Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 7:41:22 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to enlist in the Army and need help choosing between 11x and 13x. I would really like to go to airborne school, air assault, and eventually ranger school. I understand being an 11x I would have a better chance at those schools. I don't care about metals and badges on my uniform, or what people will think of me, the schools will be for me and my own personal reasons.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't enlist 13X, you might end up in rockets.

You also might want to pursue Airborne school as an enlistment option, otherwise you might end up, as an 11 or 13 series, going to an armored unit where those types of schools will be harder to get.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, if I go artillery I definitely want 13b or 13f, and I definitely want Airborne as an enlistment option.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#3]
13f.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Can someone tell me more about 13f?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Active duty?  If NG, ignore my comments.

The only X jobs you should concern yourself with is 11X and 18X.  18X is not something you go into on a whim.  

Do not go 13X.  I never heard of it until now, and something that splits into so many widely different MOSs is not a good thing.  If you want a 13 series job pick 13B or 13F.  As much as I love gun bunnies, 13F is a better MOS.

Get airborne in your initial contract.  You will have a 99% chance of ending up(initial assignment) at 3 different locations as a 13B, and the opportunity to just about double that as a 13F.  Provided you can pass whatever they use for a physical, no airborne no join.  Even if you think it's just a school, it can open the door to shitloads of other opportunities down the line if you decide to do other stuff.  

As far as merit badges and shit, I know plenty of 13series with the full collection.  Generally speaking, only more pathfinder is difficult to get as there aren't MTOE slots.  Still plenty of 13series that attend though.

Why those two career fields?  There are plenty of other options out there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you want to do in the Army?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You go out with the Grunts and call for fire, eventually become a JFO to help the JTAC call in air and depending on unit become a JTAC.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes sir I plan on enlisting as Active Duty. To be honest I didn't score high enough on the GT portion of the asvab for 18x...(thinking about retaking the test though) I want to be in a combat arm mos, and I want to make a career out of the Army.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You go out with the Grunts and call for fire, eventually become a JFO to help the JTAC call in air and depending on unit become a JTAC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

From the quarterly FAPO email:  "MOS 13F is a primary integrator of joint fire support and executor of tactical indirect fires across all maneuver formations."
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pretty much.

From the quarterly FAPO email:  "MOS 13F is a primary integrator of joint fire support and executor of tactical indirect fires across all maneuver formations."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your go out with the Grunts and call for fire, eventually become a JFO to help the JTAC call in air and depending on unit become a JTAC.

Pretty much.

Sounds intriguing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
If you ain't Infantry, you're support
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#12]
OP   retake you're asvab  and see if you can get into  68 Whiskey    Combat Medic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
The correct answer is 11X.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
03, 11, or 18.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]
11B with an Option 40 contract.

Have fun with that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
if you didnt score high enough for 18x, go 11B
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What do you want to do in the Army?
View Quote

OP,

What do you want to do in the military.  You say "combat arms" and many will come in and say 11 series.  Rightfully so, if you want a no shit "I'm combat arms" job, 11 series is the way to go.  There are plenty of other combat arms jobs out there, but "To the everlasting glory of the Infantry" is more than just a line and saying.

You say you want to make it a career.  As an 11 series, are you able to graduate Ranger within your initial enlistment?  If not, be prepared to have your career significantly limited, or at the very least not advance as fast as your V qualed peers.  There are exceptions, but are you one of those exceptions?

Most combat arms jobs are extremely detail oriented and barely tolerate the lazy or less intelligent(not talking about ASVAB tests as that means jack/shit).  Your 11B or 11Chuck is not some dumb fucking grunt, although they can be.  Some extremely intelligent dudes wearing crossed rifles.  Similar with your other mentioned MOSs of 13B or 13F, they are not just some dumbass gun bunny or stupid fucking FISTer.  They can be, gun dummies earned their rep for a reason.  However, if you aren't detail oriented, switched on, and intelligent, you'll kill the wrong folks as a 13series.

I also asked why the two career field you focused on.  There are other combat arms jobs out there.  Look at 19D.  Other than the gay jokes, light cav scouts are OK.  Avoid 19K as the motorpool sucks and 19Ks are not light and might as well live in a motorpool.  A few others out there.

I do not recommend you retake your ASVAB.  1. You're recruiter or other recruiters from that service may not allow it.  2.  You may score worse than you already did.  3.  The only thing your recruiter cares about is is your AFQT is >50.  GT and all that shit applies to your job.  

Another poster mentioned 18 or 03.  We already talked about 18X.  You're currently not qualified, and it isn't something you should do halfassed.  He does bring up a point about 03.  Why the Army and not the USMC?  Replace 11 with 03 and 13 with 08.  There are advantages to both services.  The rule for airborne in the Army still stands.  If qualified, no airborne, no join.

So what do you want to do in the military?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to fight for my country and be the best soldier I can be, but retiring in 20 years and possibly going back to school doesn't hurt either.

I looked into the Marines a few years back but decided to follow in the foot steps of my family and go Army, nothing against the Marines or other branches.

The reason I chose these MOS's is that they interest me the most, again nothing against the other MOS's. I like the thought of calling for fire, or even working on a gun crew (cannons or mortars). I want a job that's going to keep me active, I'm currently working a desk job and hate it, or maybe I'm over thinking things. I was a fat lazy kid (366lbs at 15 years old) but I've managed to lose the weight and change my lifestyle...

I'll be the first to tell you I'm not book smart, but I'm by no means stupid, dumb, ignorant, etc, I was blessed with street smarts. As an EMT I know exactly what I need to do on a call but I can't explain it, I just do it.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm being a smartass, I'm not, and I really appreciate the help and advice
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
How old are you?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Always
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How old are you?
View Quote

I'll be 24 in August
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#23]
If you can't go 18X, then go 03 Marines. 11 years Army.

I can't say I'd recommend joining these days to anyone with any talent or intelligence. Work fast food and go to community college if that's what it takes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#24]
11x. If you are lucky you'll get to jump out of planes and carry heavy pipes around.

18x as well, but get with somebody so you know what the selection and schooling process is first.  You will be in a pipeline of selection and schools for 24ish months before you ever get to your unit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you considered 19D?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was a fat lazy kid (366lbs at 15 years old) but I've managed to lose the weight and change my lifestyle...

View Quote

How long ago did you lose this weight?  Was it a crash thing just recently, or just gradually over the last 9 years?  

How are you as far as exercising?  General cardio capabilities such as running or walking fast with heavy stuff.  How about strength?  If you haven't really exercised much, we aren't telling you to go out and take a PT test right now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#27]
18X if you cant then 11x or 19D with Airborne.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#28]
FDC has given you the best advice possible.

You should strongly consider 11X, you really can't go wrong with B or C. Make sure you get airborne school IN YOUR CONTRACT. If the option is there for a Ranger contract, you can't go wrong there either.

I didn't know they were doing 13 series as an X program now, I would stay far, far, far away from that if at all possible. The only two 13 series MOS's worth having, are as listed: 13B and 13F. And 13B you run the very real (and awful) risk of winding up on an SP gun: self propelled. It looks like a tank, and you'll wind up in the heavy side of the world. The heavy side (across the board, mechanized infantry self propelled artillery and tanks) is definitely not the high-speed area that light and airborne units are. And they are maintenance-heavy jobs. You will learn to hate the motor pool.

If you can't get 13B (with airborne!) or 13F guaranteed, I would stay far clear of 13 series. You do NOT want to wind up as a 13R, 13S, or heaven forbid a fucking 13M/P (MLRS/HIMARS/rockets). These are listed as combat jobs, but I don't know anyone who would consider 13R or 13S a combat arms job, even if they do wear crossed cannons. 13R is counter-battery radar, and 13S is field artillery weatherman, or whatever gay name they've given it now. The mere thought of spending an enlistment in one of those jobs sends shudders down my spine.

I'd strongly suggest, based on the things you've mentioned, that you seek out an 11X contract, with airborne.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#29]
18X is not for everyone.  If you want to kill people and break things, I recommend Ranger Batt.  18X is for kids with high self monitoring, language skills, who are self starters, that can laugh at themselves, and have never uttered the word, "I quit".  SFAS is a brutal wake up for 70% of the attendees and the SFQC washes out another 25%.

Choose wisely.  If you have any specific SFAS/SFQC, or SF career field questions, feel free to contact me.

18Z50
Nous Defions
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Get an option 40 contact. Don't sign unless it's option 40. 18X will just have you running around Bragg as an 11b. IMO, The opt 40 will likely have you at Bragg as an 11b as well though given your apparent lack of commitment. I say just go 11b with an Airborne contract and see how things go from there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, I am going to have to agree with FDC, 18B30 and Naffenea. Now take this as you want since I was never Army (MC) but after reading this thread, the Army descriptions of jobs (11x, 13x and 18x), talking with a buddy who is former SF and my own experiences with how shit goes in the MC I can say that if you don't do some serious soul searching, be honest with yourself about your abilites and your commitment to a career field and do research into all possibilities about what can and from what I have concluded probably will happen, you are going to have a really shitty career.

First off, I can agree with most that the 13x route is more than likely not what you are going to want, so consider that out since the chances of you getting screwed seem pretty likely.
This takes us to the next one, 11x with an option which is likely the way you'll want to go vs getting that 18x contract. Here it is in a nutshell, and please if I am wrong someone let me know as I am passing on the jist of what I have been told and read from my research.
If you choose the 18x option you essentially have a semi guaranteed chance at selection and won't have to wait to hit E-5, but you get one shot at it and one only. If you screw it up then its back to 11x anyway and you will more than likely go to the 82nd and be miserable. My buddy's suggestion: because you plan on going career, what's the rush? You have plenty of time to do it and by the time you hit E-5 you will probably be physically and mentally prepared and mature enough to pass selection and all follow-up training. He said the option 40 is probably the best route. Basically he said that the only thing going with the 18x contract vs the 11x contract with 40 option will do for you is allow you to get that semi guaranteed slot at the selection without going ranger first.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to enlist in the Army and need help choosing between 11x and 13x. I would really like to go to airborne school, air assault, and eventually ranger school. I understand being an 11x I would have a better chance at those schools. I don't care about metals and badges on my uniform, or what people will think of me, the schools will be for me and my own personal reasons.

View Quote

11X.

The only 13 series MOS that even sounds like fun is Foreward Observer (13F). If you're lucky, then you'll get to go to the Infantry. If you aren't lucky, you'll end up in Ft Sill.

I'd also say fuck all the haters and look at 19D Cavalry Scout (with Airborne option) as well. Ending up in an Airborne RSTA unit gets you the same schools as the 11 series (though you can't go to 75th Ranger Regiment), and you don't live by the flagpole. I've never looked back at my career and honestly said "Man, I wish I hadn't been a Scout" or "Man, being Airborne is lame!"

Whatever you choose, I can't stress AIRBORNE enough if you want to go do awesome shit. Aside from watching tanks and Brads do live fire, awesome shit doesn't happen in mech units.

Also if you go to MEPS and they don't have the option you;re looking for, tell them taht you don't want to join. If you're qualified, the recruiter will pull strings and get you the MOS you want within a week.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
11x. If you are lucky you'll get to jump out of planes and carry heavy pipes around.

18x as well, but get with somebody so you know what the selection and schooling process is first.  You will be in a pipeline of selection and schools for 24ish months before you ever get to your unit.
View Quote

18X is also the best recruiting tool the Airborne Infantry ever devised
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

OP, I am going to have to agree with FDC, 18B30 and Naffenea. Now take this as you want since I was never Army (MC) but after reading this thread, the Army descriptions of jobs (11x, 13x and 18x), talking with a buddy who is former SF and my own experiences with how shit goes in the MC I can say that if you don't do some serious soul searching, be honest with yourself about your abilites and your commitment to a career field and do research into all possibilities about what can and from what I have concluded probably will happen, you are going to have a really shitty career.

First off, I can agree with most that the 13x route is more than likely not what you are going to want, so consider that out since the chances of you getting screwed seem pretty likely.

This takes us to the next one, 11x with an option which is likely the way you'll want to go vs getting that 18x contract. Here it is in a nutshell, and please if I am wrong someone let me know as I am passing on the jist of what I have been told and read from my research.

If you choose the 18x option you essentially have a semi guaranteed chance at selection and won't have to wait to hit E-5, but you get one shot at it and one only. If you screw it up then its back to 11x anyway and you will more than likely go to the 82nd and be miserable. My buddy's suggestion: because you plan on going career, what's the rush? You have plenty of time to do it and by the time you hit E-5 you will probably be physically and mentally prepared and mature enough to pass selection and all follow-up training. He said the option 40 is probably the best route. Basically he said that the only thing going with the 18x contract vs the 11x contract with 40 option will do for you is allow you to get that semi guaranteed slot at the selection without going ranger first.

View Quote

As long as you can maintain the PT standards and handle the harassment at student company, you will go to SFPC and then SFAS with an 18X. The cadre do a good job of preparing you for selection, but you have to stay focused and push yourself.  

The only thing I can speak towards in regards to the Option 40 is that the guys I went to OSUT with that washed out all ended up with the 25th in Alaska.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How long ago did you lose this weight?  Was it a crash thing just recently, or just gradually over the last 9 years?  

How are you as far as exercising?  General cardio capabilities such as running or walking fast with heavy stuff.  How about strength?  If you haven't really exercised much, we aren't telling you to go out and take a PT test right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was a fat lazy kid (366lbs at 15 years old) but I've managed to lose the weight and change my lifestyle...

It was over the past several years. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week and I'm doing some form of cardio, and various body weight exercises when I can't go to the gym. I still have a good ways to go to be ready though.

Personally I would much rather be in a Ranger Batt over 18x...
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#36]
As  a former 18B/11B, I would suggest 13F in a Ranger contract. Or 13F with an airborne contract, if you can't/won't get Ranger. By doing this you will have a solid foundation in field skills, LOTS of time dealing with map reading/land nav, and a great understanding of the concepts of fire support, comms, etc. This could later lead into an outstanding background to be a 18B, or other avenues. A Ranger tab as a 13B will make you more competitive for promotion against your peers also.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Pick an MOS that will allow you to do shit you will never have a chance to do in the civilian world. You don't want you war stories to your grand children to consist of....well, I went to the motorpool, the field, the PX and then went home every night.

Despite what others tell you, volunteer for everything. It's all about the BTDT.

I might add I was one of the original 13Ms and the last one to retire. I've been to 2 wars, 16 countries, sailed across the Atlantic twice, saved lives and taken lives. I've seen the sun rise on Iran and the sunset on North Korea, and a lot in between. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you can't go 18X, then go 03 Marines. 11 years Army.

I can't say I'd recommend joining these days to anyone with any talent or intelligence. Work fast food and go to community college if that's what it takes.
View Quote

This next fiscal year is going to be interesting, he could be at Sand Hill with the 1st transgender, the 1st female 11B, etc.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#39]
11V, go big or go home.....then 18 series..then join a SMU....then open your tactical shooting school....retire..write a tell all book...
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Long term planning is great and all, but I wouldn't be deadset on pulling 20 years.  "Fighting for your country" over the next few years might consist of SHARP, EO, and Operation Clean Sweep for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top