Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2016 12:25:45 PM EDT
My son is enlisted and was supposed to leave July 7 as an AV. He was told the jobs were all overfilled and he would have to wait until Feb if he still wants it.
Yesterday he was offered an LS job and he not really sure about it.
Any advice or suggestions for him? He's been in the DEP since his 17th birthday and made E2, and really wants to leave asap
Thanks

Note: please don't move this to GD, if this is not the place to post this please just lock and delete it
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to wait for what he wants
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with waiting for what he wants is that he may never get it.  I retired from the Navy in 09 as an AT.  We had a lot of people in other aviation ratings that were being denied reenlistment simply because of their rating (AE and AM's mostly).  Most folks if they wanted to stay in had to convert to another usually completely different rating.  Not sure what an AV is as that was a rating only Master Chiefs had when I was in (AT or AE Master Chief).

When I first joined in 89 it was quite different.  They would let the lack of promotion opportunities weed folks out.  I actually enlisted as an AX.  But while I was in school the rates of AX, AQ and AT combined into just AT.  Someone had to literally die for someone else to get promoted for several years!!

I guess what I am saying is tell your son to pick from several ratings and see what he can get in to.  I'd also pick a rating that gives better job opportunities once he gets out whether it's after the first enlistment or 20 years.  But I would say stay in for at least one sea and one shore rotation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, He really wanted AV( Aviation Maintenance Administrator man) but he was told that with the overflow of personnel in that position that ranking up will be very slow.
So now he is back to square 1. At the moment he really doesn't know what he wants to do now. He is thinking about taking the LS job but is kind of meh on it.
Only advice I give him is to make sure there is civilian work available for what ever field he goes into.
I know he's talking to people and will ultimately make his own decision but I'm just a concerned Dad about to have the first of three children leave the nest lol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, He really wanted AV( Aviation Maintenance Administrator man) but he was told that with the overflow of personnel in that position that ranking up will be very slow.
So now he is back to square 1. At the moment he really doesn't know what he wants to do now. He is thinking about taking the LS job but is kind of meh on it.
Only advice I give him is to make sure there is civilian work available for what ever field he goes into.
I know he's talking to people and will ultimately make his own decision but I'm just a concerned Dad about to have the first of three children leave the nest lol.
View Quote

Ahh, AZ is what he was looking at.  Yea they do all the paperwork and take care of the Logbooks, NALCOMIS, and the 4790/51 cards etc.  Good rating to take.  He could also look at PS which is close but not maintenance related.  More of an HR type job.  SK/AK is supply side but it's also choked to death with folks who want to do as little as possible.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ahh, AZ is what he was looking at.  Yea they do all the paperwork and take care of the Logbooks, NALCOMIS, and the 4790/51 cards etc.  Good rating to take.  He could also look at PS which is close but not maintenance related.  More of an HR type job.  SK/AK is supply side but it's also choked to death with folks who want to do as little as possible.

Oops, you are correct. AZ not AV

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops, you are correct. AZ not AV

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Why not go IS or CT_?

Very marketable skills in the .gov and contracting after enlistment.  The security clearance is quite valuable.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, my boss' son just enlisted in the Marines.  It took him over a year.  One thing after another.  

And if you think that's bad try enlisting in the Coast Guard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Update; He decided to try and get the LS job. He will find out tomorrow at his DEP meeting if it's still available.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My son is enlisted and was supposed to leave July 7 as an AV. He was told the jobs were all overfilled and he would have to wait until Feb if he still wants it.
Yesterday he was offered an LS job and he not really sure about it.
Any advice or suggestions for him? He's been in the DEP since his 17th birthday and made E2, and really wants to leave asap
Thanks

Note: please don't move this to GD, if this is not the place to post this please just lock and delete it
Thanks
View Quote

It wasn't because the jobs were over filled it was because of budget cuts that the brass decided to put off until the last minute that caused 4000 shipping seats to be cut completely and the people in those seats to be roled out to Jan-Mar time frame.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats probably not a bad thing, LS has had a pretty crappy history of advancement. At least at the 2 commands I have been to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thats probably not a bad thing, LS has had a pretty crappy history of advancement. At least at the 2 commands I have been to.
View Quote
Probably doesn't help with the AK-SK merger and then the PC merger...

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I heard they killed off a lot of the CTx ratings and rolled them in with IT or something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not go IS or CT_?

Very marketable skills in the .gov and contracting after enlistment.  The security clearance is quite valuable.

I heard they killed off a lot of the CTx ratings and rolled them in with IT or something else.
CTI and CTR aren't going anywhere.  But yes, a few admin and technical specialties went to different rates.  They're still doing the same work and still have a very marketable skill set and clearance.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CTI and CTR aren't going anywhere.  But yes, a few admin and technical specialties went to different rates.  They're still doing the same work and still have a very marketable skill set and clearance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not go IS or CT_?

I was going to suggest a CT rating but I never knew they merged with the RM rating.  So when I see a rate getting merged with another all I see is zero advancement opportunities for a few years at least.  At least that's what I saw with my AK friends when AK+SK and what I saw personally when AX got rolled in with AT and AQ.

I've been out for seven years now and the changes in the last ten years have been crazy.  Kind of glad I'm out but at the same time I miss it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Coast Guard is hiring now and offering bonuses. My father retired as an STSC in the Navy and he wanted to lateral to the Coast Guard once he saw where I was being stationed. Coast Guard has 2500 vacancies. $2000 just to enlist. 10-40k depending on which rate you go. Straight to A school for EM, MK, ET, OS, FS, BM. A school wait for aviators is 2-3months. I deployed with navy and would not recommend. The quality of life is nowhere near that of the Coast Guard.

I understand that your son is DEP with Navy, but if he hasn't looked at Coast Guard, I'd recommend he take a look. If he is going to have to wait, he had options.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure didn't try and enlist as an AV? My brother enlisted as an AV and ended up as an AE(Aviation Electricians mate). If you enlist as an AV you go into Aviation electronics or electrician. Pretty much which ever one they need at that time. I would highly recommend this path. Lots of skills that will transfer to the civilian world. I personally would not take the az or the ls path, though I know many people who have excelled in those rates. PM me if you need more info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top