Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 2:04:08 PM EDT
Need someone in "the know" to help me answer a question.

A child is born overseas who is the child of a Military Service Member Father and an American Citizen Mother.  Does the military help the parents file the Consular Report of Foreign Birth Abroad or is that entirely up to the parents? Is that maybe something the military would automatically file for the new born child?

Every minor requires a passport to travel back to the USA regardless of age now, but was that the case pre-9/11?  

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My daughter was born on base in Seoul, S. Korea, just before 9/11.  The military didn't help us to file the birth with the Embassy, which was not an issue because it was so easy for us to do.

It was a real simple task to take the birth certificate from the base hospital to the American Embassy and they handled everything, no problem.

Yes, it was a requirement for our daughter to have a passport to travel.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
My son was born in Okinawa Japan. The process was fairly easy, but very long. The USNHO had an office that dealt with just this stuff. They would gin up the forms and tell you what you had to have, and what you needed to sign and where to send it. It took us close to 6 months to get him his birth certificate and his pass port.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My youngest was born at Bitburg, Germany in 1987. He has a Certificate of Live a birth Abroad. As I recall, all the paperwork was taken care of at the base.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm civilian born abroad. Filing my paperwork was easy according to my dad. You shouldn't need military help unless something's really changed. I was on my mom's passport until I was a bigger kid. Then got my own around 12, I think. Getting my French passport was easy too. I just have double papers for everything since my mother was a foreign national and I maintained dual citizenship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top