Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2016 9:40:34 PM EDT
So we were digging through some old mess and came across some of his pins and patches. This is just some of it, he served back in the 70's and was stationed in Korea and for a time Ft Riley Kansas. Figured I'd share with you fella's.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Let Bacchus's sons be not dismayed,
but join with me each jovial blade,
come booze and sing and lend your aid,
to help me with the chorus:

and instead of spa we'll drink down ale
and pay the reck'ning on the nail,
for debt no man shall go to jail
from Garryowen in glory!

Cool stuff!

ETA: shoot, didn't realize this was in HOH. Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff!  I have my maternal Grandfather's patches and medals from WWII.  3rd Infantry, so he was a "replacement" in '45 the went  up through southern France and then into Southern Germany.  Dad's younger brother has my paternal Grandfather's patches, metals, and dress uniform.  2nd Service command in Northern France during WWII.

Always awesome to see those family heirlooms, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good stuff!  I have my maternal Grandfather's patches and medals from WWII.  3rd Infantry, so he was a "replacement" in '45 the went  up through southern France and then into Southern Germany.  Dad's younger brother has my paternal Grandfather's patches, metals, and dress uniform.  2nd Service command in Northern France during WWII.

View Quote

I had a great uncle who was in WWII as a B17 crew member, though from what I was told he never made it back, was shot down over France

Hoping I can find the the rest of dads patches, though they may be in my uncles shed down in SC.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wish I knew what my granddad did in WWII yet all he would say was he was a barber on a boat and he joined the tail end of WWII so he was in the Pacific yet he never talked about it other than saying when the big guns went off you had to be below deck which told me he was on a battle ship. He even said below deck they were still loud as shit. I would love to get his records just to see what he dealt with since he has passed just not sure how to go about it and my grandmother doesn't want us to dig into it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wish I knew what my granddad did in WWII yet all he would say was he was a barber on a boat and he joined the tail end of WWII so he was in the Pacific yet he never talked about it other than saying when the big guns went off you had to be below deck which told me he was on a battle ship. He even said below deck they were still loud as shit. I would love to get his records just to see what he dealt with since he has passed just not sure how to go about it and my grandmother doesn't want us to dig into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With my grandfathers,  I just did some general searching of what their units did.  Lots of info out there for general movements and locations.   Perhaps you could find what ship he was on as a start.  I know many vets don't like to talk about it, and some have requested their family let theme rest in peace and not dig up what might be some painful memories.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Garry Owen unit insignia is from Korea.  It was some type of Cav unit IIRC.

Used to drive by there on occasion, or when riding the bus back to Camp Greaves up to the DMZ.

We were always the last ones on the bus since we were going over the bridge and into the Z.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Used to drive by there on occasion, or when riding the bus back to Camp Greaves up to the DMZ.

We were always the last ones on the bus since we were going over the bridge and into the Z.
View Quote

What time frame where you there? He was there late 70's early 80's iirc.

his MOS was 63 Foxtrot.....or for those who don't know what that means, he worked tank retrieval up until he got mashed between a Sheridan and a motor hanging from the crane of his m88 when someone bumped another tank into said motor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some type of Cav?

7th Cav.

7th Cav
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top