Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2016 8:33:24 PM EDT
So yesterday I message the local recruiting center for the marine corps and asked them if I was eligible with my shoulder injury which the injury is i don't have full 100% movement in my shoulder and needed surgery but anyway they messaged me to call them today for some basic screening questions which I did and he said he'll call back in 5 min because he was busy at the moment ( been over 2 hours). But I looked it up and im really worried because it says i can get disqualified for athsma but I haven't had problems since I was pretty young but I was still diagnosed. Am I not going to be able to join because I had athsma problems at a young age? Is it easy to get a waiver for this? Also thanks for your service for anybody in any branch of the military.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, Asthma can be a real deal breaker with the Army.  I had a friend that was almost denied back in 11 when they needed people because he had asthmatic.  More recently he was an all-state runner and ran a sub-12min 2-mile.  Army didn't care, almost nailed him to a wall for it, but he did get a waiver eventually.  Now they can be a bit more selective since we aren't really deploying.  I know that many who have voluntarily brought up their past medical issues have regretted doing so... especially when the previous injury didn't bother them.  Obviously lying on the medical sheet is something you should not do, but sometimes common sense should be used.  For example, I have a pilonidal cyst (fairly common, non problematic lump on the tailbone that usually goes away).  Their question was if I had any "Tumors, growths, cancers, or cysts".  Obviously my cyst is not what they are talking about and saying yes would unnecessarily open a huge can of worms.

Bottom line:  yes.  I believe that what you're describing can technically disqualify you if you bring attention to it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea, Asthma can be a real deal breaker with the Army.  I had a friend that was almost denied back in 11 when they needed people because he had asthmatic.  More recently he was an all-state runner and ran a sub-12min 2-mile.  Army didn't care, almost nailed him to a wall for it, but he did get a waiver eventually.  Now they can be a bit more selective since we aren't really deploying.  I know that many who have voluntarily brought up their past medical issues have regretted doing so... especially when the previous injury didn't bother them.  Obviously lying on the medical sheet is something you should not do, but sometimes common sense should be used.  For example, I have a pilonidal cyst (fairly common, non problematic lump on the tailbone that usually goes away).  Their question was if I had any "Tumors, growths, cancers, or cysts".  Obviously my cyst is not what they are talking about and saying yes would unnecessarily open a huge can of worms.

Bottom line:  yes.  I believe that what you're describing can technically disqualify you if you bring attention to it.
View Quote

I don't wanna lie and have it bite me in the ass later though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that completely and that's the attitude you should have with the military, but therein lies a paradox.  Best thing I can tell you is to talk to a few recruiters, see what they say.  Maybe your asthma is waiverable, maybe not.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Asthma is generally not waiverable.
Question though:
How long ago did the asthma symptoms recede?
What kind of lifestyle have you led in terms of athletic or physical activity?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:57:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a pdf of the Navy/Marine medical standards that might provide you with better questions to address to your doctor.

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Documents/NAVMED%20P-117%20(MANMED)/Chapter%2015,%20Medical%20Examinations%20(incorporates%20Changes%20128,%20130,%20135-140%20below).pdf
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Last I checked (recruiting for 4 years, back at the line for 1) if your asthma was prior to a certain age you are G2G with the ARMY.  I'm a bit fuzzy on the numbers but I think it was prior to age 12 you should be G2G.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Go down there and talk to them...face to face/eyeball to eyeball...you'll probably get a better response...
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it would hurt to have your home doc to write out his opinion on whether your asthma is is no-longer a problem for you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think it would hurt to have your home doc to write out his opinion on whether your asthma is is no-longer a problem for you.
View Quote

They may very well not care what his doc says at all. Had a coworker enlist in the Navy Reserves same time I did. Had a heart murmur. Had documentation/tests/affirmations from his doc and cardiologist(EKGs, echocardiograms, cardiac stress tests, numerous evals) that it was a non-issue("innocent" is the medical term for an innocuous murmur.) He was pulled from his first school three days in and separated. My Battalion Aid Station Senior Chief(45 at the time) was required to have his wisdom teeth pulled

If I had a nickel for the each of the "closeted" asthmatics I discovered in my unit over the years I'd have Fit'y cents or so. Even had a guy sneak Crohn's past the enlistment folks that blew up on a AT in Curacao requiring hospitalization. Most of the discoveries were in the field, hot, dusty etc and it "suddenly" kicked up. Come to find most of the time they were squirreling away inhalers and not reporting their attacks at all.

Jus' sayin'....sometimes the less they know the better as long as it's truly a pediatric history,  hasn't been an issue for several years and your doc is im concurrence with you and your plan..
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If it doesn't bother you don't say anything.
Can you run 4 miles in 36-40 mins without a inhaler? If so your GTG
Can you do 42 pushups in 2 mins without your shoulder hurting? if so keep your mouth shut.
Military is very selective now so might want to be quiet unless not having a inhaler is kill you.

Best thing to do is keep your mouth shut.
Free

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Worst thing they will do is put you out on a medical discharge, when I was a Drill SGT I had kids pull out their inhaler after a run and say WTF???

As long as they passed the run I didn't care and just kept a eye on them. Most said their recruiter told them not to mention it at meps.

I didn't care what was wrong with you if you could pass the PT test, and keep up on the road marches I could care less.

We did put a kid out with a bad ankle, the kid had scars and and metal in his ankle. It blew me away that meps missed it.

He was good for the run, but he couldnt make the ruck marches.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
]Worst thing they will do is put you out on a medical discharge, when I was a Drill SGT I had kids pull out their inhaler after a run and say WTF???

As long as they passed the run I didn't care and just kept a eye on them. Most said their recruiter told them not to mention it at meps.

I didn't care what was wrong with you if you could pass the PT test, and keep up on the road marches I could care less.

We did put a kid out with a bad ankle, the kid had scars and and metal in his ankle. It blew me away that meps missed it.

View Quote

I have to disagree with you.  Currently, standards are being enforced and people are getting an art 15 and discharged for fraudulent enlistment.  About 1/2 of them are not getting an Honorable.  Commanders are hurting for people and when they get a new soldier that is already "broken" and should not be in the Military due to a pre-existing condition the soldier failed to disclose, Commanders get pissed.  It is bad enough when a kid comes in with a waiver and can't meet the standard.  They get an MEB.

OP.  this is the paragraph from the Navy Medical Publication linked above relating to asthma  (same standard as the Army BTW).  

Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably
diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, does not meet the standard. Reliable diagnostic criteria may include
any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or
recurs over a prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.

Remember, you can submit a waiver for anything.

E
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have to disagree with you.  Currently, standards are being enforced and people are getting an art 15 and discharged for fraudulent enlistment.  About 1/2 of them are not getting an Honorable.  Commanders are hurting for people and when they get a new soldier that is already "broken" and should not be in the Military due to a pre-existing condition the soldier failed to disclose, Commanders get pissed.  It is bad enough when a kid comes in with a waiver and can't meet the standard.  They get an MEB.
OP.  this is the paragraph from the Navy Medical Publication linked above relating to asthma  (same standard as the Army BTW).  

Asthma (493), including reactive airway disease, exercise-induced bronchospasm or asthmatic bronchitis, reliably

diagnosed and symptomatic after the 13th birthday, does not meet the standard. Reliable diagnostic criteria may include

any of the following elements: substantiated history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea that persists or

E
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

]Worst thing they will do is put you out on a medical discharge, when I was a Drill SGT I had kids pull out their inhaler after a run and say WTF???

E
Really

yea it took me two years to get a waiver and the only reason got it was due to the 1st gulf war. I was DQed for 10 yrs over my head injury.

I guess things have changed as we had kids that carried inhalers if they needed them, and most of the times the recruiter told them not to list it so

you really gonna give some kid a ART 15 because the recruiter told them to do it?

I guess he will just have to decide if he's willing to take the risk of getting turned down or keeping his mouth shut.

I guess he will just have to decide if his dream of being a soldier is worth the risk, sometimes you gotta put all your chips on black and see what happens.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as you don't change your answer and don't tell anyone that you have had asthma in the past, no one will ever know.  A history of asthma is very easy to hide if you don't need an inhaler.  Not recommending, just telling you what I have seen.

Asthma will not get you kicked out if you develop it in the Army (Gee, asthma?  Really?  I never had that before) and it is controllable.  However, it will prevent you from entering without a waiver.

E
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Asthma on your medical records after the age of 13 will disqualify you from the get go.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I had to get a waiver for a heart murmur both times that I joined (17 and 35 after a break).  It's minor but it shows up every time I get a EKG so it gets noticed.

First time I had my family doc write a note that I was in good shape and ran a 10-something IST run (1.5 miles) for my recruiter.

Second time I had my personal doc write a note that I had done Parris Island, SOI, a police academy, SWAT school, run three marathons and a host of other physically abusive activities and hadn't dropped dead.  All good.

OP, how many pushups and pullups can you do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top