Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2015 10:42:28 PM EDT
I guess I'm too old school. I thought "disability" to any degree, meant that you had some injury during military service that hindered or precluded you from work. There are a couple local boys, who joined the Marine Corps out of high school a few years ago, had one deployment to Iraq, and are now on some kind of disability for a service related injury. One of them, I'm told, is a 100% disabled.

There isn't anything physically wrong with either of them and they both hold down full time jobs. Both peckerheads were involved in a parking lot fight which resulted in a car chase and they took some shots at some other boys. Nothing ever came of it, however. One of them did a year in the County for another altercation of some kind. He was made a Trustee and worked at the Courthouse for most of his year long sentence.

So, how about someone explain to me how you can be "disabled" yet have nothing wrong with you and work a full-time job.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
100% and a full time job, They either lied or scamming the system. Last I knew that was a big no no and could possibly  lose va disability, if they get reported the va will do an investigation. Don't take it as set in stone im just going off what I've heard at the va.

I'm at 60% an don't look injured but I sure do feel it...

here's some info.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a rating of 100% you can still work.  Myself, I have a 90% rating but I am getting at 100% unemployable.  I can not work or I get dropped back to the 90%.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a very high permanent rating and a full time job (which I specifically chose because of the life insurance benefits)...but I've also had to go to the ER a few times this year because of long term conditions resulting from those overseas injuries and wounds. I had to be defibrillated twice in one of those incidents. Gunshots heal, shattered bones mend, but bacterial infections can screw you for the rest of you life. Not all prosthetics are visible. I'm probably not going to live long enough to see my toddler learn to drive because of my injuries, but I look normal and can walk and work. My doc gave me a handicap sticker but I get dirty looks when I use it because I'm in my mid 30s and look healthy.

My meds make me stupid sometimes and my boss asked me if I could adjust my meds, I said I could but I'd have to talk to my wife because it would mean it would reduce my remaining life expectancy by a good chunk. I used to lead men in combat and manage millions of dollars in projects, stuff that my current boss' boss doesnt even do. Now I work a job with new college grads, it's humbling.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, you are incorrect in your belief that a VA service-connected disability rating precludes you from working. It's a very common misconception. A service-connected disability rating is simply the government reimbursing the service member because an injury or illness incurred during their military service which has an impact on their quality of life after they leave the military.

Take my own rating, for example. Prior to joining the Army, I was a competitive swimmer in high school and either walked, ran, or rode a bicycle to get where I was going. While in the Army, I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent multiple surgeries and chemotherapy. Shortly after completing chemo, I developed exercise-induced asthma. Additionally, eight years of wearing 100+ pound rucksacks and taking long walks through the woods took its toll on my feet and knees. The VA has rated me at 30% for the asthma, 10% for the cancer, and an additional 10% for either arthritis or tinnitus (I'm rated 10% for one, 0% for the other, I can't remember which is which). That rating is because my life has been negatively impacted by my military service. Can I still work? Absolutely. But, I can no longer run, swim, ride bikes, chase my daughters around the yard, go hiking, or even talk on the phone at the same time I walk down the street. Hell, I get winded just walking up stairs sometimes.

Secondly, you're judging a book by its cover. You look at them and see nothing wrong. But, you don't know what's wrong with them internally. They may have a bad case of PTSD after watching their best friend get evaporated by an IED. Or, they could be like me and have a respiratory problem and bad joints. Or, if they took off their shirts, you might see scars which would make all but the stoutest of hearts cringe. (While I was going through chemo and staying at the Fisher House, one of the other occupants was an AF F-15 mechanic who'd been crushed between two cars and pinned under the hood of one, with his back resting on the hot engine until the fire department could free him. His back was nothing but scar tissue.)
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
TBI and PTSD are valid conditions that generate disability ratings.
You can also be separated for a variety of medical/mental conditions.
From their behavior they may have some kind of mental disability.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
There is the 100% disabled rating and the 100% UI (unemployable individual)disabled rating. I am rated at 70% (paid/rated 100% UI) and was told that I could not have any form of income from working. It might be a case by case decision. Like others have said: not all wounds are visible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top