Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2017 1:52:06 PM EDT
Is there any benefit to joining the VFW, other than having a bar to go drink with old guys (I'm old 44, and I don't drink)?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that's it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They did the 21 gun salute and my Grandfather's funeral.  In a driving rain.  He was a WWII vet
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Aside from the bar, which is no help to me since I also don't drink (anymore), they lobby, offer support programs, and general do-goodness stuff.
Assistance to veterans in filing claims with the VA is a major program they offer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The national organization lobbies in Washington on behalf of veterans. Think NRA.

Our local post gave over $25k to community organizations last year. The bar generates the money for that.

They also help with filing VA claims, which is very important if you need that kind of assistance.

If you think it's important enough to join the NRA, you should probably feel the same about the VFW. Join a local post and help your community; it's also cheaper than joining just the national.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
THe local VFW here does not allow drinking or smoking. Fuck em
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a nearby VFW that held a raffle on June 30.
The prize was a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Wut???
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same for the one nearby in Maine.
No drinking at all.

However they have weekly AA meetings, and a weekly Beano (bingo) game.

I think it points to local chapters being responsive to the conversation of their membership.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Aside from the bar, which is no help to me since I also don't drink (anymore), they lobby, offer support programs, and general do-goodness stuff.
Assistance to veterans in filing claims with the VA is a major program they offer.
View Quote
Filing claims is a good enough reason to join any of these groups.

DAV is pretty much specifically for that... they don't have a bar that I know of.

Membership for these organizations is pretty low these days. They're having a really hard time getting the post-9/11 generation to fill the ranks that WWII, Korea, and Vietnam veterans previously filled.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, in the late 60's and 70's they would not allow Nam vets to join.  Then again neither did the American Legion.  Seems the older vets didn't think we deserved to join their organizations.

Funny, today I get stuff from both wanting me to join.  It will be a cold day in hell before I do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Every VFW is different. I am the Senior Vice Commander of my VFW. We have the bar, steak nights, bands, charity's and all sorts of events. The VFW is all about Vets supporting Vets. There is a fund available for comrades in distress, chaplains available, and many other benefits. Here at Bragg we actually have a younger crowd.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the criteria to join?  I served in the military but wasn't deployed.  The Italian social club that I belong to allows non-Italians to join as a social member so they can come use the bar and eat at the restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is the criteria to join?  I served in the military but wasn't deployed.  The Italian social club that I belong to allows non-Italians to join as a social member so they can come use the bar and eat at the restaurant.
View Quote
Check out the VFW's website and review the eligibility criteria. That's where I found out that serving a tour in Korea would qualify you for membership.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every VFW is different. I am the Senior Vice Commander of my VFW. We have the bar, steak nights, bands, charity's and all sorts of events. The VFW is all about Vets supporting Vets. There is a fund available for comrades in distress, chaplains available, and many other benefits. Here at Bragg we actually have a younger crowd.
View Quote
Which one around Bragg?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
The National VFW PAC donated money to democrats such as Schumer and Pelosi. I was a member of the VFW for 18 years but quit when this came to light. They claimed it was a separate entity (lied) but they took some steps to fix it. Bottom line, fuck the VFW, not it's local members. I just will not be a part of an organization that gives big money to leftists.

VFW statement https://www.vfw.org/news-and-publications/press-room/archives/2010/10/vfw-leaders-act-on-pac-endorsements

The VFW PAC endorsed Barbara Boxer the same year she sponsored a fund raiser for Jane Fonda. I guess the VFW just said fuck those Vietnam vets. Plus they backed the democrat who ran against Col. Allen West
https://www.thedailybeast.com/midterm-election-endorsements-result-in-firing-of-vfw-pac-board
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The National VFW PAC donated money to democrats such as Schumer and Pelosi. I was a member of the VFW for 18 years but quit when this came to light. They claimed it was a separate entity (lied) but they took some steps to fix it. Bottom line, fuck the VFW, not it's local members. I just will not be a part of an organization that gives big money to leftists.

VFW statement https://www.vfw.org/news-and-publications/press-room/archives/2010/10/vfw-leaders-act-on-pac-endorsements

The VFW PAC endorsed Barbara Boxer the same year she sponsored a fund raiser for Jane Fonda. I guess the VFW just said fuck those Vietnam vets. Plus they backed the democrat who ran against Col. Allen West
https://www.thedailybeast.com/midterm-election-endorsements-result-in-firing-of-vfw-pac-board
View Quote
Damn it! I just joined my local VFW last week.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, in the late 60's and 70's they would not allow Nam vets to join.  Then again neither did the American Legion.  Seems the older vets didn't think we deserved to join their organizations.

Funny, today I get stuff from both wanting me to join.  It will be a cold day in hell before I do.
View Quote
Its run by vietnam vets now, so
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine is mostly social members who can smoke in the bar. You can't wear a hat inside because it's disrespectful, but I'm sure more veterans  die of cancer and alcoholism than hurt feelings.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Membership is limited to veterans with campaign ribbons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
So ... American Legion?

Not a fan of the DAV since one guy tried to talk me into joining and trying to get me a rating.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to enjoy the VFW, but lost heart with it when they did absolutely nothing about one of the post commanders who was a SEAL poser. I also got real tired of National pressuring for new members all the damn time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine is only good for drinking. It is way too political. I often get banned at the legion for disagreeing with members, their wives, calling out stolen valor, playing the jukebox, watching the NFL, etc.
They are all geriatric, uneducated and socially awkward. The general public at other bars would laugh at them. Not really worth it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mine is only good for drinking. It is way too political. I often get banned at the legion for disagreeing with members, their wives, calling out stolen valor, playing the jukebox, watching the NFL, etc.
They are all geriatric, uneducated and socially awkward. The general public at other bars would laugh at them. Not really worth it.
View Quote
How's the saying goes, if you meet assholes all day......
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How's the saying goes, if you meet assholes all day......
View Quote
I agree, but it is the same small handful (4) of people who are in control.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok so what about the American Legion?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Drink, hold a few dances, hold a few breakfasts and offer some assistance programs to vets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top