Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2016 7:06:56 PM EDT
how do you deal with it.

It feels like 50 hours of busy work per week accomplishing the demands of the S3/unit result in basically nothing to show for it, or are rendered useless by a last minute frago.

Not much job satisfaction right now.  I know I'm not the only one, how did you cope?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

how do you deal with it.

It feels like 50 hours of busy work per week accomplishing the demands of the S3/unit result in basically nothing to show for it, or are rendered useless by a last minute frago.

Not much job satisfaction right now.  I know I'm not the only one, how did you cope?
View Quote
It is a generational thing. We used to think 60-90 hours a week were normal.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how do you deal with it.

And you were happy with it/stayed motivated didn't burn out?

Want to contribute how you dealt with it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

how do you deal with it.

View Quote

Whiskey.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how do you deal with it.

I don't believe for two fucking seconds that for YEARS on end you did a 60-90 hour week shuffling paper, doing endless FRAGOs, scrapping plans that took weeks to make all while looking like

Quoted:
Quoted:
how do you deal with it.

Whiskey.

I believe this is an honest answer
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot often, and spend my off hours in my hobbies. Play softball, shoot, work on my cars,  etc.

Work to live, not live to work.

I average 50-60 hours a week.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

how do you deal with it.

View Quote
You just have to keep rowing, its just your turn.

Remember its not about you, its about the guys still in the fight, do your best one day will be back in the fight again.

Row well and live!!!

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how do you deal with it.

View Quote
Tea
bagged Office mugs and sat naked in staff office leather chairs after PT......it helped.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
- Row well and live
- Do work...it may seem meaningless, but someone is reaping the benefits of all of your synchronization
- Find balance...when there ain't nothing to do, don't do it there...I used to tell my staff that I was not impressed by guys that got there before me or stayed after me, I was impressed by guys that met commander's intent...and then would routinely throw guys out of the office to make them figure out how to better 1) manage their time so they could LEAD Soldiers and 2) find balance...have a hobby that ain't the Army
- If you're an officer and no one has told you this already...70% of your career will be filled with staff jobs, regardless of how long your career is...tighten up your chinstrap and see bullet two, you'll only get the privilege of command for that other 30 percent, get comfortable with it
- As mentioned before...whiskey...
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I've found in both military and civilian worlds that if folks are getting burned out, inviting them to step out of the office and away from computer to come join me in the field usually results in refusals.  At which time I tell them to quit complaining and get with the program.  I've never seen a staff person with that hollow eyed stare that comes from being truly burned out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
how do you deal with it.

View Quote

Stuff that is actually important gets actual work. Stuff that isn't important gets make believe work or I throw it back at S3 for clarification. If you can't get day to day work done in 8 hours or less, you are incompetent, stupid, or can't prioritize. After 9 hours you are spinning your wheels. After 10 you are completely worthless.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
If it has a deadline, it's important. If not....back burner. Every day finish something on the back burner list and eventually it all gets done.

I took great pleasure in telling Captains "NO". I was the tasking NCO and they hated me. LTC told them "if it came out of MSG Ps mouth, it came out of his". Awesome. I didn't abuse it but I enjoyed it. I never saw so many leaders piss and moan over a simple tasking when we were in red cycle.

How did I deal with the burnout? Retirement!

I got burnt out try so hard to get the leadership to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've found in both military and civilian worlds that if folks are getting burned out, inviting them to step out of the office and away from computer to come join me in the field usually results in refusals.  At which time I tell them to quit complaining and get with the program.  I've never seen a staff person with that hollow eyed stare that comes from being truly burned out.
View Quote

After three commands, two back-to-back, I'm thoroughly enjoying my staff weeny time. We quickly forget where we came from = perspective. Make the most of your off-duty time. Then leave, or retire.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
First, as previously stated- Whiskey.  Second, and more importantly, if you haven't knocked out your education (college- whatever) get after it now.  It sucks and isn't the funnest thing after you've been hitting the keyboard for the boss, but get it taken care of now while you have time at home.  After the homework is done, go back to the first advice ;)
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Beer. Lots and lots of beer. And shooting. Lots and lots of shooting.

And always remember to do you best, but in the end DILLIGAF.

I just went to a friends retirement ceremony. One of his old bosses was the presiding officer. Told a story of how he saw him having a crappy day one time. Told him to STFU and go run. After he ran for a while boss asked how he was. "Still pissed." made him run some more.  Until finally his answer was "still pissed but too tired to do anything about it."

Dude's a champion long distance (marathon and LONGER) runner now.

It happens. And it sux sometimes, but every job needs to be done....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I jumped to Brigade S2 for my 7. Did my time there and couldn't wait to get back to a line company. Don't get buried there for too long. Too many guys at that level were bidding their time before retirement. I was only half way through my career at that point.
They talked me into going back at the end of my career when they were spinning up for another deployment and it drove me bonkers because I'd forgotten how much I hated being in that staff environment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You make a list with 3 categories.

CAT 1 - Three things that must get done today
CAT 2 - Three things you'd like to get done today
CAT 3 - Things that are not going to get done today

Plan to have 2 items that were not on you list get added to CAT 1 at which point you move 2 items from CAT 2 to CAT 3.

Tomorrow. Do the same thing, except fill items for CAT 1 from CAT 2, and CAT 2 from CAT 3.

Rinse and repeat daily.

If you ever get through you CAT 1 and CAT 2 items...it's a great day.

If you ever get through your CAT 3 items you've won the lottery and consider granting/taking some early/sunshine liberty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top