Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2015 6:37:56 PM EDT
How are military movers with shipping guns? I'll be leaving Alaska eventually and will have 40 or so guns that I brought up here on the ferry. I wont be able to leave on the ferry and am wondering what to expect when and if the movers move my stuff. So far I have heard good things.

Also please stay on topic because no I'm not selling them or care if you think I'm crazy etc etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I had two rifles stolen on a PCS that included long term storage while I was overseas. One was a gift which had major sentimental value.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any other option at the time other than trust the movers, or sell them.

When a found out they were missing 2 years later, I filed a claim and was reimbursed for whatever the standard reimbursement rate was at the time. Nowhere near the actual value.
I also reported it to law enforcement, but they didn't seem to really give a crap. I never heard anything more from them.

This was about 1989 or so. Things may have changed since then, but I never trusted my firearms with the movers ever again.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's see...When I PSC'ed from the west coast to the east coast my stuff arrived and I discovered that the box containing my VCR contained two bricks and a 2X4.

No fucking way would I let a mover move my guns. No way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
hmm. well so far everyone else I have spoken with today on ARFCOM has pcs'd in the last few years and didn't have issues. The last two times I have used movers I have had 0 issues but then again there were no firearms in my HHG shipment. Aside from that the last time I moved I asked about how high dollar items are shipped and not only did I have to fill out paperwork to document it all but there was supposedly a chain of custody for every time the crates were moved. But that company also said they were not allowed to move guns at all. So who knows.

Maybe I can use the power of mental projection to will them to the lower 48. That or use a jedi mind trick on the Canadian customs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How are military movers with shipping guns? I'll be leaving Alaska eventually and will have 40 or so guns that I brought up here on the ferry. I wont be able to leave on the ferry and am wondering what to expect when and if the movers move my stuff. So far I have heard good things.

Also please stay on topic because no I'm not selling them or care if you think I'm crazy etc etc.
View Quote

Last time I used them ( Sept. 2012 from NY) they "lost" both of my TVs... that's it. Thought that was super sketchy.

I got the movers to pay for it in about 3 months.

Probably be fine. Just make sure you know exactly what you have. but if you have.

Anything you think is irreplaceable you may consider alternatives
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Last time I used them ( Sept. 2012 from NY) they "lost" both of my TVs... that's it. Thought that was super sketchy.

Probably be fine. Just make sure you know exactly what you have. but if you have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All II have been doing is considering alternatives to alternatives. Nothing sounds good. Cant take 75% of my stuff through Canada, shipping via mail or what ever carrier will undoubtedly cost a few grand, could barge a vehicle full of guns but might get stuck paying the shipping bill for the vehicle. Flying with 40 guns better show up a day early for check in and you know TSA agents will be calling over their buddies and taking pics for facebook.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
What I would probably do is pick out a few of the more important ones. Like anything sentimental and mail those or fly with them.

Then of course make sure you have your serial #s for everything else.

You'd more than likely be fine, I'm just being paronoid. I have buddies that have used them without issue several times from all over the country.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Load in vehicle, take ferry
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]
My last two PCS's the people in charge of setting it up specifically recommended that I do not let the movers ship my firearms.  So on my final PCS out of the Navy I ended up driving from Florida to Texas with a truck full of guns!  I can only imagine the news story that would have been if I were pulled over.  Not like I was gonna speed anyway with how loaded down I was.  The whole back of the cab was firearms and the jeep was all ammo.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you not do a DITY/PPM move? That's the only way I've moved my guns, even when they move the rest of my HHG.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Bummer.  I never let those people near weapons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't trust those fuckers with anything that can walk away.

One PCS move I had a set of Service Dress Whites, my large medals, and a Bianchi shoulder holster stolen out of a locked sea bag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Load in vehicle, take ferry
View Quote

That would be a great idea if I wasn't due to DEROS a month after the last ferry out of whittier for the year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My last two PCS's the people in charge of setting it up specifically recommended that I do not let the movers ship my firearms.  So on my final PCS out of the Navy I ended up driving from Florida to Texas with a truck full of guns!  I can only imagine the news story that would have been if I were pulled over.  Not like I was gonna speed anyway with how loaded down I was.  The whole back of the cab was firearms and the jeep was all ammo.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/kalski/media/Vehicles/Civvy%20rides/DSC00728.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/Vehicles/Civvy%20rides/DSC00728.jpg</a>
View Quote

How did your poor truck pull all of that with out blowing a tire? We were 200lb over max gross on both trucks. Originally we were going to be 1200 lb over max gross on the pick up and I thought that was a very bad idea so we let the movers take all the reloading crap.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you not do a DITY/PPM move? That's the only way I've moved my guns, even when they move the rest of my HHG.
View Quote

Sure, through Canada. Hence my problem. Many, maybe half my guns are restricted in Canada and a few others are in the prohibited category.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How did your poor truck pull all of that with out blowing a tire? We were 200lb over max gross on both trucks. Originally we were going to be 1200 lb over max gross on the pick up and I thought that was a very bad idea so we let the movers take all the reloading crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/kalski/media/Vehicles/Civvy%20rides/DSC00728.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/Vehicles/Civvy%20rides/DSC00728.jpg</a>

It was an interesting drive to say the least.  Only about a 5500lb load total.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:28:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put airbags in the rear springs on the dodge to keep the truck level. They worked out great.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I put airbags in the rear springs on the dodge to keep the truck level. They worked out great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to do airbags as well but I really want to bag all four corners.  I tend to drive my truck like a sports car when I'm not towing or hauling my bike.  That picture was my final PCS after I retired from the Navy.

As for shipping your firearms I'd definitely ask the folks on base about the movers and their opinions on them.  I chose not to let them simply because I had so many and these guys were not exactly packing things very well to start with.

I'm still finding those damn inventory stickers all over the place too! LOL
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
When I PCS'd to and from AK, I packed all my guns in my safe and let the movers move the safe...

There were no problems.

On the other hand, be careful moving ammo through Canada.  The customs agents told me that hollow points were illegal...

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I just PCS'd from GA to CO and did a Partial Dity and a Military Procured move (or whatever they are calling it these days). I took my SBR's, pistols, Cans, and ammo in my tiny Wrangler. And the movers took my long guns. The contractors took descriptions and serial numbers prior to loading as well as the packers on moving day. They were packed in their original cases and/or soft cases then packed in a larger box and sealed. The outer box contained no identification relating to firearms; only the number ID stickers for the manifest. The packers had no issues with the details and had done it before.

Upon arriving in CO the movers unpacked all the boxes and had me cross-check all serial numbers as well. The one thing that pissed me off about the move in relation to the firearms was at some point all the boxes with serial numbered items were opened in order for someone else to check the serial numbers. I'm guessing at some point when all of the load was transferred between truck to container to truck then delivery it had to be checked.

So if you choose to have the Military procure your move and it will include firearms keep the following in mind:
1. Take your sentimental stuff/NFA items/expensive stuff with you and do a Partial-Dity. (You'll get paid for the weight anyways)
2. Ship only the firearms by themselves. Take off your expensive optics/lights/ or anything easily removed. Likely they will open the box without you there at least once to check serial numbers.
3. Make sure you have your serial numbers, make,and model list with you in case they should go missing AND to give to the contractor prior to the move.
4. Take pictures of the condition of the firearms, the packing process, the people packing, and anything else (to include the ID's of the 3rd party packers/in-packers at pick-up/delivery). When someone knows you've got their name and picture it makes them less likely to rob you later.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just PCS'd from GA to CO and did a Partial Dity and a Military Procured move (or whatever they are calling it these days). I took my SBR's, pistols, Cans, and ammo in my tiny Wrangler. And the movers took my long guns. The contractors took descriptions and serial numbers prior to loading as well as the packers on moving day. They were packed in their original cases and/or soft cases then packed in a larger box and sealed. The outer box contained no identification relating to firearms; only the number ID stickers for the manifest. The packers had no issues with the details and had done it before.

Upon arriving in CO the movers unpacked all the boxes and had me cross-check all serial numbers as well. The one thing that pissed me off about the move in relation to the firearms was at some point all the boxes with serial numbered items were opened in order for someone else to check the serial numbers. I'm guessing at some point when all of the load was transferred between truck to container to truck then delivery it had to be checked.

So if you choose to have the Military procure your move and it will include firearms keep the following in mind:
1. Take your sentimental stuff/NFA items/expensive stuff with you and do a Partial-Dity. (You'll get paid for the weight anyways)
2. Ship only the firearms by themselves. Take off your expensive optics/lights/ or anything easily removed. Likely they will open the box without you there at least once to check serial numbers.
3. Make sure you have your serial numbers, make,and model list with you in case they should go missing AND to give to the contractor prior to the move.
4. Take pictures of the condition of the firearms, the packing process, the people packing, and anything else (to include the ID's of the 3rd party packers/in-packers at pick-up/delivery). When someone knows you've got their name and picture it makes them less likely to rob you later.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip of removing accessories and taking photos and info. I didn't think of that.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#21]
DITY

Or else label and record everything. Make sure it's the first box you unpack and do inventory before they leave.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Guns and PCS to/from Alaska:
Check Canadian laws to see what guns you can travel with and what guns you can't. Don't fuck around with Canadian laws or you'll get burned.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FFL USPS OVERNIGHT RATE! ! !

I know a few dudes who've run into issues attempting to go through Canada.

Find an FFL in the US either at your home of record or at your next duty station.
Find another one in Alaska.
Coordinate before hand with the FFL at your destination to be able to pick your guns up.
Pay for a private transfer between FFL a and FFL B.

Then PCS in accordance with CANADIAN laws (I know two guys who had guns confiscated during PCS moves. One guy got his guns back through JAG and the other guy didn't).

EDIT - derp. Just read "40 guns".... Damn. Might have to see if they can do a bulk discount for the shipping.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:22:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sure, through Canada. Hence my problem. Many, maybe half my guns are restricted in Canada and a few others are in the prohibited category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, there really should be some regulation or Federal law or something that would allow .mil to PCS with their weapons to every duty station.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
On my last PCS, my mountain bike was destroyed, my video camera, a Nintendo with about a dozen games and a Zippo collection went AWOL permanently. NEVER trust a moving company hired by the military to move your stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I had them move close to 100 long guns when I ETSed.  No problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top