BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nomination received. One more step towards the end of the beginning.  
View Quote
Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Waiting sucks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Still waiting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Went thru this my son and he got an appointment and then had to wait till get an acceptance letter. He did get one though. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck to your son, my wife is an Annapolis graduate. She loved it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Congressional Nomination to the Naval Academy. I failed the physical. To make a long story short I passed the physical on retakes but it was to late for that year so I went to my backup school, SUNY MAritime college. If you choose to you can graduate with your BS or BE , a USCG license in the Merchant Marine and a commission in the USN.
I'm retiring a millionaire after 40 years of continuous employment. So it worked out for me.

SUNY Maritime Best Bang for Buck

https://www.princetonreview.com/schools/1024048/college/state-university-new-york--maritime-college

http://fortune.com/2016/09/21/college-salary-tuition-payscale/
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
My son is also waiting to hear from Annapolis and West Point.

It is ...wearing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is ...wearing.
View Quote
I wish him the best!

Go NAVY. Beat Army!
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is ...wearing.
View Quote
Good luck!  As you know, MD is a very competitive state for USNA admission.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good luck!  As you know, MD is a very competitive state for USNA admission.
View Quote
Thank you. Yeah, we were made aware of that pretty early. He still wanted to try, due to the campus, location, and curriculum.

The big dilemma will if he gets into USMA but not Annapolis. My understanding is that the leadership at West Point is heading in a direction I don't like. And one of his other applications is to Lehigh, which is my Alma mater as well as about 8-9 people on his mom's side. I want the best for him, but I can't say finances don't matter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Another '08 grad here. This thread has some great advice and realistic expectation management, but I thought I would add one more thing that I haven't seen.

I applied out of high school, but did NOT get in. I was pretty upset, but I moved on and started my freshman year at a university. After a few months, I decided I would simply apply again, but after a full year of college I had heard nothing. Finally at the beginning of June I found out that I was accepted, 3 weeks before Plebe Summer! It was a mad dash, but worth it!

Point being, if by some chance your son doesn't get accepted straight out of high school but he knows he truly wants to go, don't give up. Keep applying. As long as you're not 27 on graduation day you can apply until you're blue in the face.

That being said, bet of luck to your son! GO NAVY!
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just a lowly enlisted man but I have a few friends and folks I served with who went to the West Point and the Air Force Academy.  They all said it was very difficult but worth it.  I preferred serving under academy grads versus OCS/ROTC.  By far they were far better officers than the latter.

The one bit of advice I was given but didn't pay heed to was if a high school kid wants to go to a service academy was everything starts at the 10th grade.  They want a well rounded, intelligent, physically fit, community minded and above all, a potential leader.  What that means is a kid who is involved in sports, student government, volunteer projects, shows the percerverance to hit the books and get good grades.  When the boards at the academies get the prospective applicants file they will sit in a room and look at each one.  The murder board will literally pick apart every aspect of the aspirants life as shown in the file.  The reject pile gets pretty big.  Then whats left is let in and the true work of making another generation of leaders begins.  Then one day after that guy has punched his ticket and did his time, they almost always do quite well after the military.
Lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Turned down by USNA.

Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Turned down by USNA.

View Quote
Well fuck. I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you going to try again next year?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Turned down by USNA.

View Quote
Look into the NAPS program, that's usually a good alternative path to acceptance.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Or if he gets direct to WP I would take that.

Current 2/C at USNA and just spent a semester exchange at USMA.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Also consider NROTC Scholarship.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is what my oldest is looking at for the AF.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was my Commissioning source.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Turned down by USNA.

View Quote
Any updates on his plans?  I was turned down by both the USNA and USAFA right out of high school.  Got into USAFA a year later on my 2nd try.  It is not the end of the world if it is a dream of his.

I did a semester here after high school.  Great place for kids like your son if he still wants to pursue the Academy.

Northwestern Prep School
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Any updates on his plans?  I was turned down by both the USNA and USAFA right out of high school.  Got into USAFA a year later on my 2nd try.  It is not the end of the world if it is a dream of his.

I did a semester here after high school.  Great place for kids like your son if he still wants to pursue the Academy.

Northwestern Prep School
View Quote
This is good info.  Many people don't realize it, but there is a fairly large percentage of Midshipmen (and I'm sure it's true at other service academies) who did NOT come directly from high school.  Most people are aware of the prior service and academy prep school paths to the academies, but don't realize that a good number come from private prep schools and even other colleges.  A good friend of mine and fellow Marine did Rat year at VMI before doing plebe year all over again at USNA.  LtGen Lejeune, arguably the most famous and beloved Marine graduate of USNA, spent THREE YEARS at a prep school at LSU before getting accepted to USNA.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Son got the super thin email (no acceptance, no prep option) right before a huge swim meet.  Was somewhat in denial, then anger phase hit during the meet - swam his fastest times ever, including a Nationals qualifying time.

Still waiting to hear from West Point, but is about ready to say "fuck it" and accept at Lehigh (he's something like a 9x legacy there.)
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been hearing more and more about guys getting the nomination, but not the acceptance.

It was completely the opposite when I went there, ie, nomination makes you a shoe-in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my commission through AFROTC. I was dead set on going to USAFA from the time I was in 5th grade. Went to Summer Seminar and decided I didn't want to do that. Got a full ride scholarship and commissioned in 2012.

If I could do it all over again I would do exactly what I did. I think it prepared me life-wise for AD and I had a ton of fun in college (I lived directly across the street from Camp Randall Stadium, hard not to have a good time there). Once you hit a certain point you can't tell the difference in commissioning sources anymore, you end up with a pretty even mixture of shitty officers and good officers from each of the commissioning sources.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Got my commission through AFROTC. I was dead set on going to USAFA from the time I was in 5th grade. Went to Summer Seminar and decided I didn't want to do that. Got a full ride scholarship and commissioned in 2012.

If I could do it all over again I would do exactly what I did. I think it prepared me life-wise for AD and I had a ton of fun in college (I lived directly across the street from Camp Randall Stadium, hard not to have a good time there). Once you hit a certain point you can't tell the difference in commissioning sources anymore, you end up with a pretty even mixture of shitty officers and good officers from each of the commissioning sources.
View Quote
Afsc?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Afsc?
View Quote
13M
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, my son is going to attend a state school and swim there. I think it would have been a real stretch to try to walk on the NAVY team. I’m thinking now that he was definitely up for the challenge and would have been a fine officer, but serving isn’t his end all be all dream. With all of his transferable credits, he is practically a sophomore when he starts. He may Double major because of this. He seems more interested in research opportunities and eventually grad school.

The last few years of visiting and the whole application process was a great experience. Elite swim camp and Summer Seminar were great, two weeks living in Bancroft Hall!  Thanks everyone for your support and advice, ESPECIALLY NAVYDOC1!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top