Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 10:19:22 AM EDT
Not sure if it has been discussed on this forum or not, but the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) now applies to active and retired military police. The Air Force has been up and running theirs for awhile. The Army just got theirs going recently and the Navy which should include the USMC, are still evolving. The National Defense Authorization Act for 2013 amended LEOSA to make these categories eligible to apply and receive a concealed carry authorization which is accepted in all 50 states. Just Google LEOSA and you can see the requirements and start the process from there. The cost varies depending on where you do the security clearance and some other stuff but it's around $200 for lifetime permit. I was hesitant at first because of the "weapons qualification" requirements, but it is easier to maintain than I thought.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The credential isn't good for life, at least not for the Air Force.  I'm pretty sure it expires after 5 years, after which you need to reapply and submit to another background check.

The Air Force chose to add an expiration date to the credential, even though that isn't a requirement in the federal law.

more info here
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
In my state (Illinois) retired civilian law enforcement officers pay between $75.00 to 100.00 per year for their LEOSA carry permit.  

Officers must complete and annual firearms certification in order to qualify.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top