Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2015 12:39:18 PM EDT
Today marks one year since I came home from Afghanistan and I can honestly say this has been the worst year of my life. I can't hold a job, bills are stacked up, and my confidence has been utterly destroyed. I never thought it was going to be this way when I came home and there are many days I wish I could just go back because their I had a job and I was damn good at it. Does everyone feel this way when they come home or do I have a problem? I don't know anymore I just want things to get better. Sorry about ranting I just can't talk about things like this to people.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, Thanks for your service.

My advice to you is to first make a plan.  Is the GI Bill available to you?  If so, research what career paths are in demand, and which ones interest you.  Take advantage of the GI Bill and get the training that will make you employable.  Many of the tech schools are also covered under the benefits.  Use them.

1st and foremost though, you have to have a plan, and then stick to it.  No plan = no results.  Years will tick away and you will get nowhere without one.  It's going to take hard work and commitment, but it's doable if you stick to it.  

2nd, try to connect with some of the Vet groups in your area.  Sometimes just talking with others in your circumstance will help a lot.  Use any vet connections that you might have.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
VA has counseling available as well.  Are there a lot of jobs in your area?  If not, come on down to Texas.  No state income tax & housing is relatively inexpensive.

Have you thought about going to college, and using your GI Bill to pay the bills while you go to school full time?
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wish I could afford a move to Texas the job market isnt that great here at least I haven't seen much. I'm trying to get my police officer cert but it hasn't been going well. Trying to find depth to sponsor me isn't easy
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, Thanks for your service.

My advice to you is to first make a plan.  Is the GI Bill available to you?  If so, research what career paths are in demand, and which ones interest you.  Take advantage of the GI Bill and get the training that will make you employable.  Many of the tech schools are also covered under the benefits.  Use them.

1st and foremost though, you have to have a plan, and then stick to it.  No plan = no results.  Years will tick away and you will get nowhere without one.  It's going to take hard work and commitment, but it's doable if you stick to it.  

2nd, try to connect with some of the Vet groups in your area.  Sometimes just talking with others in your circumstance will help a lot.  Use any vet connections that you might have.

View Quote

^^^^Very good advice!

Talking with other vets helped me sort stuff out.   Get in touch with a VA, DAV, or other local advocate and let them assist you in finding rehab, healing, and benefits.  Most importantly, they can help you help yourself transitioning your skill set into something that is not only marketable, but desirable to employers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wish I could afford a move to Texas the job market isnt that great here at least I haven't seen much. I'm trying to get my police officer cert but it hasn't been going well. Trying to find depth to sponsor me isn't easy
View Quote

You should check with the academy and see if they'll take the GI Bill.  IIRC the ones in Texas take the GI bill at a slightly reduced rate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top