Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2015 5:05:19 PM EDT
In what year did the US Navy start issuing the current NWU's? (Blue Camo Fatigues)

Pontificator, served in the dungaree navy
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In what year did the US Navy start issuing the current NWU's? (Blue Camo Fatigues)

Pontificator, served in the dungaree navy
View Quote

In what year will they go back to the dungarees?  

Water Camo is ghey.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on where you were stationed.  The NWU's did not roll out all at once.

I know in Jacksonville Florida they rolled out around May of 1999.  Even though I only had a few months left in the Navy I picked up my full set.  Talk about OUCH for the cost.  The Parka alone was over $300!!

I started in the dungaree Navy and left just as the uniforms went to that stupid khaki top black trousers abomination.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I got out in 2009 in Corpus Christi, TX and nobody there had the blue camo yet. Actually I don't even remember hearing about it. They were transitioning from working whites/blues to the black trousers/khaki shirt combo.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Just in time for

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw them in 2008 in MCBH Kanoehe Bay

I lol'd
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I know if I went overboard, I'd want to be wearing bright orange. I certainly would not want to blend in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know if I went overboard, I'd want to be wearing bright orange. I certainly would not want to blend in.
View Quote

Can't pull Rhianna quality booty dressed like a square, bruh.

Besides.... sea aliens dude...
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did not really matter.  Blue coveralls or blue cammies = same difference.  

Hell our ship lost OSCAR which was a 6 foot long bright distress orange human shaped floaty!!

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

NWUs turn orange when seawater gets on them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slap yourself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Slap yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slap yourself.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had not considered sea aliens. Excellent point.

Blue digicamo for me it is, then.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
East coast rollout started February 2009. They were implemented at great lakes in March 2009.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks sort of like Iraqi NP camo, but less Russian influenced.   Also, please pick some sort of camo that sort of works as actual camo so you do not have to wear the uniform of the branch you are attached to.  It is much easier for everyone else to put 2 and 2 together to figure out what rank you are if you wear your own uniform and do not run around in ACUs with Navy rank on.  Everyone assumes you are an O6 because you are wearing ACUs and have a bird on your chest.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It looks sort of like Iraqi NP camo, but less Russian influenced.   Also, please pick some sort of camo that sort of works as actual camo so you do not have to wear the uniform of the branch you are attached to.  It is much easier for everyone else to put 2 and 2 together to figure out what rank you are if you wear your own uniform and do not run around in ACUs with Navy rank on.  Everyone assumes you are an O6 because you are wearing ACUs and have a bird on your chest.
View Quote

So the whole silver words vs. gold ones doesn't sufficiently give it away?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#17]
The drop dead date to phase them in and utilities out was October 2010 as I recall.

It's a good uniform, it doesn't turn orange when it hits seawater, it requires no maintenance other than washing.  It gets a little warm in the summer, but there's a summer version of it coming out that should be lighter material.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I got mine in Pensacola in 2009.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
My father retired from the Navy in '09, he never bought/was issued them. I did see guys around base that did have though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
East coast rollout started February 2009. They were implemented at great lakes in March 2009.
View Quote

West coast was toward the end of 2009.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe they were mandatory on 1 Oct 2010. I retired 1 Nov 2010 so I never had to wear the abomination of a uniform. Wash khakis forever!
DCUs were my all time favorite though...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw them at the MA schoolhouse at Lackland AFB in 2010.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It depends on where you were stationed.  The NWU's did not roll out all at once.

I know in Jacksonville Florida they rolled out around May of 1999.  Even though I only had a few months left in the Navy I picked up my full set.  Talk about OUCH for the cost.  The Parka alone was over $300!!

I started in the dungaree Navy and left just as the uniforms went to that stupid khaki top black trousers abomination.
View Quote

That date has got to be wrong.  I don't think anyone had digital in the 90's, including Canadians.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That date has got to be wrong.  I don't think anyone had digital in the 90's, including Canadians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't be right.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can't be right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't be right.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top