Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2017 3:46:30 AM EDT
Ill make this long story short. Mid 20's,  Did 4.5 years in the USMC and got out last year. Currently a full time LEO and love the work. Was Corrections in the Corps and hated it, wished everyday I could go back and sign an 03XX contract (as dumb as that may seem). I just feel like I never did my part, I joined to do the Marine thing and go overseas and all my requests to do so were denied(IA Billet) so I stayed stateside my entire enlistment.

Before becoming a LEO I went and spoke with an Army recruiter and expressed an interest in returning to the .mil and showed interest in the Rangers. He stated that because I was prior service I could not become a Ranger and the closest he could get me to something like that was 11b or SF. Is there any truth to this? And does anyone have any insight to the Rangers currently?

Should I just keep with the current job and leave this mindset to rest? Just still have this feeling like I didn't do my part.

Thanks All.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he had 11b and 18x slots but didn't have an Ranger option contracts available.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is my thread about trying to get into the National Guard as an 11B.  I am still trying but it is much more difficult than I had anticipated.  I am also prior USMC and current LE.  I have never heard that prior service cannot go to Ranger School, in fact that is a goal of mine, I would imagine that your recruiter didn't have any 11Z contracts available.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are allowed to reup at ALL as prior service you will get a shit job first re-enlistment.  then you MAY be able to reup later for a better job
It has been this way for a long time,  the services just don't want prior service.  there was a time when they did during iraq and afgan when they did for a while now things are slowing down they just want raw recruits,  

If you like your job now just stay at it.  I tried to get back in years ago (before the berlin wall fell) and all I could get was track mech or combat eng (I was 33Q MI first enlistment)  blew my knee out in the guard as a combat eng and had to wait 6 months and the  wall fell and nada. it worked out best in the end as my back was toast and I was around to take care of my dad.  thanks for your service brother.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The AF is always looking for Pararescue, Combat Controllers, and TACPs.  If you're interested talk to your nearest AF recruiter.  You'll be guaranteed all of the cool guy schools, that will be very hard to come by in the Army, even in Ranger battalion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If the recruiter won't give you what you want, bail on that idea and stay where you're at. Like mentioned before, the AF has openings for special operations community positions for prior service. PJ, CCT, TACP, etc. But they have the luxury of being very selective. Believe me, I tried. USMC for five years, EAS'd, attempted AFSOC, denied, now in the Navy on active duty (not Specwar). The navy will take you for anything that's available, despite what a recruiter may tell you, and that includes the cool s*** like SEAL and SWCC, but again, the screening processes are long and intricate, but overall your chances are better as long as you put up competitive scores.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are allowed to reup at ALL as prior service you will get a shit job first re-enlistment.  then you MAY be able to reup later for a better job
It has been this way for a long time,  the services just don't want prior service.  there was a time when they did during iraq and afgan when they did for a while now things are slowing down they just want raw recruits,  

If you like your job now just stay at it.  I tried to get back in years ago (before the berlin wall fell) and all I could get was track mech or combat eng (I was 33Q MI first enlistment)  blew my knee out in the guard as a combat eng and had to wait 6 months and the  wall fell and nada. it worked out best in the end as my back was toast and I was around to take care of my dad.  thanks for your service brother.
View Quote

This may be true for active duty but I do not believe that it rings true for the guard or reserves.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
PRISE-III is a bitch to find open billets for, so much so that the district (Navy) I was at had a standing order not to process for it.  From talking with the Army guys that were next to us the only AD they had for PS was 18 series.

BTW I'm on terminal now and finished on recruiting duty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Move along Troop.

Your Leo now....

You have a job you like..  Why fuck it up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a USMC MP reserve unit in Billings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
+1.

You are doing your part every day.

Quoted:
Move along Troop.

Your Leo now....

You have a job you like..  Why fuck it up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Enlistment options change almost weekly. Option 40 (RASP) contracts may be the only thing not available to prior service guys, today. Next month, it might be the only thing available.

Try back again in a few weeks. Contacting another recruiter in a different district might help, too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
We're full

Why not just go back into the USMC?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Your a god damn idiot if you go back in.

Look what the Ranger Regiment did to Pat Tillman. Killed by accident, because his Captian lied, and Gen. McCrystal lied to cover it up.

I was in the 1st Ranger Bn 30 years ago, for 1-1/2 years. Peacetime. I'm far enough from it now to see what it actually was-pure Army propaganda.

Anyone can go to US Army Ranger school. ANYONE.

Read "War is a Racket" bt MG Smedley Butler, 2 time Medal of Honor recipient. warisaracket.com

You already "did your part".
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Spokane, WA, C co 1-161, National Guard, if your in good shape and a high speed, they've been sending lots of dudes to Ranger school.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the age cutoff for re-entry if prior service? Into Army, Into AF?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the age cutoff for re-entry if prior service? Into Army, Into AF?
View Quote
The AF is now 39.  Prior service slots are damn hard to come by though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm also prior service. Only options given to me were 18x, and 11b. I need a waiver, and they are not accepting prior service waivers at this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top