Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2015 7:00:39 PM EDT
So I'm curious if anyone knows about the med process for Enbrel and my future outlook.

Back story: I served 4 years active Marine Corps infantry, normal joint ponit etc you would imagine while being a grunt. I got out in 08' rated at 30%. Moved home and joined the Guard and have been in the Guard since. I've been going to the VA for lower back issues and nerve and joint pain. I just got put on Enbrel to stop ankylosing spondylitis, this medication suppresses your immune system.

My questions are, can you remain in the infantry while on Enbrel?

While on Enbrel, are you automatically going to be put on a medboard?

Anyone else have ankylosing spondylitis?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#1]
As a retired med officer I would say ankylosing spondylitis would be a disqualifying factor for service period. You should expect to soon be medically discharged
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Some states are hurting so bad for bodies it seems as long as you keep your mouth shut there are no problems. Some guard commanders would rather have ten crippled guys then just once healthy guy (not saying your crippled). There are guys in my platoon with 70% VA and no one cares. And hey, perhaps you will get med boarded and then be medically retired (although I am not sure how this works in the guard), and that isn't exactly a bad deal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
AR 40-501 doesn't answer that?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have ankylosing spondylitis.  I've been on Enbrel since '03.

I can't fathom being medically cleared for duty with AS, much less being on Enbrel.

How were you diagnosed?  Sacroiliac x-rays?  HLA B27 screen?  

I'm sorry man but your military days are over if you have a positive AS diagnosis.

-p.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I've been told, varies from AR 40-501. I have no profile or board.

I hit positive for BLA27 and confirmed through MRI.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top