 sum odd thousand lives and billions of dollars.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe not. In the begining, Ho Chi Minh was pro American. He even had a lot of democratic ideas. It was our taking the side of the South Vietnamese that started him leaning more toward the Chinese Communists. I'm not advocating communism. I spent my 13.5 months in VietNam, 68-69 fighting against it, but the U.S. isn't without some blame. If we'd have given Ho some support, there is a good posibility that he would have been pro-democratic and save us 50,000 sum odd thousand lives and billions of dollars.
View Quote

We are in agreement.
My "........but who you're pissed at may surprise you." phrase was aimed at exactly your point.

pakrat, there were enough villians, heros, no-goods, idiots, thives, murders, etc., to fill volumes.
Nothing in the book could possibly worse than the truth.
Read the book.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Omega5,
      My understanding of Ho Chi Minh's history comes from a lot of sources, mostly reading. The liberals and most of the press swallowed this 'democratic' line hook line and sinker. OF course Ho Chi Minh was not his real name. It is not generally known that Ho was trained as an communist agent in the Soviet Union in early last century. He was widely traveled, and a brilliant communist, who masquraded as a lover of democracy. Ho was all things to all people. Sure he was involved in the resistance against the Japanese, but so were many other groups in Indo-China. Since Ho had the training and support of the Soviet Union his resistance group was one of the dominate one's.
    Ho during the struggle against the French during the French Indo-china war was a double agent who went under various aliases. He would provide names of other resistance leaders to the French Secret Police, undermining the groups that had ideals that differed from his communist idealogy, and weaking them. Sun Tzu would have proud. During the '54' revolution Ho turned is communist ideals into reality by murdering most of the landowners and causing a famine that killed ten's of thousands of his own countrymen. No, Ho was no democrat, rather a ruthless butcher of his people. Uncle Ho and Uncle Joe were not that far apart...
    Given what I've said, I do not believe we were not without fault. I was in Vietnam 66-68 and saw plenty. A war fought under insane rules of engagement, corruption and waste on a vast scale, a president that had ego so large that he told he Joint Chiefs where they could bomb. And worse, after we won a tremendous victory on the TET-68 battlefield, a month later, March 31st, he bugged out, taking the rest of the country with him. LBJ was playing out of his league And as you said, we veterans paid the  price in blood.

Welcome home,
                                   Gib

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top