Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2017 3:04:52 PM EDT
Friends mother in law...

she was married to a Veteran (retired from Active Duty)--he died a while back.  

I was wondering, should she be getting any $$$ from the military?  (other than a SGLI or other insurance)

just curious if all the $$ would end when the retired veteran died...

she seems to be still covered by tricare

just curious.

thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Vet benefits for survivors are very situationally dependent. The standard is the death benefit- some money towards burial, headstone/niche marker, flag, presidential certificate, honor guard, etc..

The rest depend on different factors. Was he service connected? Was one of those service connections related to cause of death? The list is long and murky. She needs to get ahold of a service officer, sit down, and go through the process.

Some potential benefits could include a pension (DIC), ed benefits, healthcare, etc..

Worth her time to look into but don't make any promises. Survivor benefits can be an animal to work through.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vet benefits for survivors are very situationally dependent. The standard is the death benefit- some money towards burial, headstone/niche marker, flag, presidential certificate, honor guard, etc..

The rest depend on different factors. Was he service connected? Was one of those service connections related to cause of death? The list is long and murky. She needs to get ahold of a service officer, sit down, and go through the process.

Some potential benefits could include a pension (DIC), ed benefits, healthcare, etc..

Worth her time to look into but don't make any promises. Survivor benefits can be an animal to work through.
View Quote
If SM is medically retired the spouse can receive benefits for the rest of their life.

I knew a Warrant Officer that was medically retired in less than 24 hrs after collapsing at Gym in the morning.  He passed a short time later.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My father had been retired from active duty for about 25 years when he passed away from a stroke.

Close to a year after he passed away, my mother received a letter from the VA.

Evidently the VA had reviewed his cause of death and his military records and determined that the cause of death was related to his military service. The letter stated that my mother would now receive a monthly benefit for life and back pay of that benefit for the year since his death.

My mother was absolutely floored by this, especially since she didn't submit any paperwork to the VA. To think that the VA proactively did this still amazes me to this day.

With all that said, I wouldn't leave it up to chance and would still go with the advice of getting help to determine possible benefits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top