Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 12:49:04 AM EDT
Title says it what can you tell me?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty open-ended question. Do you like tanks? Tanks are cool. Yes, you like tanks. Ergo, you can be cool. You can also be the baddest SOB on the battlefield. That's also cool. Firing the 120mm about 6" to your left shoulder is awesomely cool, so there's that too. So, yes, it's cool. Are you lazy? Because road marches are much easier on a tank. Why carry a weapon when your weapon will carry you?

There's also a lot of mud, tank bites (Where you damage yourself doing maintenance), and everything on the bloody tank is heavy as hell. You overheat in the summer due to lack of air conditioning, and you freeze your ass in the Winter because the heater only works April through October.

Seriously, though, what are you reclassing from? Why are you considering it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
19K has a Y in the "in" column that corresponds to your skill level????
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I was a 19K, only time I was ever in a Abrams was for basic training. Out of my entire osut class of 120+, around 10 of got sent to Fort Lewis to be on Strykers which the tank variant is the MGS.

Trained on the MGS for roughly year and half, went to Afghanistan and we couldn't take them outside the fob cause they weren't double v hull vehs. Spent first part of deployment as a fill in gunner for whichever infantry platoon needed someone till our company CO grabbed us up and made us his vehicle crew. That was awesome cause he was not about staying on the COB and we were going out about every day for the first 5 months until we got a new CO who was a piece of shit (even ND'd his m9 in his office about a month before we went home)

Came back to Lewis, brigade disbanded and I got out. Wouldn't change any of it
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was a 19K, only time I was ever in a Abrams was for basic training. Out of my entire osut class of 120+, around 10 of got sent to Fort Lewis to be on Strykers which the tank variant is the MGS.

Trained on the MGS for roughly year and half, went to Afghanistan and we couldn't take them outside the fob cause they weren't double v hull vehs. Spent first part of deployment as a fill in gunner for whichever infantry platoon needed someone till our company CO grabbed us up and made us his vehicle crew. That was awesome cause he was not about staying on the COB and we were going out about every day for the first 5 months until we got a new CO who was a piece of shit (even ND'd his m9 in his office about a month before we went home)

Came back to Lewis, brigade disbanded and I got out. Wouldn't change any of it
View Quote
I was on that deplyment. Ran missions up and down the horn and the rest of RC south.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I reclassed out of 19k if that input helps.

Spent 4 years and a 15 month deployment floating between half strength provisional infantry and non stop vehicle maintenance.  Lots of hard work, very slow promotions, and limited duty stations or additional opportunities.

I'm extremely glad I left.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Like has already been stated.If you like long hours,No sleep,constant maint,slow promotions,and the best job i ever had.Do it.It will be in your blood or not.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't people normally reclass OUT of 19K?
How shitty is the job you're in now?

How many tank battles did we have in the last 16 years?
I don't see that changing in the next war we fight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't people normally reclass OUT of 19K?
View Quote
That's what I thought, outside of guard.  

I left tanks and in less than two years I outranked all of the NCO's that picked me up from reception at my first duty station.  Promotion even aside, leaving armor was the best decision I ever made.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
From my experience deployed: it was sort of like infantry, but instead of having any semblance of downtime after doing infantry shit (nothing wrong with that and we were good at it) you need to come back to base and do services on your tank.  I have heard it has gotten bad over the last almost decade since I have been out with tankers sort of being placed in things that non-combat arms cannot do and TCNs/contractors refuse to do while deployed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top