Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2016 9:42:19 AM EDT
A guy I work with & have known a long time is telling everybody that he was in the Army Reserves.   I lost contact with him for a few years and it is ' possible' that he went and joined, but I get the feeling he is making shit up to try to sound cool.  He is the biggest bullshitter I know & I don't believe that he was in the Army Reserves like he is saying.  His dad was in the Army, and his son is currently in the Marines.  Is there a way I can find out if he is telling the truth with just his name?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask him to produce a DD-214. If he can't he is full of poop!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a guy like that when I worked at AAP. Always telling stories of how he was a sniper with CIA's Phoenix...

Just ask some key questions:
What was your MOS? (37F, 11B, 68W, 99Z )
What was your Rank? (PVT, SGT, SSG, etc)
Where were you stationed? (Benning, Bragg, Campbell, Lewis, JBER, etc)
What units were you assigned to? (2/47 INF, SWCS, 2nd Bat, SFOD, 551 Sig, 304th Sig, etc.)
How long were you in?

Any fumbles on basic question like that and I'd be skeptical.

All those answers will give clues if they don't match up with the other information as well. (Like an 11B that has never been to Ft. Benning) A DD-214 goes a long way, but I'm not going to bring that in without a good reason either.

I wouldn't push too hard either. I think those questions are normal info, and beyond that if he did serve, he'll figure it out pretty quick that you don't believe him.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
some of these posers study up............ you really want to trip  them up

Ask them how many weeks  they spent at MEPS training

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a guy like that when I worked at AAP. Always telling stories of how he was a sniper with CIA's Phoenix...

What units were you assigned to? (2/47 INF, SWCS, 2nd Bat, SFOD, 551 Sig, 304th Sig, etc.)
How long were you in?

All those answers will give clues if they don't match up with the other information as well. (Like an 11B that has never been to Ft. Benning) A DD-214 goes a long way, but I'm not going to bring that in without a good reason either.

I wouldn't push too hard either. I think those questions are normal info, and beyond that if he did serve, he'll figure it out pretty quick that you don't believe him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ask them how many weeks  they spent at MEPS training

View Quote

Oh, I like that one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
That's funny. Almost made me think for a minute.

I'd say a comment about how the best training is at 30th AG would be fun to toss in there too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I was friends with a guy and it was similar to your situation. Lost touch with him for a few years and when I talked to him again he went on about how he joined the military and now he could beat my ass. Told me that he had been shot while in Iraq or Afghanistan and now he was out. He always posted pics of him in uniforms, but they were all locally taken. I've wondered if any of it's actually true, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask him what his laundry mark was when he's preoccupied.  If he's legit he'll know it.  I just asked my wife who has been out of the Air Force since 2002 and she rattled it off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ask him what his laundry mark was when he's preoccupied.  If he's legit he'll know it.  I just asked my wife who has been out of the Air Force since 2002 and she rattled it off.
View Quote

What? We are talking ARMY keep your hands off stuff that is not yours!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Either this guy is a idiot or he's telling the truth. if his dad and son are still alive I would think they would find out some how that he is telling this lie and say wtf. lets say he is that stupid and he's full of poop next time you are around him and any of his family members just bring it up how ever possible even if it is way out of left field to the conversation... "hey I didn't expect to run into you at Wal-Mart buying vegetables at the same time as me this kinda reminds me of that story you told me about when you where in the army". otherwise every one else has pretty much brought up all the questions you could ask to trip him up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a reservist, its entirely possible not to get a dd-214 (probably just get one from boot/ait/etc).

I was active duty AF, got my 214 from that.  But no 214 to show my time as a reservist.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#11]
He would still have 214s for Basic, AT, and any Deployments.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What was your Basic Company? A-3-3-3
What was your AIT Class Number? 21-76

If he cannot Instantly produce either then he is a Poser.  I'm not sure how the One-Station-Training would go, but I'm positive there would be At Least either a Company or a Class Number.

Believe me: There are some things you just Never forget.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If he cannot Instantly produce either then he is a Poser.  I'm not sure how the One-Station-Training would go, but I'm positive there would be At Least either a Company or a Class Number.

View Quote

Guess I'm a poser, I can't remember either.  Maybe it's oldtimers disease.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must be a poser.  I don't remember my basic company (bravo 3/something) or AIT class number.  I'm not even sure that I knew my AIT class number while I was in AIT.  I don't remember it being important.  There weren't many AIT classes at Bliss.

It's been over 25 years, but I typically have a really good memory for anything important.  I remember my drill sergeant's names (well, 2 of the 3) from basic, as well as the 2 from AIT.

ETA:  Apparently I am not the only one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know about that. 2/47 INF is burned into my memory, but the company is fuzzy. I think Delta. My SWCS class number was 05-09 and that's also burned into my memory.

They shouldn't stumble on the basics, but details might take a second to come back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]
lol at these threads. 23 years in now, and I have also have no earthly idea about an AIT class number, laundry mark, or some of the other crap in this thread.

I remember my roster number still from Jump School over 20 years ago, and I do recall my company in basic training, so it's not necessarily senility.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As a reservist, its entirely possible not to get a dd-214 (probably just get one from boot/ait/etc).

I was active duty AF, got my 214 from that.  But no 214 to show my time as a reservist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reservists get one at the end of AIT and when they get off 90+days orders or deployments.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had to struggle to remember my AIT class number. That's a lot easier to forget than your company at either location.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL. I have no idea what my basic class was. It'd take me a minute to recollect the year.

Anyone lame enough to falsely claim the Reserves requires no punishment. Their pathetic existence is punishment enough already.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask him his favorite MRE. If he answers anything other than 'none,' he's a poser.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
telling everybody that he was in the Army Reserves.  
View Quote

That's like saying you're a Treasury Agent.  Who would claim to be that, that wasn't?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ask him his favorite MRE. If he answers anything other than 'none,' he's a poser.
View Quote

Oh, now that is not true.  His answer should be something like

"Anything BUT Turkey and Rice" or "They taste the same with enough hot sauce"  
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't know about that. 2/47 INF is burned into my memory, but the company is fuzzy. I think Delta. My SWCS class number was 05-09 and that's also burned into my memory.

They shouldn't stumble on the basics, but details might take a second to come back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I couldn't remember my basic training bullshit either other than Bravo, until you posted this. B 2/47. I must be a poser.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I've always immediately suspected someone to be a BS'er if they proactively started telling stories, especially if they were rambling on. Funny thing about this one is that he's bragging about being in the Reserves. Not knocking the Reserves but most BS'ers aim for at least Tier 2 SF, right?

If you don't know about the military and he's volunteering info, just ask about stuff you'd like to know. Post here and you'll get good feedback.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All I remember is Delta Co.
numbers and all that other shit?  yeah right.

"how many weeks at MEPS?" is a pretty good one to ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to struggle to remember my AIT class number. That's a lot easier to forget than your company at either location.

Indeed.  For basic training, all I remember is that it was Alpha company.  Only reason I remember that is the mascot was an Alligator and that we had to tote around a cement gator replica.  Shit was heavy, with parts broken off and got old real quick.

AIT class number?  Fuck if I know.  Might have had one, don't remember it.  Went to AIT with a mix of all the branches, even Coast Guard.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you ask an old fart who went to AFEES instead of MEPS.

(Armed Forces Entrance and Examining Station)

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here except I'm only 26 I got out when I was 22 and I cant remember either from Boot camp, MCT or MOS school I can tell you my Co color was red that's about it

side note any one else have that issue I have to constantly call up an old buddy and ask him what months we where deployed and what the camp names where, possible service connected issue with burn pits or something else, or do I just have a shitty memory?!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Thought this was GD.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, other than the Troop, I couldn't tell you what unit my OSUT was and that was '05.

ETA: Nevermind, I see I'm not alone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:11:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

same here except I'm only 26 I got out when I was 22 and I cant remember either from Boot camp, MCT or MOS school I can tell you my Co color was red that's about it

side note any one else have that issue I have to constantly call up an old buddy and ask him what months we where deployed and what the camp names where, possible service connected issue with burn pits or something else, or do I just have a shitty memory?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've been out less than 4 years and don't remember when you were deployed or the name of the cop/cob/fob?  Something is fishy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You've been out less than 4 years and don't remember when you were deployed or the name of the cop/cob/fob?  Something is fishy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best bud on deployment is kind of like that. We'll be talking and he has forgotten a LOT. I think it all affected him a lot more than me, even with a little TBI I won't admit to.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#33]
you caught me I'm just faking it...

I cant explain it never really thought about it, till I was asked to fill out a survey for the VA seemed odd to me that one of the options on the survey was "cant remember" I chose to call up some buddy's and get the answers to be as accurate as possible. I'm wondering now if I should have answered to my ability's with out help. also I should say its not like I cant remember  being deployed its just the minor details I struggle with when I'm BSing with a buddy and they bring up something that I just don't remember but they swear I was standing right next to them when it happened stuff like that. it just seems very strange to me how poor my memory has become in the last few years. and its not just military stuff or deployment either, while at work ill get instructions to go somewhere and  ill walk out the door climb in the pickup 2 min later and ill have to go back in the office to find out where/what exactly I was doing. I should note I do have a history of selective hearing and the my tinnitus has not helped with that. I have never brought this up with the va I have also never heard any other vets having this issue maybe they just keep it to themselves like I do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you caught me I'm just faking it... with when I'm BSing with a buddy and they bring up something that I just don't remember but they swear I was standing right next to them when it happened stuff like that. it just seems very strange to me how poor my memory has become in the last few years. and its not just military stuff or deployment either,
Welcome to the party, pal.
while at work ill get instructions to go somewhere and  ill walk out the door climb in the pickup 2 min later and ill have to go back in the office to find out where/what exactly I was doing.
You're not teh only one.
View Quote

The rough parts, as I'm sure you know,  are when you've had a full length discussion on something, and an hour later, don't even remember having that conversation.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You know, other than the Troop, I couldn't tell you what unit my OSUT was and that was '05.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in C trp 6-16 Cav Ft Knox Disney Barracks when I was a Cav Scout in 89(NCNG)

B co 1-50th INF when I re classed to 11B in 95

Now I have no clue what my Airborne (1991) or Pathfinder class (2006) was but my Ranger class was 06-07

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea I can remember the FOBs I was at and i have 3 TBIs, but then again I kept a book on deployment and wrote all the stuff down.

Just pull out your Nato Orders they have the dates on them, I put all mine on a USB drive, or just go back and look at your EOT Award.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I cant explain it never really thought about it, till I was asked to fill out a survey for the VA seemed odd to me that one of the options on the survey was "cant remember" I chose to call up some buddy's and get the answers to be as accurate as possible. I'm wondering now if I should have answered to my ability's with out help. also I should say its not like I cant remember  being deployed its just the minor details I struggle with when I'm BSing with a buddy and they bring up something that I just don't remember but they swear I was standing right next to them when it happened stuff like that. it just seems very strange to me how poor my memory has become in the last few years. and its not just military stuff or deployment either, while at work ill get instructions to go somewhere and  ill walk out the door climb in the pickup 2 min later and ill have to go back in the office to find out where/what exactly I was doing. I should note I do have a history of selective hearing and the my tinnitus has not helped with that. I have never brought this up with the va I have also never heard any other vets having this issue maybe they just keep it to themselves like I do.

View Quote
Well I kept a journal and go back and read it, also go back and look at your ERB and all the stuff in your Military records, that helps me remember.

Plus I have a wife with a good memory and she reminds me of stuff, smartest thing I ever did was put our wedding anniversary date inside our rings

In my phone I keep all my notes etc as I have a bad memory as well, but im 47 so doing PLFs and a IED/VBIEd or two has made me NFMC a few times

Selective hearing....never admit to it just tell the wife its your tinnitus acting up

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#38]

ive got the tinnitus excuse ready at all times

those are some good ideas ill have to use them

im glad to see im not the only one with all these issues
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe.  I have not seen mine in years and am not sure where it is at in the house.

I filed one at the court house so I should be able to pick on up there if I ever need it.  But I am not taking a day off work and driving two hours one way because some one calls me a poser.

JMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How long were you in?

View Quote

I am a cannon cocker that never went to FT. Sill.  The Guard runs various MOS producing schools in conjunction with the RA for prior service.  So I did a two week course at FT Carson to get the 13b MOS.  Instructors were AD e5's and e6s.  IIRC Colorado used to also do a two week muddy puppy course and when I enlisted in 85 they ran a two At's and drills in between 91A combat medic school (Now I think it is a 63 series MOS, it changed after I got out in 2000.).
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously, I can not remember either of those things.  Fuck, I don't remember ever using a class number at AIT.  Of course that was 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not alone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is not uncommon.  I did the Gulf War Survey with the VA in the late 90's.  I could remember months but not days for most stuff.  But some stuff I could only remember that I went from the second platoon at KKMC to the third platoon but not when.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Removed because I posted this twice in a rare retard moment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#45]
My favorite is how many vets portray themselves as "operator as fuck" with their multicam hats with Velcro on the front (US Flag either on or off), 5.11 apparel, etc.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe.  I have not seen mine in years and am not sure where it is at in the house.

I filed one at the court house so I should be able to pick on up there if I ever need it.  But I am not taking a day off work and driving two hours one way because some one calls me a poser.

JMHO YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMHO YMMV

If it weren't for iperms, I couldn't show you a 214.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#47]

WTF is MEPS?  Something added since the 80's?

Laundry mark must be an Air Force thing.  We did our own laundry in the Army.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I know for a fact that MEPS existed in '83
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is MEPS?  Something added since the 80's?

Laundry mark must be an Air Force thing.  We did our own laundry in the Army.

I know for a fact that MEPS existed in '83

Still trying to figure out what a laundry mark is. Did our own laundry in Army Basic in 93.
IIRC Basic at Ft. Knox was Delta 1/47 - Warlords but I could be wrong.  

No clue on AIT.

Far as being stationed somewhere, still remember my 1st Reserve unit, the 322nd Maintenance Co in Arden Hills, MN. Forget the 2nd one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#50]
What in the hell is a "Laundry Mark"?

We washed our own in a tub with a scrubber board.

I entered 42 years ago.  AFEES processed, not MEPS.

Company was X-Ray 23

Struck my rate (on my own time).

Some of you guys are making me feel really old!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top