Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 10:37:29 AM EDT
Retired and my daughter wants me to wear Blues for the wedding. It's been a while so I have a couple questions...hope you guys can help

- Jump boots or low quarters? I'm jump qualified.

- Beret or no beret? Morning wedding.

- Medals or ribbons? Have an old ribbon bar but have no idea where my medals are. I think they were minatures. If I find them can I wear minature medals or just stick with ribbons?

Thanks.

Paul

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Stolen Valor much?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?
View Quote

What? You being a smart ass or did I miss something?  Dude, you need to explain yourself. I don't take kindly to your comment. If we need the mods to get involved then lets do it. Guys like you fuck this site up. IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
How about Mess Dress

I got married in mine while on active duty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about Mess Dress

I got married in mine while on active duty.
View Quote

The problem is that the wedding is in 2 weeks. I still have a set of blues that fit, with all the shit sewn on, so that's what I'll go with. Just don't know all the nuances any more. I guess I could look it up but took the lazy way out

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Retired and my daughter wants me to wear Blues for the wedding. It's been a while so I have a couple questions...hope you guys can help

- Medals or ribbons? Have an old ribbon bar but have no idea where my medals are. I think they were minatures. If I find them can I wear minature medals or just stick with ribbons?

Thanks.

Paul

View Quote

If you want to be correct, check out ar670-1

ETA:
If you don't take the time to look it up and wear the uniform correctly, don't wear it.
Don't wear jump boots to a formal wedding.
Beret before 5pm.
Ribbons and a bow tie.
Look it up and do it right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What? You being a smart ass or did I miss something?  Dude, you need to explain yourself. I don't take kindly to your comment. If we need the mods to get involved then lets do it. Guys like you fuck this site up. IM sent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?

Chill dude, take a joke. I am retired Navy and the tackiest thing to see in a ceremony of any type is a hanger onner who is trying to relive the glory days and shows up in a F'd up uniform.

You served, look up the regs. if you can't meet them, then wear something else.

Nice, IM too. I love the threats.

Go Navy........Beat Army again. Stay Classy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ribbons, bow tie, and low quarters.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Uniforms are for active duty. I know what you're trying to do but maybe just politely explain to her that wearing that uniform is more than just putting on some clothes.

Mine is packed away. The only thing I still wear every now and again is my pea coat, rank removed of course. And my old boat coat. I left the dolphins on because fuck it, I earned em.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Chill dude, take a joke. I am retired Navy and the tackiest thing to see in a ceremony of any type is a hanger onner who is trying to relive the glory days and shows up in a F'd up uniform.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?

Not funny or able to read.

Life must be hard for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?

Are you kidding me?  

No threat. I just emailed the forum mod and it's his call I suppose. My .02 is that you get banned.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ribbons, bow tie, and low quarters.

Have fun.
View Quote

Got it. Thanks.

I also realized that I don't have to adhere to the current AR670-1 but rather the reg that was in force when I retired. My Blues aren't ASU but rather the older dress blues.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA:
If you don't take the time to look it up and wear the uniform correctly, don't wear it.
Beret before 5pm.
Ribbons and a bow tie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Paul

ETA:
Beret before 5pm.
Ribbons and a bow tie.

This.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Uniforms are for active duty. I know what you're trying to do but maybe just politely explain to her that wearing that uniform is more than just putting on some clothes.

Mine is packed away. The only thing I still wear every now and again is my pea coat, rank removed of course. And my old boat coat. I left the dolphins on because fuck it, I earned em.

<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/doperide/media/0D29D144-45B7-47D0-A659-A8C6F3FFB4DC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/doperide/0D29D144-45B7-47D0-A659-A8C6F3FFB4DC.jpg</a>
View Quote

What?  Of course a uniform is appropriate for my daughters wedding. I'm still in good shape, can fit into the Blues fine, the Reg allows it and she asked for it. She was raised an Army brat and her best memories are of her life in those days.  Haen't you ever been to a Regimental ball as a retiree? It's expected that you'll be in Blues or mess dress.

As for you wearing your old uniforms kick-around clothes ...well personally that's something I detest. I would never wear a uniform unless it was worn correctly and under approved circumstances which a wedding is. It chaps my ass when I see guys walking around in old BDU/ACUs, etc...again that's just me and I'm pretty sure that once a uniform is past the wear out date it's ok to wear.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What?  Of course a uniform is appropriate for my daughters wedding. I'm still in good shape, can fit into the Blues fine, the Reg allows it and she asked for it. She was raised an Army brat and her best memories are of her life in those days.  Haen't you ever been to a Regimental ball as a retiree? It's expected that you'll be in Blues or mess dress.

As for you wearing your old uniforms kick-around clothes ...well personally that's something I detest. I would never wear a uniform unless it was worn correctly and under approved circumstances which a wedding is. It chaps my ass when I see guys walking around in old BDU/ACUs, etc...again that's just me and I'm pretty sure that once a uniform is past the wear out date it's ok to wear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/doperide/media/0D29D144-45B7-47D0-A659-A8C6F3FFB4DC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/doperide/0D29D144-45B7-47D0-A659-A8C6F3FFB4DC.jpg</a>

Whatever you say boss, don't be so defensive. I think that bubble head got under your skin a little. Those submariners are just a bunch of loudmouth pricks. Pay them no mind.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Whatever you say boss, don't be so defensive. I think that bubble head got under your skin a little. Those submariners are just a bunch of loudmouth pricks. Pay them no mind.

His buttons would be so easy to push on a 90 day underway. This is one of the tough guys!

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?

I regretfully apologize! Your military service deserves way more honor and gratitude. Thank you for your service.

Laugh more
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I regretfully apologize! Your military service deserves way more honor and gratitude. Thank you for your service.

Laugh more
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?

Laugh more

Thanks, apology accepted.

I'm hoping that you meant no harm and that it was your way of joking but laughing about stolen valor isn't something I'll ever do. I've dedicated my life for 35 years to the service of this nation, still doing it and have lost way too many friends to laugh about stolen valor. We are a nation at war.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Relax and enjoy retirement, I know I do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
As a retired Soldier you may wear your uniform at any event where formal wear would be appropriate (this includes weddings, funerals, enlistments and commissionings, swearings-in, and others' retirements).  Your call, medals or ribbons (typically ribbons, medals at events equivalent to civilian tuxedo).

You wear either the current uniform or the uniform in effect when you retired (this prevents you from having to buy NEW uniforms, if they still fit).

You wear low quarters and piss-cutter if jump boots and beret are not part of your Branch identification (i.e., Green Beret and jump boots) -- unless you retired off jump status (your last uniform, so you don't have to buy a Black Beret or piss-cutter and new low quarters).

Your left sleeve insignia is your last unit or the US Army Retired Patch (which looks hokey).
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see why I don't post here often.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I usually answer questions in direct context. But I'll elaborate.

I have worn my dress uniform to a wedding. I was active duty at the time and they were the nicest clothes I owned at the time. If I were attending an ex/retired naval function maybe I would maybe not. But in your context of being under the gun with a few weeks to get yourself together I'd probably skip it. I like that your trying to please your girl but if it were me I think I'd feel awkward in it.

As for your chaffing problem. When I was in the green field jackets were no longer authorized to wear in uniform. The exception was made on the waterfront or on the boat. It was a thing kind of exclusive to us and we only got our boat coats if a crusty old chief or officer gave you one on his way out. My chief gave me his. And I'll treasure it till the day I give to my son. As for the peacoat. Without rank it's just like every other peacoat out there just a little better made.

Not trying to razz you. I hope it turns out to be a perfect day for y'all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]
No dog in this hunt.  Do what your daughter asks of you and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As a retired Soldier you may wear your uniform at any event where formal wear would be appropriate (this includes weddings, funerals, enlistments and commissionings, swearings-in, and others' retirements).  Your call, medals or ribbons (typically ribbons, medals at events equivalent to civilian tuxedo).

You wear either the current uniform or the uniform in effect when you retired (this prevents you from having to buy NEW uniforms, if they still fit).

You wear low quarters and piss-cutter if jump boots and beret are not part of your Branch identification (i.e., Green Beret and jump boots) -- unless you retired off jump status (your last uniform, so you don't have to buy a Black Beret or piss-cutter and new low quarters).

Your left sleeve insignia is your last unit or the US Army Retired Patch (which looks hokey).
View Quote

Jump boots are part of my branch, 18 (SF) , but I'm thinking low quarters. Retired on jump status but it was low quaters in dress blues in my day as the ASU were greens. Now that blues are the ASU I understand that boots are worn and bloused. I'm going to wear IAW when I retired which, iirc, were low quarters.  

The thing is I don't remember wearing a beret in Blues....? Maybe because I only wore them, as far as I can recal, at night? Wasn't a bus driver hat the day head gear? Don't have one of those.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correctly worn, The Uniform is always appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never knew there was such a thing.

Which one is authorized, as there seem to be quite a few?

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't do the bow tie thing - regular tie, regular ribbons, beret. Bow tie is an evening formal thing - and then you wouldn't be wearing the beret. If you want to do medals, do the full sized ones - but that's a bit much for anyone with more than a few years in.

Never done more than 5 jumps needed to get a merit badge I never wear, and that was 21 years ago. Sounds odd to me to go the jump boot route now that you're retired and off status, but I'll let those who played that game decide what makes the most sense. Definitely don't mix the bow tie and jump boots.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't do the bow tie thing - regular tie, regular ribbons, beret. Bow tie is an evening formal thing - and then you wouldn't be wearing the beret. If you want to do medals, do the full sized ones - but that's a bit much for anyone with more than a few years in.

Never done more than 5 jumps needed to get a merit badge I never wear, and that was 21 years ago. Sounds odd to me to go the jump boot route now that you're retired and off status, but I'll let those who played that game decide what makes the most sense. Definitely don't mix the bow tie and jump boots.
View Quote

It looks like the choices are new Blues worn as the Army Service Uniform (the old greens) which then it would be beret and bloused boots or wear my old blues, which was then the dress uniform, and then wear low quarters. I still can't remember if a beret was worn with the dress uniform??

Anyways, being that the wedding is in 2 weeks and the daughter just had the good idea fairy land on her shoulder about me wearing Blues  it looks like I'll be wearing my old set. I'm going with ribbons, not medals and if I go with my old blues I believe the reg was bow tie in those days. I'm hoping that uniform is still set up and all I have to do is brasso.  I'm on the road and will check it this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
PDM -

It's your daughter's wedding and she'll only have one...blues, low quarters, ribbons are fin, bow tie as it's a formal event and you'll be rocking...don't worry too much about headgear, but if you've got the green bean, rock that out too...YOU know you served in that field and earned all the stuff you're authorized to wear.

Anyone shows up throwing you shit for honoring your daughter's wishes...punch them in the dick.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Jump boots and unit flash behind wings is a unit thing.  They are "Generally" only worn while in the unit, I wore my flash with low quarters at my wedding despite being in the 82nd at the time.  (you don't wear them for official DA photo etc)

Old blues pants with suspenders are fine for formal occasions and still required for mess dress.  

Ribbons, not medals.

Beret is approved headwear for ASU or Blues for event before 1700.

Except for unit awards, no current unit identification is worn

Combat "patch" is now a combat pin that is worn on the right breast pocket.  You will probably have to order one.

You "should" not wear green tabs on your blues any more (don't know if you are enlisted or O)

PM me any questions
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Laugh more
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stolen Valor much?

Laugh more

This....now go get your shine box!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#31]
No jump boots unless you are presently assigned to an Airborne unit

Even in Airborne units, you don't wear jump boots to formal functions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top