Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:23:21 PM EDT
I have a friend/neighbor who I learned this morning is heavily struggling with some mental things from his time in the ME.

When I went to give him mail that was dropped in my box, his door was wide open with him on the floor barely responsive. He's a great guy, I hate to see alcohol/other things get the best of him.

I'm not from this back ground, I can't relate, but I want to be here if he needs something.

What can those of you who've been in his shoes tell me?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
He's going to need professional help with it. Have you told him you think he's a great guy, good neighbor etc. ? He's probably dealing with a lot of guilt and he needs to be told he's a good person. If you can offer your support while he seeks treatment it may be all you can do for him. A lot of guys know they need help and want it but don't make the jump to do it for a million reasons. Best of luck to him.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's going to need professional help with it. Have you told him you think he's a great guy, good neighbor etc. ? He's probably dealing with a lot of guilt and he needs to be told he's a good person. If you can offer your support while he seeks treatment it may be all you can do for him. A lot of guys know they need help and want it but don't make the jump to do it for a million reasons. Best of luck to him.
View Quote
Oh good point,

He is currently getting professional help. He recently went across the country to a month long inpatient treatment on some base. A lot of that was to do with the physical affects of a TBI he sustained, but through talking to him, it sounds like he got a good dose of mental treatment as well, though everything he's said about it has been in the context of "it opened my eyes, but made it worse". I'm not sure if getting worse is a requisite of the healing process....
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Let him know you're available to listen. You may not understand what happened but you can help provide an outlet. If nothing else you can talk about how his daily life is going and try to find the positive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Does hehace any family?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does hehace any family?
View Quote
He's from Texas and most his family is there. His daughter, 7yo and the daughters mom/his ex wife are here. The ex is a large area of stress, the daughter is a huge motivation.

My biggest worry is that this could have happened on a weekend his daughter was in his care. If that were the case, all kinds of "downhill" scenarios could be created.

I might try to just be a better friend. He active at the gym, and I am too, though we've never gone to lift together. Sounds like the best option is just to be a source of positivity for him.

I appreciate the insight guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top