Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 5:53:08 AM EDT
Howdy,  had a couple of questions regarding USAF SERE Instructors.  My son wants to join the USAF,  but wants a challenging job.  How long is the enlistment?  I know PJ is 6 years due to all of the training.  But I thought that SERE was a 4 year hitch. My kids AF recruiter is a complete dipshit and doesn't have concrete answers.  He hasn't been the most forthcoming with my kid,  so I got involved and began asking him questions.  Now it's a lot of "I don't know."

Was hoping anyone with knowledge of the USAF SERE Instructor gig could provide me with some better information and advice please.  I'll be happy to take any discussions to pm for those that don't want to openly post.  I'm just looking for information for my son so I can better guide him.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]
My info might be dated, retired USAF E-8 in 2001.  Spent a little time as a recruiter.  Normal enlistment is 4 years.  Instructors are usually selected from members in that particular field.  So, I don't think you son can go directly into instructor duty.  Best bet is to fine a unit with SERE instructor and give them a call.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I worked with a guy who was a former USAF SERE School Instructor.

One of the biggest no-personality argumentative douche bags I've ever worked with.

Sample size of one, sorry.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Former AF here, got out in 07.  Been through USAF SERE School and had a good buddy that was an instructor.

To my knowledge, your son should be able to do either a 4 or 6 year enlistment with that career field.  After basic, he'll go to indoc at Lackland and if he passes that he'll be off to Fairchild for a 6 month tech school.

Go here for more info:  http://www.gosere.af.mil/

It used to be that most bases did not have dedicated SERE instructors, they were all at Fairchild.  So, after I graduated the course, I was assigned to be the survival continuation training instructor for my squadron.  Eventually we got a SERE instructor on base so he took over that duty, but we hit it off so I got to tag along and be his defacto assistant.  I had a blast doing that stuff and my buddy loved being a SERE guy.  

I believe these days, every base with a flying squadron will have their own SERE personnel to perform the continuation training.  So after your son does his time at the school in Fairchild, he may be able to PCS somewhere else.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked with a guy who was a former USAF SERE School Instructor.

One of the biggest no-personality argumentative douche bags I've ever worked with.

Sample size of one, sorry.
View Quote

You too?  I work with a guy who made it part way through the school and he fits your description to a T.  I can't stand the guy, he's a fucking washout and miserable that he got stuck in Security Forces.  I picked this shit and can only complain so much.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I'm waiting on a return phone call that I placed to the school on base.  Hopefully I'll hear back on it next week
I did talk to a recruiter in Spokane who was a wealth of info.  He basically told me (in a very polite way) that my kids recruiter must have been a newb or just an idiot.  My son seems really excited though.  Takes his entrance PT test next week. He should smoke it,  no problem.  Discipline for my kids growing up was PT rather than a backhand or grounding them.  I figured that if they screw up,  they should also benefit from their behavior somehow.  They did,  both of them can get a chuckle out of military calisthenics.  Now he just needs to work on some serious endurance for this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top