Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2016 12:03:34 AM EDT
Hi all, I know this is the veterans part but I figured someone would be able to answer this question.

At meps, I barely, and I mean BARELY squeaked by on my hearing test. Before basic training I failed my hearing test, the nice Captain running the hearing department at Ft. Jackson told me that doing an EPTS would get me a waiver. So after 3 days of filling one out, I did a bit of research, I learned it was for a discharge.

Right after I learned that, my reaction was "Fuck that noise" and after 5 weeks and 6 days in the 120th reception BN, I was finally able to go to training.

So now that i'm back home, and now a member of the national guard, I have my first drill weekend coming up, which just so happens to be the one where we get poked and prodded with the medical readiness stuff. I'm guessing I will fail my hearing test again, which I'm going to try not to but it's not something I can exactly control anymore. Will I have to fight another discharge or will they make me a profile and let me go about my career as a 42A?

I have troubles in the 5K-8K Hertz range if that helps. Thank you all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If your hearing test is significantly worse than your baseline test, then they will want to do more testing to determine a cause. One of my buddies ended up getting hearing aids through the Army because his hearing had gotten so bad.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The funny ironic thing is, almost everyone's hearing is shot from 15 years of combat deployments...and they get waivers.

The National Guard selectively retains people based on their manning, or lack thereof.  In other words, if the unit is running at 50% strength like a lot of guard units, they will do anything they can to keep someone.

Wear earplugs for as long as you can (24hrs or so) prior to the hearing test.  Keep them in even when doing other stuff at drill; it's perfectly OK to tell people "I'm prepping for my hearing test."  Seriously, it will give your ears "a rest" prior to the test.  I know people, self included, who do it every time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
See the bottom of page 1/top of page 2 at this link. It looks like you should be good if your last test was in the previous year. I suggest going to My Medical in AKO as listed on the form and checking your info.

I don't remember having to do a hearing test in the Guard as part of my PHA, but it's been a few years since I retired.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The threshold for retention is lower than enlistment.

You are probably okay. But agree with wearing plugs for 12-24 hours before your hearing test.

And take care of your hearing during your off time too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See the bottom of page 1/top of page 2 at this link. It looks like you should be good if your last test was in the previous year. I suggest going to My Medical in AKO as listed on the form and checking your info.

I don't remember having to do a hearing test in the Guard as part of my PHA, but it's been a few years since I retired.

Good luck!
View Quote

I'm not guard, but reserves. We get a hearing test as part of our yearly SRP.

OP, you're not going to get discharged, but as a 42A I suggest reading up on your AR's. 40-501 is going to be your buddy in this case.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I know things have changed a lot since I got out, but I really see no reason why 42A would require normal unaided hearing.  You are probably fine now that they let you go through basic and AIT and your goal now should be to preserve your hearing; it does not grow back.  I am in my 30s and have the hearing of an 80 year-old
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
View Quote

Loved guessing "Is that the tinnitus or the tone?".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top