Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2015 5:22:10 PM EDT
I'm in the middle of a conversation with an old childhood friend about veteran's discounts.

He did four years in the Air Force as a computer programmer and asks for veteran discounts all the time.

I did twenty and never ask for a veteran discount. I did my time and don't feel like anyone owes me anything for it. If someone learns of it and thanks me for my service, I simply say "You're welcome" and move on.

I also don't go out on Veteran's Day and partake of a free meal offered by many places. It's nice of them to offer, but again, I don't feel as if anyone owes me anything.

I'm curious how other vets handle it.

What say you?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Expecting a discount simply because you are a ''vet'' is crass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't seek them out day-to-day, and frankly wouldn't want to contend with the crowds on Veterans Day just for some Applebee's or something.

I agree with your observation that some people try to use the privilege more than they may otherwise merit, which isn't very classy. But if a business owner advertises a particular deal or sale as "for veterans", then I would request one (if I actually needed what was on offer).

I dunno, I just don't think much about it. If someone offers, great, or it is obviously available, great, but otherwise, it's not easy to discourage the "turbos" unless you want to be a dick yourself.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, but that doesn't look like what the OP asked.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asking for a discount because he [friend] is a vet is crass. If the company had a sign that offered veteran discounts then that would be different.

I wonder if said friend offers to pay extra to a company ran by or owned by a vet...............yeah, he's just a cheap ass person at heart.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm curious how other vets handle it.

What say you?
View Quote

It's all situational dependent to me.  

I'm still in and moving all the time, so I know Lowes and Home Depot offer discounts.  As most of my purchases at either of those stores are PCS related and improving whatever rental home I've moved into, I'll typically ask for the discount for more expensive items.  Kind of do the "ya'll still offer military discounts" thing with the cashier.  Smaller items I don't bother.  Now at the last place I was stationed(big military area), the Lowes would actually ask if you were military when they rang you up.  

Of course if a company is advertising a military discount I'll take advantage of it provided it didn't need anything extra from me.

I don't go out of my way to seek them out, and I sure as heck don't "expect" them.  

Any offer of a discount is appreciated whether I take advantage of it or not.  I do not involve myself in the free meal deals, although I appreciate the sentiment.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend asks all the time. He was just bragging about the room upgrade he got in Vegas because he showed them his veterans ID (Illinois DL with a veterans identifier on it).

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My friend asks all the time. He was just bragging about the room upgrade he got in Vegas because he showed them his veterans ID (Illinois DL with a veterans identifier on it).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I suppose that meets fxntime's definition of expecting them and crass.  That's not me.

I rarely show my CAC, and have no military related information on my license although it does have an odd combo of a couple different states and not related to the state I am standing in.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I did 23 years. Big ticket purchase at Lowes/Home Depot,  OK.  Meals/other small change? No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did 23 years. Big ticket purchase at Lowes/Home Depot,  OK.  Meals/other small change? No thanks.
View Quote

Agreed.

I'll use it at Home Depot and Lowes for big purchases because I know it's offered. But asking some place if they offer a veterans discount? No, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
What I hate is all of a sudden pro military and pro veteran become antis and take away the discounts. I stopped buying at Foot Locker for that reason. I have a "V" on my DLand I use it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I subscribe to the same school of thought as you.
View Quote

Yep, same here.  never even ask about them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I always ask for the military rate at hotels and discounts at Advance auto and lowes.

Free
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Lowes, Home Depot, buying a car, sure. My wife asks a lot more than I do.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't like the discounts. I will turn down a discount more times then I accept one.

I feel embarrassed when I am somewhere and I see the Rhino Wife asking for a discount, if you need a discount for what you are buying then you shouldn't be buying it

When I retire in 2 yrs, I'm moving to a town far away from a military base so I can leave this all behind
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#16]
If you talk long enough like at places like your cable company, satellite radio, your county tax assessor's orifice, County fairs you can bargain and get discounts without even mentioning you are a veteran
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been in almost 16 years now and I'm not one to always ask for it.  I get a bit irritated when I'm at the check out and my wife starts on the, "Ask for a military discount." shit.  Shes a vet too and works in finance, but it always seems like begging to me.  Now if the clerk happens to see my military ID or I'm in uniform I'll take the discount if they offer.  Much of the time I just don't want to attract attention to myself or I don't want to hear about how cousin Marvin is in the 4th ID or their Dad was a Navy SEAL.  I've also seen way too many vets get all indignant about discounts and that makes us all look like a bunch of cheap bastards.  

The best one I ever saw was standing in line at the shopette at Nellis AFB and some dumbass E2 starts demanding a military discount.  The clerk said, "Sir, you're at an AAFES facility which already discounts the prices and there's no sales tax as it is."  The little dumb fuck wanted to argue with the clerk.  By this point I had enough and told the clerk to cancel the sale and told the E2 to take a walk and come back when his case of retard subsided.  That earned me a round of applause from the now backed up line that the moron caused.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
It is changing, with the 8 years of Zero and people who say POW's are not heroes the sentiment towards vets is heading back to what it was in the early 70's
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Hotels, Lowes, and my FFL gives 5% off to CAC holders or retirees.

Other than that, never.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I would never ask at mom and pop stores or restaurants.  Publicly traded companies?  Hell yes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Last Vets day a grocery store asked If I was a Vet. When I said yes they gave me 10% off.

Nothing wrong with it. When I was in they'd just as soon spit on you. Its nice to see these young troops being appreciated. My son is now serving his country. He came home once and I took him to breakfast in his uniform. A customer paid his bill and left before we could even thank him.

Everything we have, everything we are, has been paid for in blood by veterans and troops. Its nice to see them appreciated even with this clown Obama in. These youngsters need all the support we can give them, we send them to these terrible conflicts so young. I'll never knowingly give a veteran or a troop a ticket for simple traffic offenses. Only an asshole Liberal wouldnt be grateful to these young troops.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
It looks like I get to roll out this True Story out again.  It's like this: When you raise your right hand and enter the Military it means that you volunteer to become a target for Bad Guys.  WE and not some delusional hipsters are the TRUE Human Shields.  We exists to shield America and our allies from Bad Guys and Gals throughout the world.

Just in case you don't understand: Giving discounts is Good PR for the establishments in question.  Be nice to Veterans and more regular people will come to visit.

Williams Taxi Cab Service.

In early 1976, after Basic and AIT, I was assigned to an Armor Battalion at Fort Hood.  I was not then nor ever was I a Tread Head.  A few short months after I got there this multi-month long test called BART was started.  Look up Baseline Armor Reliability Test on the Internet.

Those of us whose Prime Mover was the M151A2 Truck, ¼ Ton (Jeep) were assigned as drivers for the Evaluators.  It wasn't bad at the start; I never had to know how to drive before and here I was learning to drive and getting my First Drivers License!  (How I centered the jeep on a shallow mound in the middle of an open field is another story )  They had a Corporal Williams from my company to be in charge of all us Jeepsters.  He was a Cool Dude that knew when to cut us some slack and when to crack the whip.  In his Honor we all called ourselves Williams Taxi Cab Service.

There weren't many locations on or around the Fort Hood military reservation that we didn't drive to at one time or another.   Copperas Cove Lake #1, Copperas Cove Lake #2 and the “ruins” in between the two; Copperas Cove road, Elijah Road, Cowhouse Creek,  Rattlesnake Road, East, West and Old Range Roads; I forget how many times I drove up and around North Fort Hood as well as taking the road that took you Off the Reservation to go to West Fort Hood and its bunker complex, Radar Hill as well as Robert Gray Army Air Field.  I once drove completely around the Fort Hood Impact Area using the Range Roads as well as Hubbard Road.  I could tell you why I did that, but I don’t think you’d believe me.  One time I drove a Major into the normally forbidden Impact Area.  I wound up taking a couple of pictures of a small heard of goats living among some small cliffs inside there.  Unreal.  I wish I still had those pictures.

By the end of BART we were all tired and worn out. There was the Story of The Lost Platoon, the PFC that took a BART rubber stamp and went a little bonkers with it. Give me time and I'll probably think up more stories.  A few years ago I bothered to look up BART.  Read the next to the last sentence Here and know the REAL reasons things ended as they did.

In gratitude for all of our hard work our Battalion CO had a jeep trailer filled up ice and water then added cans of soda and Other beverages for us to drink and partake to our fill.

A few months after BART was finished Corporal Williams and I had an argument over I forget over what. That is the point, that is NOT the point, is too, is not, etc. By this time I was a Spec-4 and we were both able to say BTDT over several things. We respected each other one way or another. Shortly thereafter a 3-Day holiday – Memorial Day I belive - came around. That Tuesday morning I learned that Corporal Williams was in a bad car accident. He broke his neck and was paralyzed. I never saw him again.  I sometimes wonder what happened to him.

Ever since then whenever I had to give somebody a lift somewhere I usually mutter or call out Williams Taxi Cab Service strikes again!

As another Veteran’s Day comes around I shall be once again be in one or more lines for a free car wash and a free meal or two.  I’ve earned them.  But while I’m in line I’ll be always thinking about Corporal Williams.  While I’ve earned my place in line I know there are many others out there that have earned their places far more than me.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't seek them out, but I have had people notice my VA I.D. in my wallet when checking out and offer it, if they offer, I accept.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
If it is a company that offers vet discounts then it is perfectly fine to pull out your VA ID card.  IMO, it is not OK and is trashy to ask for/expect them from anywhere else.  I have good health insurance so Lowes has seen my VA ID much more than the VA has

I personally would not be comfortable taking a free meal from a restaurant on Veterans day, but have no issue with vets who do.  It is a marketing strategy to build customer loyalty and retention, but I do not want/need handouts nor do I feel any privilege other than being blessed with serving with great men in Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't usually ask for them, I also don't go out of the way to find them either.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Veterans Day is going to be on a Wednesday this year.
This means that the stores that give out free goodies will escape the wrath of freeloaders had it been near or on a weekend.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#27]
nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top