Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/10/2015 11:08:20 PM EDT
For me, illusions of grandeur. Everybody wants to be a hero, save the world, get the pretty girl(s).

So cut the b.s., God, country, family, baseball, apple pie and Chevrolet?
Was it the G.I. Bill?

I'm really interested, let us be honest, I wanted to blow shit up and kill the bad guys and not go to jail for it, not to mention a little travel.

So the Navy gave me a few wrenches and a kick in the ass to keep their bombers going, death by proxy, well, it had to do.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a letter from my Uncle that said I won!!! Only time I ever won anything in my life.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
To get the hell out of my hometown and away from the people I grew up with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I had graduated from college and was headed to law school, I had an itch (I needed to paint my face, jump out of planes, blow shit up and shoot guns), it was the only way to legally scratch it.

(I went to law school a bit later).
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Escape from podunk East Texas, get some cash for college, and see something cool.

Saw enough to last a lifetime before I turned 20.

Never regretted a day of it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I signed up for ROTC in college cause they let me rappel and shoot...that led to enlisting in the guard..then commissioning on AD.  I wanted to blow stuff up, shoot and I honestly felt, and still feel that I should serve my country.  I was at a Boy Scout meeting tonight ( I'm a scout master). 60 kids and probably 30 adults in the room.  Me and one other guy had served in the military.  I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]

I thought it'd be cool to be in the Army.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I grew up poor. I had no where else to go.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to be a Marine.

I later joined the NG for the bonus and deployment dollars.

Looked for a contract gig after that but it didn't pan out in the timeframe I needed it to.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Dad, Step-dad. It's what we do, at least for a while or til war ends. Never questioned what my duty was to my family or Nation. No kidding.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I wanted to kill terrorists.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wanted to kill terrorists.
View Quote

I like the way you think.  

Please log out, then log back in.  Happy veterans day!

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The Eleventh.  It's been 14 years now - 6 to go.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:23:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Family business.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The Judge told me it was what I needed. He was right. I eventually graduated from College/OCS and marrying a Navy girl and had a son that graduated from West Point.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#15]
No choice...... I was drafted.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
It was what I wanted to do since I was five years old.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No choice...... I was drafted.
View Quote
LOL, almost the same for me.  I enlisted because my lottery draft number virtually guaranteed that I was going to be drafted.  I decided to do it on my own terms and joined the Air Force.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard that in the Army the women are mighty fine.

And I've wanted to since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Wanted to since I was young, was going to after high school but decided to go to college first cause if I didn't then I would never go. Went to school, partied, got my diploma. Then starting getting my college loan bill statements, couldn't go out partying. Uncle Sam came to me, told me they'd take care of that and pay me to drink, workout, and blow shit up. I made the right choice

But seriously, I started talking to recruiter about joining before I got out of college, already had an appointment for MEPS after I graduated. Everyone thought I was nuts, but felt like it was something I needed to. Wasn't till I was about to sign that the Army offered to repat y college loans and give me $2k signing bonus. Plus then sent me to be part of the last class to graduate from Fort Knox. But then the green weenie got me, sent me to Strykers, put me in an Infantry Battalion, promoted me ahead of my peers, gave me some.of the best friends I'll ever had, and some of the craziest stories as well.

I'll never regret a day of it, still miss it
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#20]
When I was about 8 years old, a pair of F-14s went over my house at very low altitude and one was in afterburn.  They were so low that the tree in my back yard lost a lot of leaves and we lost a few shingles from our roof.  They landed at the municipal airport and were parked there for a few days--I guess there was some kind of IFE and they diverted to the nearest runway.

I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen/heard/felt, and I knew I had to be around fighter jets.  I don't like water, so Navy was out.  Even after 20 years working on F-15s and F-16s, I can't stop myself from looking up when I hear a jet.

Learned a trade, traveled the world, experienced more than most.  No regrets
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#21]
walked into the recruiters office and told him I want a job where I jump out of airplanes and shoot people for a living.

true story
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Dad, Step-dad. It's what we do, at least for a while or til war ends. Never questioned what my duty was to my family or Nation. No kidding.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Pretty much the same as the OP. Except I turned wrenches on mines.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a Marine.
View Quote

That was the bottom line for me.
Always wanted to be a United States Marine and became one in 1989.

After accomplishing that, the rest of the challenges in my life were no longer challenges.

SEMPER FI MARINES!!!

RW3
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I wanted to kill Commies.  Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#26]
There was a guy who fought in the French and Indian War for the British and was later a Captain in the Virginia Militia during the Revolution that started it, then one of his descendants served in the Alabama Cavalry in the Civil War, then his son served in the Spanish American War, then his son was in the Great War.  Three of his sons served in World War 2 and one did it again in Korea.  Then my Mom served during Vietnam as well as her step brothers flying Phantoms in Vietnam.  Then I went off and served in OIF and OEF.  Thats just my Mom's side of the family.  My Dad's side are newcomers compared to Mom's family.  World War 2 was their first war but they all did WW2, Korea and Vietnam.  

Maybe we don't know any better, maybe we love our country and it seemed like the right thing to do.  I figured out at six years old our country was somethng worth serving and defending.  Nearly 16 years on I still think so.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I was a Patriot. I actually saw communism and the Military/Police state while stationed over sea's and I never forgot it. Thats why I laugh at those that think we have it here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I wanted to fly helicopters so I enlisted in the WOFT program and besides, my number was 88 so I decided to choose what I did. I already knew where I was going!
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]
somebodys gotta do it. my family has a good tradition of saddling up and protecting the sheep.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I wanted to kill bad guys, shoot things, and blow things up, while earning a paycheck to do it legally.

And America is pretty fuckin awesome.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I knew I'd wanted to be in the military since my dad was in the NG.

I'd looked at the Army and had a strong feeling I'd enlist to the Army.  

A buddy of mine who was in the Corps told me the awesome stories and about the places he'd been and shit he'd done.

After that I was sold on the Marines.  I didn't get the job I wanted I didn't get stationed where I wanted and I didn't get to re-enlist like I wanted.  However I wouldn't have changed a thing.

The guys I worked with are closer to me than my blood.  I wish I could go back but now I'm too old.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Family business.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I was curious what the fuss was about, so I had to see for myself.  Did 8, got out, missed it, went back in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't speak for myself since I was never in but I've heard from my dad multiple times that he joined because he didn't have shit. Dead beat father, mother with three kids working multiple jobs and still couldn't put shoes on her kids feet. He joined the Navy so he could make a life for himself and met my mother while he was in. He is one of the greatest success stories I have ever heard.

He likes to joke about how he wanted a pistol while he was on his submarine but found out they didn't let anyone have one. So he went and bought one for himself. lol
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I wanted to kill people. Sounds fucked but spend some time in an infantry platoon and its not a rare answer. Obviously that was the rationale of a foolish 18 year old. A year in Iraq much of it lugging a 240 around and never did grease anyone, in hindsight that may have been for the best.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#38]
"I was sitting there, on prom night, in that goddamn rented tuxedo and my entire life flashed before my eyes and I realized for the first time that I wanted to kill somebody."

-Martin Blank
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I love my country.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this + new fiancee at the time (big mistake lol).  I grew up in a small (<10,000 people NOW) town in NC.  Jobs were completely buddy system and no one like the "long haired, devil worshipping (which i didn't/don't), heavy metal" kid, so being black sheep of the town b/c poor + long hair + etc = time for change.  They offered a cash bonus (dumb...should have taken the college option lol) for the MOS I went in and *bam* .... 6yrs @ Ft. Polk lol
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Gave up a full ride scholarship to help pay for my fiancé's college. Worked in the steel industry for years. I saw the writing on the walls in early 2008 when most of our orders were put on hold (we made tanks for coal power plants) and decided to bail before the inevitable. Good thing I did. The whole company went under within two years.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#42]
9/11, and I was too tall to be a good marine. So Army it was.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Kicked it around for a decade. Coworker going into the Guard to augment his prior AD service credit pushed me over the edge
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Kicked it around for a decade. Coworker going into the Guard to augment his prior AD service credit pushed me over the edge
View Quote

Almost got to serve w/ you guys in Kuwait, but NY yanked the para & line # they'd already given me & called up some other fella.  Just as well - the skin cancer probably wouldn't have liked another 9 months of sun.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#45]
I joined because I wanted to hunt down terrorists and kill them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I had lost my direction in life after my mom died. I tried the civilian world Welding after I graduated my high school/vocational school. It didn't work for me and the cubical didn't either.

I thought shooting guns and playing on ships in cool places sounded better....... it was!
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#47]
My Grandfather joined the Army when he was 30 and fought in France in WWI. Dad served in the Navy in WWII and Korea. My Sister was an Army Nurse in Vietnam.  I went to a division 1 college to play football. Spent to much time messing around and was put on academic probation and lost my scholarship money.  I joined the Marines.  

My parents weren't very happy when I told them I got kicked out school and joined the Marines.  They eventually got over it.

Our son is a senior in HS. He has signed a scholarship letter of intent to shoot trap and skeet at a university and plans on taking ROTC military science classes at another school that's close.  I hope he sticks it out.  I know deep down he wants to join the Marines tomorrow, he has friends in the delayed entry program.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.

Did we just become best friends?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a Marine.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Do you want to go do Karate in the garage?

[afterwards we can grab another steak on a stone]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top