Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2015 7:17:47 PM EDT
Hello, I am wondering if anyone here can help with a few questions that I have.

I enlisted in the National Guard 20 Sept 2013.  Basic training was done last year and I have spent the rest of the time waiting for an OCS opening.  Long story short, the classes kept getting delayed or pushed back due to the numbers.

Currently I am looking at a few different enlisted MOS's.  My recruiter (original recruiter is gone, the replacement does not have much interest) is not giving me a straight answer and I am wondering if I have to be MOS qualified (back from AIT) by my 24 month anniversary or if I simply have to be enrolled in an AIT school by then?  He told me that I could ship by 20 Aug 2015 but that doesn't seem correct from the research I have done.

One MOS I did look at had a five month long AIT, is that an option for me or would I have to re-enlist if I time out?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you affiliated with a unit?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I am only with an RSP unit and am not prior service.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I am only with an RSP unit and am not prior service.
View Quote

Does your RSP unit have a 1SG?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes we do, the old one just retired and there is a new one taking over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes we do, the old one just retired and there is a new one taking over.
View Quote

What did he say when you talked to him?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did he say when you talked to him?
View Quote

The old one told me that I had limited time to get MOS qualified.  That was a month ago when I saw him at drill.  The new one is "still getting settled in" so I haven't seen him yet but on the phone it was "talk to your recruiter".  Basically not much help, the older one was a good guy and I wish he was still there.

Basically the clock is ticking down and I don't want to be heading to the airport for AIT only to be told that I can't go due to the 24 month anniversary of enlistment.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Officers get Branch Qualified. Enlisted get a MOS. If you are slated for Branch School wait it out. When you go to drill you will be picked up by someone and tasked accordingly. If you are OCS then you will most likely be assigned to a LT who will lead you around/mentor until you get branch school. Check your contract and make sure it says OCS. Once that is verified keep it handy and show it to the recruiter. If you have gone to basic you are in for 8 When you go to drill your getting paid and it counts towards your contact fufillment just make sure you hit the roll.

I think you are just anxious. But that is cool. Many people have gone in via the delayed entry program. I have had friends who went to basic after 11 grade during the summer, then after graduation continued on with MOS/OCS. some States have their own OCS programs and some use the Army's OCS program. It depends on the Branch. I have a freind who attended OCS on the weekends in SCARNG, it took along time but she did it. It may be they are waiting for a class to form up.

Go to your State Area Command STARC and look up the Retention Officer or G1 personnel office of your STARC and start asking questions. Do not stop. Leave messages, call and recall. Call the gerneric office number and start talking to everyone you can until they can point you to who you need to speak with. Your local armory can be of some help but everyone you need to help you is @ STARC. Be persistant and polite. If possible go there and stand in someone's office you will get what you need.

Be prepared to get handed off-a lot. Take names and numbers prior to being transfered on the phone. Keep a written list. Drop names.

If you are OCS candiate then do not settle for anything less. If you think things are tough now, wait until you take an MOS and try to go to OCS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top