Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 11:31:52 PM EDT
My grandfather was a WWII Marine, and was very proud of his service. His shadowbox was destroyed in a house fire, and I need help identifying the items from a photograph (I got the picture from my dad, I don't know why the pictures are whited out. Grandpa died 30 years ago).

I also have his burial flag, so any suggestions on shadowboxes that can also accommodate a casket-sized flag would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Bottom row of ribbons might be Presidential Unit Citation, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal.  Medals are Purple Heart and National Defense. No clue on top ribbon row.  

That's really cool.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
WWII Victory Medal, WWII Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, WWII American Theater Campaign.

Campaign ribbons should be below the PHM, GCM and NDSM.

Looks there is a French Fourragere cord (5th or 6th Marine Regiment) and 1st and 2nd MarDiv patches, plus a modern subdued 2nd MarDiv patch and an old pre-WWII EGA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The ribbons are way out of order.  

But there is a 1st and 2nd division patches.  The medals on the bottom are, from left to right, presidential? unit citation, purple heart, and good conduct.  The top row are theater campaign medals.  The ropes I think belong to the 5 Marine reg. Something about France.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree out of order.

Top Row is  WW-II Victory Medal, Asiatic/Pacific Campaign with 2 Campaign/battle stars, American Theater Campaign

Bottom row is USMC Presidential Unit Citation, Purple Heart Ribbon, and Marine Corps Good Conduct
Medals are Purple Heart and National Defense Service Medal

The two round things look like ID Disks, predecessor of the more common dog tags
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
There might be some good answers here and here. For some reason, I can't see the picture; so I can't be of much help otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
US Military Medals. Com
Send them a pick of the Shadow box. They can rebuild the box and put the ribbons in the correct order for you. Tell them you want to ad his burial flag and they can accommodate that too. They're not cheap, but so quality work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all your help, gents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top