Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2017 7:03:20 PM EDT
I'm trying to get together everything needed to complete a memorial display shadow box for my grandfather who served in the AF. 

My main question is about the service ribbons. I have been doing research to try and get them in order based on the ones he had with his things.  I believe it is everything, but is there anywhere I can get records to make sure i didn't miss anything?
Also, I found a site called ezrackbuilder, and went through adding each ribbon I had identified.  It appears to know the priorities for placement, does anyone know if they have issues or is it ok to trust it? 

Is there a standard whether to buy new ribbons to have them all in new condition, or is it better to use what he has that are faded and worn?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm trying to get together everything needed to complete a memorial display shadow box for my grandfather who served in the AF. 

My main question is about the service ribbons. I have been doing research to try and get them in order based on the ones he had with his things.  I believe it is everything, but is there anywhere I can get records to make sure i didn't miss anything?
Also, I found a site called ezrackbuilder, and went through adding each ribbon I had identified.  It appears to know the priorities for placement, does anyone know if they have issues or is it ok to trust it? 

Is there a standard whether to buy new ribbons to have them all in new condition, or is it better to use what he has that are faded and worn?

Thanks!
View Quote
If he is still alive, he will have to help with the records search.   A DD214 (which he will have) lists them..... obviously you have to let him in on the surprise for this.....  or be tricky somehow..... maybe ask him to see it?    If he has lost it, he can order another one.... tell him it is important to you to have this to commemorate his service...  it will actually be nice to have once he is gone....   

I used to get my ribbons at this site   Ultrathin ribbons   but you can use any quick comparison, or just download a decoration chart from the year he retired/separated....  you can manually check that they are gtg

I would buy new.....  they will look better in a display.....   you do not have to buy the fancy thin ones (these cling to the uniform and look sharper), and the shadowbox will hold up a standard ribbon rack just fine.

Good luck!   
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  He passed away a few years ago, and we just hadn't ever got it all put together.  

So, it sounds like I need to find his DD214 and that will have all the information I need.  I think I have seen one in my dad's files, so I don't think that will be an issue. 

And I will buy new.  I figured it would look better, but didn't know if there was any tradition of using his last set or something like that. 

THanks again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top